Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Community Chest 3?

Since Cadman died I will throw this out there to see if there is any interest whatsoever.

The biggest change in CC3 would be the move to a ZDoom format, with the following stipulations:

* New resources allowed as long as they are formatted in a way that they won't conflict with anyone else (i.e. making a universal format for naming resources).

* However many levels we can muster, with more or less than 32 forming a entire episode, no filling out with, uh, filler.

* Absolutely no taking control away from the player or taking the viewpoint out of the player's eyes (other than player-activated security cameras I guess). ZDoom would be used solely for enhancing gameplay with its advanced scripting features, not for making more dumb ass cutscenes where cameras swoop around and hudmessages spell out long and boring plots that no one cares about.

Once again, people would be given a long ass time to make their levels. Unlike CC2, however, there would be periodic milestones to ensure that people start their levels earlier than, say, 2 weeks before the final due date. This will avoid the scenario where the thing is pushed back a month or two because people are whining that they haven't finished their level yet.

If I see sufficient interest then I will start the gears on it, so let's see a show of hands or something.

Me too, it would give me an official opportunity to learn some of the zdoom editing features. I will not offer be a project lead though.

I missed out on the last Community Chest, and I really want to get in on this one. I'll make map 16, the map I'm making will translate perfectly :)

I think we should have an irc channel for cc3 so that we can always inform our status on the maps or something...I dunno.

btw, I want map01 damnit :(

We can share if you want. I want to do a very scary, dark, haunted sorta map, I think it would be a different type of map01.

That's 7 members in under half an hour. I think we'd do might fine having another Community Chest. :)

As much as I'd love to get in on this, I'm busy working on a different community project...if you guys really want me to do something, then I can try and make one map.

Hehe, I thought of starting something like this a while back (even came up with a set of rules and stuff) but it got swept under the carpet by various other things. (and now i've been beaten to it, heh)

As for mapping I don't know (as I'm part of another mapping team now) but I might be able to lead/co-ordinate it (given that I virtually did so with the first cc). And in any case, I give the idea the thumbs up :)

I'd like to be in this if it happens. Right now I'm not sure if I feel like making another map, but that could change.

I'm not so sure making the jump to Zdoom is such a good idea. There aren't all that many mappers competent at using Zdoom features, so you might just end up with loads of maps which are pretty much just 'classic' maps, with a few other Zdoom ones which don't fit in all that well. I think you could well end up with 75% of the megawad working in pretty much any limit-removing port, with a few other levels that only work in Zdoom.

That being said, limiting Zdoom features to things that subtly add to the gameplay and atmosphere(and not boring cutscenes etc.) might work pretty well. But still, I kinda think a 'Community Chest' for Zdoom seems to be more of a Zdoom forums community project, rather than a doom community project.

Anyway, personally I think having limits on level size/difficulty/weapons/monsters is a more important, logical step forward to take. With levels increasing in size and difficulty throughout the wad, I think it would be great if CC3 actually played like a megawad, and not just a bunch of single maps thrown together with little or no progression from one map to the next.

The Flange Peddler said:

I'm not so sure making the jump to Zdoom is such a good idea.

It's ok making it for Boom only if people test their maps with it, which rarely happens.

Ohh, there goes the band wagon, looks like I'm jumping on... :P
I'll make a level for CC3, even though I am already involved in 2 other projects!
Can't miss out on another community wad! Plus its Zdoom :)

The Flange Peddler said:

I'm not so sure making the jump to Zdoom is such a good idea. There aren't all that many mappers competent at using Zdoom features, so you might just end up with loads of maps which are pretty much just 'classic' maps, with a few other Zdoom ones which don't fit in all that well. I think you could well end up with 75% of the megawad working in pretty much any limit-removing port, with a few other levels that only work in Zdoom.

I don't want to do another normal megawad. I want to have people work in ZDoom so they can make something new and interesting, not just a Doom level with lights that flash in a slightly more complex way.

The way I might do it is to arrange the levels from most "normal" to most scripted and insane, so the megawad starts off with normal Doomy gameplay with normal textures and then slowly morphs into something crazy and scripted out the butt.