Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

The /newstuff Chronicles #224

In a week of interesting developments comes a relatively uninteresting newstuff (albeit largely due to a new megawad being released with bugs, forcing a re-release sometime in the next week or two). A mere 7 maps await, 5 of which are single player and 3 of which are antiques. Still, if you like weapons you won't be disappointed, nor if you like the classic fare. And of course it won't take you long to play them all:

• The first official weapons pack of Team UnNamed! by Chronoteeth
    3460kb - Edge - n/a -
    It's...wait for it...a weapons mod! 11 weapons, bound to the first 6 slots. They are similar to the original weapons, but show some differences in speed and power (except for the kamikaze weapon 6, which fires a barrage of rocket-type things until your ammo runs out). Reloading is on some of them too. You might recognise some of the graphics, but they're nicely done anyway. Recommended if you can use Edge and like weapons mods, although I recommend playing more difficult wads with it.

• YaKu Fast DM 01 by Jan Pokrzywinski (YaKu)
    30kb - doom2.exe - DM - (img)
    A small brick/wooden deathmatch map that is slightly reminiscent of the Brit11 series. A medium-width passage with ups and downs encircling a square outdoor arena in the middle. 3 ways into it, and there is some cover out there too. All weapons except chainsaw and bfg are present, but there are some bad spawns - not on top of a weapon, not a super shotgun or even stuck in the wall (wriggle to get free when this happens). This brings a bit of luck into play but despite this it's good for 1-on-1 matches and low-turnout FFA's, and it even looks quite good too. Recommended.

• EREBUS 2- Penetrating the Darkness by Gary Atkinson
    143kb - doom2.exe - SP - (img)
    A brown map that has you journeying through various browny things (buildings, caves, outdoor bits etc.). Detail is mid-90's, although there are some nice parts and lighting effects. It's pretty dark throughout, and there's not really enough health for all the zombies present. Still it has a nice atmosphere, and the classic hunters will enjoy it.

• Escape from Devil's Island by Dan D. Luke
    59kb - doom2.exe - SP - (img)
    A small city-like wad set in a bunch of buildings surrounded by water. You might be disappointed when you read the wad description but this is a 95 wad, and the atmosphere is quite good anyway. Detail is 1995-esque and it's not overly-hard to beat, although watch the ammo. It's a nice map, despite you needing a secret to reach the first key.

• Lab 01 by Brett Johnson
    84kb - doom2.exe - SP - (img)
    Why it's called a lab is beyond me, as it's a gothic castle set in a valley with plenty of cave bits. It's actually quite confusing from start to finish as the way isn't obvious, many of the wooden poles are actually switches and you'll probably run into bits you can't reach or not know where to go next. The detail is a mixture (bare areas together with the screenie) and the action is mostly small monsters with a few bigger ones towards the end. It's not particularly that good, but there isn't much else to play this week.

• Cyber Wolf by Carmen Bellinger
    128kb - doom2.exe - SP - (img)
    Now here's an interesting one. Take 3 cyberdemons, put them in a Wolfenstein-esque map 31, add a BFG, a megasphere and scatter plenty of cell packs throughout the corridors. You now have this map, where your mission is simply to kill the terrible trio (whereupon the map will exit, but in ZDoom only). It's an interesting challenge (particularly for the demo people) but probably won't appeal to that many outside the Hell Revealed fan club.

• No Hope for Life Epsiode II: FATE (Demo) by Andy Leaver
    128kb - doom2.exe - SP - (img)
    A two-map demo for the aforementioned episode. As with the original episode, the theme is tech, the detail is good and it's fairly easy, although with some bigger monsters around there are some tricky moments. It is of course the beginning of the wad, so expect it to get harder throughout when the full thing is released. Not bad.

Where's Outcast SDK??? Oh, besides NHFL2 there's nothing worth an interest this week.

SSWolfenSie said:

You've forgot Kama Sutra.
Slow week... -_-

Do you ever read?

First sentence of this topic SAYS:
(albeit largely due to a new megawad being released with bugs, forcing a re-release sometime in the next week or two)

Chronoteeth said:

EGGG....EHHHH....NOT...AGAIN.... YOU FORGOT.....BYRON....AGAIN!!!!!

[/complain]

Jeeze, man. Sometimes WAD's slip the net. Deal with it.

Hey, I already made a mini-review of Byron the week if came out. From my experience, Newstuff reviews are usually too short or vague to reflect the actual goodness of the WAD in question, and it's better to wait for a full review.

The fact that almost nothing interesting came out this week makes me feel bad I didnt get my map in this week...

It won't happen again.
Stay tuned for Jehar-ism-level-ish-ness.

DD_133 said:

Do you ever read?

Oh sorry, missed that post.
Then it will be released in T/nC #226... Gusta said it'll be re-released in two weeks.

SSWolfenSie said:

Oh sorry, missed that post.
Then it will be released in T/nC #226... Gusta said it'll be re-released in two weeks.

I hope that god-awful crusher gets taken out from the beginning of map17. Trying to coop on that is too frustrating.

Hehe, cool, a weapons mod release. :P

Anyway, one of these days I'm gonna write the darn textfile for Corrupted Dreams (my newest finished releaseable weapons mod) so I can upload the darn thing. Maybe next t/nc, hopefully. :P

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Recommended if you can use Edge and like weapons mods...

Why wouldn't someone (with OpenGL) be able to use EDGE?

Lobo said:

Why wouldn't someone with OpenGL be able to use EDGE?

Whuzzat? He didn't say anything about someone with OGL not being able to play Edge.

I'm just covering my back in case someone says ("you need OpenGL to run EDGE")
:)

kristus said:

Whuzzat? He didn't say anything about someone with OGL not being able to play Edge.

I think that the question being asked is "Why does the phrase 'If you can use EDGE...' get tacked on every EDGE mod that gets in the '/newstuff' chronicles?". I think Lobo might have a little OpenGL on the brain since he found out skyboxes work and work well.

Back to the question, itself: The statement is factually correct - you have to be able to use EDGE to use the mod - but it does gives the impression that EDGE only works on the minority of machines. I do not think this to be true of the last release and - touch wood - true of the forth-coming release.

I know you lot are really shy about this :), but feel free to correct me....

Well, I dunno. I never had any issues with running Edge. The controls of it and bobbing have been not to my liking, but it's always been stable.