Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Map names

I've used DeHacked to edit the text strings for the automap names and intermission after MAP06 in Doom2.exe to suit a project I'm working on. This worked fine after re-naming Doom2.exe and using the command line wadname -wadname.wad and when I'm ready to release the project I intend to make a .bat file to accompany. However, is there a command line I can use so the changes I made in DeHacked will work on source ports (namely ZDoom)?
Also, it appears I cannot change the map names on the intermissions after each level. Must this be done by replacing the graphics - with XWE for example? If so is there somewhere I can download the font used.

Thanks in advance.

With most source ports you load dehacked patches by having -deh blahblah.deh in the command line.

Must this be done by replacing the graphics - with XWE for example? If so is there somewhere I can download the font used.

That would work. You can use XWE or NWT for this. I don't know where you can download the font but you can extract original graphics with the letters you need and cut & paste them into the names you want.

Re: the .deh file. I've heard of these but have never used one. Since my DeHacked changes are currently in .exe format is it just a case of me renaming the file?

Re: extracting graphics. I've not used XWE before but assume it must be pretty straight forward. I'll give it a go. I'd thought about cut/pasting but hoped there may be an easier, less cumbersome method.

Thanks the both of you.

For ZDoom aren't BEX patches more supported than DEH? if you went that route the command line parameter would be "-bex blahblah.bex".

On a side note if you were making a batch file to run on ZDoom i'd look something like this...

-----------------------------------------
@echo off

zdoom -iwad Doom2.wad -deh balhblah.deh -file blahblah.wad -WARP 1 -SKILL 3
-----------------------------------------

You can also load additional wads by adding another "-file" parameter. I know you didn't ask this but i figured i'd offer, just in case.

purist said:

Re: the .deh file. I've heard of these but have never used one. Since my DeHacked changes are currently in .exe format is it just a case of me renaming the file?

No. While in dehacked, you click on "Save", and it offers a dialogue box "Enter save patch filename". Choose something like blahblah.deh. The file created should be a text-file (check with, e.g., Notepad that it makes sense, and isn't random junk). If you're using a very early version of dehacked, then the option to save as a plain text deh file may not exist, in which case you need to switch to a more recent version (or use Whacked).

I've managed to make my .deh file now - thanks Grazza, Denny. Turned out there was a stray # in the DeHacked.ini file preventing it from saving to the patch dir. Still won't work though - ZDoom says it's old and unsupported, much like a pensioner's tits. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and download a newer version.

Re: extracting graphics for level names. I started extracting the CWILV files and (this is going to sound stupid) got as far as J before realising no level in Doom or Doom2 actually uses this letter! Is there anywhere I can get the full alphabet?! The only place I can find it in Doom2.wad is the smaller red lettering used for pickups, etc.

I am making progress with my .wad, be it slow and strained.

purist said:

Re: extracting graphics for level names. I started extracting the CWILV files and (this is going to sound stupid) got as far as J before realising no level in Doom or Doom2 actually uses this letter!

If you have Final Doom, then Evilution (tnt.wad) map23 contains a letter J (Lunar Mining Project).

Good point, I hadn't checked Final Doom. Or even Thy Flesh Consumed. Surely every letter has been used over the course of 132 official id levels (though I can't think for sure off the top of my head).

Apologies for the double-post. If you include both Final Doom level sets you can get the full alphabet, including the '-' I need. Thanks Again!

You dont have to use the Doom Letter, you can just type something out in word, give it a background and a nice font/size. Then using an editor resize it and replace the level you want to.

The whole process takes a while and gets tedious, but it would take far less time then copying/pasting all the letters.

I did that as a test first off to make sure I could replace the text properly but I'd rather have it look similar to the original Doom lettering. It's actually not too bad a process. You can get the full alphabet by extracting only six, I think, CWILV** graphics.

Ugh,
I remember how long i had to fiddle with the cwilv graphics, to finally get all the level names for rebirth!

HAH!

Why don't you use a completely MAGENTA Interpic, combined with a MAPINFO lump in ZDoom to change the level names how you want them, then take screens, and cut them out? It's what I do! How easy is it to import, then? ^_^

Jayextee said:

HAH!

Why don't you use a completely MAGENTA Interpic, combined with a MAPINFO lump in ZDoom to change the level names how you want them, then take screens, and cut them out? It's what I do! How easy is it to import, then? ^_^

Sounds very easy, except I don't know how to make a MAPINFO lump in ZDoom or otherwise. You'll have to excuse my ignorance - I'm still a learner.