Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pete The Padre

That DOOM Feeling

Everybody that plays DOOM knows what im talking about, The feeling in
that special level that screams out DOOM feeling.
What do you think is necesary to add to your own levels to make a good DOOM atmosphere? Personaly i think NUKAGE and Tech.

Um.... I think i may go ahead and take this seriously... considering you may not have known the correct words to put forth thine question... so here goes.

That "Doom" "feeling" O_o
hmm... I think its less of a texture thing and more of a...

its a groove man...
ya know?

I think it has more to do with e1 monsters and...
really man i havnt really played any levels (besides the many many many e1 remakes... a few of them were good.) that really captured that feeling. I think that feeling has more to do with pure nostalgia than anything else.

I know the feeling. It calls me. Its a free flowing ballet of calculated destruction. It is the rapturous dance from demon to demon, gracefully pummeling their exposed flesh with carefully orchestrated blasts of red hot buckshot. It is the hopless screams of the souls of the damned as they succumb to the mechanical song of the chainsaw. It is jilted, psychotic, yet serene, masterful. It is power, retribution, and defiance.

You are HUGE. That means you have HUGE GUTS!

RIP AND TEAR

Well i mean the textures as a whole, the way they are set up too give the right atmosphere ,true as u say, nostalgia has its big role,
but theres something in a very well made level that just makes it..DOOM

When I play the shitty 1994 wads with one or two huge rooms just chocked fulla monsterz!!!! Or any early Doom level made befor 1996 which still is in very vanilla format.

Well how about E1M5, that gives me that good ol' feeling! You just sink in, in the world of horrible monsters trying to feast upon your flesh. thats DOOM

When it's raining outside I often open the window so I can smell the rain while playing Doom. I probably need help lol

chilvence said:

I know the feeling. It calls me. Its a free flowing ballet of calculated destruction. It is the rapturous dance from demon to demon, gracefully pummeling their exposed flesh with carefully orchestrated blasts of red hot buckshot. It is the hopless screams of the souls of the damned as they succumb to the mechanical song of the chainsaw. It is jilted, psychotic, yet serene, masterful. It is power, retribution, and defiance.

RIP AND TEAR

a-frickin-men

It's magic. Without the possesion of it Your levels will lack the Doomish feeling. ;) heh, jk

The sheer enjoyment of simplicity. It's cartoony as fuck, it's ten years old, but nothing plays quite like it. People to this day are editing the damn thing, and people still talk about it on a fuckin forum devoted to it. It's beautiful.

Atmosphere. No other game has so much of it. When i had to decide betwhen FarCry and Doom i would select Doom.

I personally feel real calm and at peace whenever i go through e1. its almost a religious experience.

POTGIESSER said:

The sheer enjoyment of simplicity. It's cartoony as fuck, it's ten years old, but nothing plays quite like it. People to this day are editing the damn thing, and people still talk about it on a fuckin forum devoted to it. It's beautiful.

I agree with this, but it is also in these simplicities that we also find complexities within the game. I think the original DOOM gameplay is so fun because of the gun/enemy balances and the futuristic designs that don't have to make sense. Doom maps are made for gameplay and for fun and don't need to follow any "realistic" design patterns. And personally, I think that ruins most modern games these days. Too much emphasis on trying to be realistic and not enough fantasy / gameplay ideas.

chilvence said:

RIP AND TEAR

Wow, very eloquent for a DWer. Heh, I agree though.

What makes Doom so good that there are mods for it to this day is that it is the only FPS to achieve a perfet balance opf weapons an enemies so that you can play it any way you want. If you are pissed you can take a run throu e1 and blow everything away with the shotgun. You can play the game strategically, taking careful perfection in the selection of every weapon you use to take down the demons. Beyond the perfection of gameplay Doom has something that no other FPS will ever pull off - The perfect plot. What better reason do you need to kill than the invading forces of hell? There is no human interaction. It's just you and the forces of hell. Every human down deep in their gut knows that they would fight given this situation. Other games try to create a scenario inwhich one would fight to the death, but there is no reason out there more compelling than the invasion of hell.

Heavy_Z said:
Alot of stuph that I agree with.

Xenophon said:

Nuclear-powered fisting...

I think I saw that series. But Imp Encounter XVII is still my favorite :P

That Doom feeling, for me, is most often felt while I'm playing Episode One, but then I'm an E1 fanboy.

chilvence said:

Wow, that was really well-written.
WildWeasel saves this quote in a text file for later usage...as a signature file somewhere.

This reminds me of the infamous "Harris Levels thread" by Columbine aka "Crack in The Box".
I doubt I'll ever encounter greater human stupidity.

DooMBoy said:

That Doom feeling, for me, is most often felt while I'm playing Episode One, but then I'm an E1 fanboy.

I know what you mean. e2 and up just never quite matched e1, and I never really enjoy them, except in co op

it's when you're in a dark corridor.... only 28% health, and a shotgun with a meager 3 shells left. It's been too quiet since you grabbed that keycard. All you can hear is the croaking of a couple of imps. Where are they? around the corner? behind the next door? behind YOU? Only way to find out is to take the next few steps forward.

That's Doom, to me. E1 all the way, man.