Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
silent_killa

How many people play zdoomgl here?

I'd probably play it if it didn't crash after 5 seconds of gameplay, or if JDoom wasn't around.

JDoom - Well for me it's the only port that doesn't crash in OpenGL mode. Go check out the screenshots and download it, it's worth it.

is jdoom good?

If you don't mind the display looking like the marine just got clubbed upside the head repeatedly, it's ok.

ZDoomGL is buggier than a spider's web.
Why?
*It crashes after starting up.
*Most of the time I am sent crashing back to Desktop with a "Couldn't find imp/imp.md2" error.
*When I can get it to run, there's no background images. Just a yellow screen.

That's why I play Legacy, EDGE, or just vanilla ZDoom most of the time.

thats odd, i play zdoomgl perfectly fine...

Do you know how lucky you are? Chances of Lut finishing millenium before 2002 are bigger than running ZDoomGl without it crashing!

Do you know how lucky you are? Chances of Lut finishing millenium before 2002 are bigger than running ZDoomGl without it crashing!

At first it didn't work either, since the fact that it said something about md2 so I spent a few hours searching for a md2 pack and I found one that seems to be official, I think and I installed it and it worked after!

you could have also just turned them off, most of them look awful, still better that huge smudged sprites though. If you're gonna play with GL then use md2's if not than stick with sprites.

I've tried using the -nomd2 switch at the DOS prompt. Doesn't work. Exact same error every time.
Not only that, but every MD2 pack I try to d/l takes two eternities to get 400k downloaded, so I've just about given up on those.

Until there is support for hi-res, hi-color textures and flats, Opengl in Doom will remain inadequate. 3D acceleration features in general make a mess of 128x128 (or less!) 8 bit color graphics. For now, Doom looks far better with software rendering. I suspect it always will...

I only play it if I have to,that is if there's something worth playing with it.I would say it works about 50% 0f the time.One time though it corrupted everything and I had to re-format my HD,nightmare.So it makes ya nervous.
Some of the MD2 models are good but some I can't take seriously............lemme try JDoom.

I guess it's time to debunk that myth...

Ignore these incompetent and ignorant fools, killa. ZDGL is my port of choice (right behind Vavoom, that is). You see, they don't have the patience to make a program work like it's supposed to; that's why I like all the 'unpopular' ports (Vavoom, ZDGL, and GLEdge are my 1st, 2nd, and 4th (respectively) favorite ports). None of the ports are consistently unstable for me.

You see, they don't have the patience to make a program work like it's supposed to;

Or their hardware is different than yours.

None of the ports are consistently unstable for me.

same here I run zdoomgl perfectly fine, but I just wanted to know if theres any other good ports out there.

I'll probably try Jdoom too, but iI haven't d/led it yet

Well, Lut, I've got P3, P4, and Athlon systems here, all with different video cards - some Nvidia, some ATi, one 3dfx, and two PowerVR. ZdoomGL runs fine on all of them, even the admittedly buggy Kyro II and Radeon 8500.

Albeit certain combinations of CPU, chipset, and video card can cause problems, generally, it's the video card that makes the most difference in situations like these.

Well, Lut, I've got P3, P4, and Athlon systems here, all with different video cards - some Nvidia, some ATi, one 3dfx, and two PowerVR. ZdoomGL runs fine on all of them, even the admittedly buggy Kyro II and Radeon 8500.

Right, all that is what's known as "decent hardware". I figure most of these people are running stuff from '97 at the latest.