Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LordEquimanthorn

What's your favorite graphics program???

god I hate gimp... the interface makes me want to stab things. I don't know how people put up with it.

I use PSP7 and 8, though I'm not overly fond of 8 since it takes forever to start up, but I use it anyway for some reason. Pfft what do I care anyway, I'm a programmer, not an artist.

Scuba Steve said:

The Gimp is a steaming pile.

Yeah, I agree. I took a look at it and I barfed. Disgusting program.

Paint Shop Pro 8 - They overhauled the interface, upgraded pretty much every function and fixed a lot of the annoying things about PSP7. It's more heavyweight, but it's worth it. PSP9 is out now, but when I tried it I wasn't impressed at all.

People will often say PSP sucks compared to Photoshop, but I really think for what most people want to do with them, PSP is better. If you want to do professional quality work, obviously Photoshop is the way to go; but for most amateurs PSP is a lot quicker and simpler (and cheaper, if that matters to you), whilst still giving you a lot of power.

The latest versions of The Gimp, with GTK 2.0 and the redesigned interface actually seem a hell of a lot better. I've not used it enough to make any firm judgements though.

I had become addicted to Corel Photo-Paint since days when Photoshop had no 8-bit palette editing. And I think PS still sucks for his cumbersome interface. Sorry Adobe.

I have to go with blod on this. I have used both Adobe Paint Shop Pro and Corel PhotoPaint and PhotoPaint definitely gave me a better feeling. Both applications can do about the same things, so its really just a matter of preference.

Some day I'm going to code my own graphics editing program, optimized for pixel graphics.

Fredrik said:

Some day I'm going to code my own graphics editing program, optimized for pixel graphics.

I get the feeling allot of poeple are thinking this...

The weird combo of PSP8, Photoshop7 and MSpaint(The mostly used paintprogram from me).

I saw that Photoshop cost about 608$ somewhere. i would'nt buy it THAT expensive.

I use Paint Shop Pro 4.12, only because my sister's old boyfriend put it on our old computer and only recently did I realize it was cracked (it is the shareware version but after 30 days it can still be used. I always though it was a bug.) Other than that I just started trying to use the Gimp because it's free and you can make animated .gif files with it, even though I haven't figured out how to make it work.
Speaking of really old paint programs, anyone remember Dr. Halo? I toyed around with it when I was a kid but I really don't know what it was capable of.

Piezo said:

Speaking of really old paint programs, anyone remember Dr. Halo? I toyed around with it when I was a kid but I really don't know what it was capable of.

Ok, Dr Halo wasnt of my list of obscure old graphic programms, but does NeoPaint ring a bell? ;)
A yeah, used Mario Paint a lot back in my childhood. It has some nice ideas, like the tileeditor that i would like to see in serious modern programms, but for the rest, it just was a toy. And MP was horrible slow when saving and loading... still a mysteri to me ;)

Adobe photoshop 6.0. Since I'm no sprite artist, PS gives me the freedom to add effects, blur, anything, and do it easily. Like for example, my most recent use, making a grey circle into an excellent smoke sprite.

GIMP, because I enjoy the warm comfort of a steaming pile.