Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skeletor

Color in space

So, besides planets, the sun, and stars is there color in space? I was wondering cause whenever I see images of space, like nebulas and gases and stuff like that, I think that there would be no color since they are just gases. Also, aren't those images enhanced with color so the gases can be seen?

Some nebulae do emit light, others reflect light from nearby light sources, and some are "dark nebulae". Regardless, there's no requirement that says the light coming out of them, if any, is restricted to white light only.

The nebula's color depends on its chemical composition and amount of ionization. Due to the high prevalence of Hydrogen in interstellar gas, and its relative low energy requirement for ionization, many emission nebulae are red. If more energy is available, other elements can be ionized and green and blue nebulae are possible.

positron/electron annihilation may be colourful, if brief

anything emitting or reflecting light could be

Skeletor said:

So, besides planets, the sun, and stars is there color in space?

Yes. Color is just different wavelengths of light.

I was wondering cause whenever I see images of space, like nebulas and gases and stuff like that, I think that there would be no color since they are just gases.

What? Havent you ever heard of Neon?

Also, aren't those images enhanced with color so the gases can be seen?

No. How else do you think we are able to "see" gases?

fraggle said:

What? Havent you ever heard of Neon?

Not to mention the other noble gasses. If it weren't for Argon, the light bulbs in our houses wouldn't be nearly as bright.

ahhh i see. thanks for the replies. Was wondering cause I always saw images that say "enhanced with color."

insertwackynamehere said:

What about the blackness? Is that nothingness? Infinity?

Blackness is a lack of light, or something that absorbs all color, that's all. Infinity? That's a mathematical concept, not something physically tangible. Space has form and is manipulated by matter...it's not nothing

lol. nice cartoon.

ohhh I see. Yeah, I've seen that demo in physics where each picture is red, green, blue and when put together it creates a full color image. awesome.