Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bank

In Depth Monster Discussion

Hi guys, I've been playing Doom for some time now, as I'm sure you all have as well, and one thing has struck me as odd, monster abilities. Imps can throw fire, Barons can throw acid, and Mancubus's can shoot fireballs with apparently no fuel or ammo source, as well as Renevants. Now, I don't know about imp-fire, but in the Doom books, it was chemical mucus, which I believe is bull, and as for renevants, I dont know much about reanimation, but they seem much to strong to just be skeletons with chest plates, and how do their skinny legs hold up such heavy armour? Mancubuses, big fatty slabs with rocket launchers, yet, the cables feed into the Mancubus itself, and as for it's fire-ball arms, the ammo capacity seems much to small. I know, it's just a game, they're just demons, but come on, it doesn't hurt to ponder does it? And as for Cyber demons, dont get me started!!!

*Mancubi*

The doom books are bunk as far as the game is concerned. The author was just trying to make the best sense he could out of what was there (kinda like this thread).

Officially though, it's all done with magic.

Well, I'd agree about the books and thank you for the plural mancubus, but, if we were to think *SCIENTIFICALLY* just for a moment, how could you explain the other stuff....?

And what about the demon spawner.

The Archvile's attack is without a doubt magic, why the other enemies can't use some kind of magic either? They could have a mechaninc part that activates some sort of spell.

Comiclez said:

Now, I don't know about imp-fire, but in the Doom books, it was chemical mucus, which I believe is bull

WTF? What else could you ask for in a "scientific" explanation of why imaginary video game monsters do certain things.

Well, the mucus explanation was flawed, in the imp's sprite animation, he reaches down towards his leg, than throws, doesn't hock one in his hand and whip it at somebody, and as for the demon spawner, trying to keep this as appropriate as possible, if the spawner was female, than the exposed section in the head could be...uh...how to say this....well....a private part that partains to females...

Amaster said:

Officially though, it's all done with magic.

No, it's all done with coding. :P

if we were to think *SCIENTIFICALLY* just for a moment, how could you explain the other stuff....?

Scientififcally, Hell doesn't exist.

gg.

Well of course, but, than again, science can encompass almost anything, it is about what is possible, not what is real, so I'm talking about POSSIBILITY, not realism, and that is really why I even wonder about, of course it's coding, of course hell isn't real, but everything is possible to an extent, we all know that someone cannot eat the authentic constitution of the united states twice, but, as for this, their are possibilities.

This is funny. Personally I believe the best explanations are here.

Also, you CAN eat the constitution twice if you eat the crap that was once the constitution (although you might not consider that a good way of looking at at it, but whatever).

Comiclez said:

science can encompass almost anything, it about what is possible, not what is real

you don't quite understand what science is, do you?

Science has been predicting things for years, half of it has happened, but otherwise, the other stuff was speculation and a prediction, Science IS what is possible, as in Newton's Laws, Newton thought of laws that applied to everything, not just what was possible, becuase of that, we can predict AND rule out space travel speculation, because of what Science questioned, real or otherwise, it therefore added a great deal to other arguments, come on guys, are we gonna get into science or monsters? All I'm saying is that whether or not something is real doesn't dictate whether it is possible or not, you know what I mean?

Comiclez said:

and Mancubus's can shoot fireballs with apparently no fuel or ammo source, as well as Renevants

Revenants can shoot one rocket from what appears to be two shoulder launchers. :P

Well actually, the Renevant shoots two different kinds of rockets, homing and non-homing, explaining the two launchers.

Comiclez said:

All I'm saying is that whether or not something is real doesn't dictate whether it is possible or not, you know what I mean?

What, like ghosts, ESP, telepathy, alien abduction, dowsing, etc., etc. and the like? The realm of pseudo-science, the paranormal and the supernatural...that is to say, not genuine science.

Well i'd have to agree with you partially, some of it is possible and proveably possible, but not proven real, other things such as telepathy, which are not provable by science, and are basically hyped-up eye witness testimonies, which, if you watch court cases, hold little ground, I believe to be untrue.

lerner said:

OMG, this site rocks!!
It reminds me of xcom-enemy unknown´s ufopedia...

Quast said:

What, like ghosts, ESP, telepathy, alien abduction, dowsing, etc., etc. and the like? The realm of pseudo-science, the paranormal and the supernatural...that is to say, not genuine science.

Pseudo-science isn't defined by its subject matter, but by the means by which people attempt to set out to prove their assertions. "The ancient Egyptians believed that Ra, the sun god, was responsible for blah blah blah, and they're an ancient cultures and ancient cultures discovered the wheel and irrigation so they were right on that one so therefore there is a whole host of gods in the sky meddling with our lives here on Earth, QED." That's a little closer to an example of pseudo-science.

Comiclez said:

and as for the demon spawner, trying to keep this as appropriate as possible, if the spawner was female, than the exposed section in the head could be...uh...how to say this....well....a private part that partains to females...

YOU MEAN A VAGINA?!?!

Ultraviolet said:

har har

I was giving examples duder. You don't need to explain that to me. The things I listed are pseudoscience.

Yeah, I get that, well, this has been an..um...intellectual conversation, especially you Quast, I really enjoyed the debate, but at least these aren't riddles, like the "If there are 8 people in a room and each person shakes the hands of everyone once, how many combinations of handshakes are possible" actually the answer would be 8, the permutations have order, combinations are just numbers, order doesn't matter...but...anyway

Comiclez said:

Well, the mucus explanation was flawed, in the imp's sprite animation, he reaches down towards his leg, than throws, doesn't hock one in his hand and whip it at somebody, and as for the demon spawner, trying to keep this as appropriate as possible, if the spawner was female, than the exposed section in the head could be...uh...how to say this....well....a private part that partains to females...

Mucus can be excreted out of orifices, that explaination stays.

And why does it have to be a vagina? Why can't the demons spawn inside the head and be spat out or even fired out, i assume we are speaking of the Icon of Sin?

lerner said:

Any site that states a lost soul being a male to the Pain Elemental female....

Janderson said:

And why does it have to be a vagina? Why can't the demons spawn inside the head and be spat out or even fired out, i assume we are speaking of the Icon of Sin?

Well, that is a valid point, it kinda cracks me up, if the demons weren't in boxes, couldn't you see an imp flying through the air at you, and telefragging you, Pheeeeew.....Splat!

Quast said:

I was giving examples duder. You don't need to explain that to me. The things I listed are pseudoscience.

Apparently I do. The things you listed are examples of where pseudo-scientific methods are often employed. There's a difference. Have we learned how to state the difference properly when we form our sentences yet? :D

I've always viewed the supernatural abilities of the demons as a sort of energy being channeled from a greater entity (the will of Hell itself?) through the demon. This energy then manifests in the forms of various fireballs. The same energy is responsible for the 'floating' of Cacodemons and Lost Souls, the animation of the Revenants and the Former Humans and any other inexplicable phenomenon.

Of course, not many people try to work out a plausible explanation to DOOM, because, well... it's DOOM! But I have a bad habit of theorizing everything, no matter how silly it seems :)