Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Manc

WIP Downtime

For those that may be trying to access Wads In Progress, an excellent site for posting and critiquing upcoming Doom projects, you may be having a bit of trouble. Boris let me know that it's just an IP issue, and it will be resolved within the next day or two while the dns servers update.

Damn. My favorite boards. Fortunately, It'll end soon.

Nick Perrin said:

That's because its not fixed *YET*. Give it a few days.

So this fix dee-lee might let me get to the page? :D

Mancubus II said:

Boris let me know that it's just an IP issue, and it will be resolved within the next day or two while the dns servers update.

DOOM Anomaly said:

So this fix dee-lee might let me get to the page? :D

Some others have previously reported being unable to access it during normal operation. This is not related to that, though I will not say that there's a 0% chance this will have any affect on it whatsoever.

Mancubus II said:

Some others have previously reported being unable to access it during normal operation. This is not related to that, though I will not say that there's a 0% chance this will have any affect on it whatsoever.

I hope it does work though, I've been wanting to look up some wads on there for a long time. :D

You know, I've found that if I can't access a certain website, running it through something like Babelfish (set to Chinese->English or something, so it won't try to translate English words to English and screw things up) often works wonders.

Admittedly I've only used this "trick" to access sites that have been blocked (by parents, school, employer, whoever) using nanny software.

Also, it generally only works with websites rather than forums, browser-based games (e.g. Kings of Chaos), etc.

Ok, wadsinprogress.info is working again now, but wadsinprogress.info still points to the old IP (at least for me), it this one might take a couple more hours until it is propagated.

There are a few people who can't access WIP at all. I made a few tests with Chris Hansen months ago, and apparently the user's packets are lost somewhere in my ISP's network. Not really anything I can do about. So if it didn't work for you before but does now, be happy and feel free to post it here ;)

boris said:

So if it didn't work for you before but does now, be happy and feel free to post it here ;)

just the opposite actually. I used to be able to access it, and now I can't.

sLydE said:

just the opposite actually. I used to be able to access it, and now I can't.

Yeah same here. I think my packet went to hell. :(

The thing is, WIP used to work for me just fine, and stopped working a few months ago. I tried all three links, and it still doesn't work. What did you change a few months ago? Try and remember, maybe you can fix it!

Nick Perrin said:

The thing is, WIP used to work for me just fine, and stopped working a few months ago. I tried all three links, and it still doesn't work. What did you change a few months ago? Try and remember, maybe you can fix it!

apparently the user's packets are lost somewhere in my ISP's network. Not really anything I can do about.

You could try to do a traceroute (just enter "tracert 62.143.31.50" at the command line) and see where the problem occurs.

Liberation said:

I cant get to wip with the normal address yet,

but http://wip.paci-fist.org/ works fine.

Same here. And I used to access Wadsinprogress.info without any problems. Good that Paci-fist works for me at least.

NiGHTMARE said:

You know, I've found that if I can't access a certain website, running it through something like Babelfish (set to Chinese->English or something, so it won't try to translate English words to English and screw things up) often works wonders.

Admittedly I've only used this "trick" to access sites that have been blocked (by parents, school, employer, whoever) using nanny software.

Also, it generally only works with websites rather than forums, browser-based games (e.g. Kings of Chaos), etc.

Thats because you're sending it through a proxy. If you have to access stuff through a proxy, you a) have a fucked up ISP b) live in the middle east or china or some other place trying to shield the truth from it's citiziens or c) are at work/school/other place that censors stuff. If you want, get a webserver, install PHPProxy (http://whitefyre.com/poxy/) and then make sure no one knows its thier so it's not blocked by websense (this is assuming you live in a country with a shit government, or want to go to sites at work/school/etc), and it's not abused by other people. Also check with your webhost service, who may not be too pleased with you stressing the server.

So this PHPProxy thing should solve my problem? Is that all it takes?(This is for my computer at home, so I guess that means my ISP is fucked up? I live in Canada so I'm not blocked from any sites)

I just hope I can get it fixed by myself- If I ask for customer service from my internet provider to help get me to WIP all they're going to tell me is to reboot and check and uncheck random stuff, then transfer me to higher tech levels where I'll be on hold for 30 minutes and then be told that no one is available and they'll call me back once they're available, which they've never done. (sorry for the quick rant, it's just internet customer service is HORRIBLE)

PHProxy should be your last resort, and if you live in Canada you shouldnt need it (except for work/school). Talk to your ISP, or think about switching. It may also be another problem altogether, but this is what it appears to be. Talk to your ISP. PHProxy would be slower, unnecessary, and pointless for you, and your ISP would have to be extremly horrible to force you to use it. I just wasnt sure where you lived, but if it's Canada then dont even worry about a proxy.

Also what appears when you try to access these sites? A 404? A browser error? An "access denied" error?

EDIT-------------------------------------------------------

Hmm, it appears I'm talking to two people (nick and nightmare). Whoops =) Nick the WIP thing is serverside, and therefore nothing but server stability will fix the problems. Also, a proxy is not a good permanent solution (like I said before) anyway. I can't access WIP either (not found), if it makes you feel better ;D

I guess I'll e-mail my ISP instead of calling, calling will get me nowhere. Maybe they can sort it out, whatever the issue is, but like I said ISP customer service is bad.