1. 1. Which was best

• Metallica
    • Megadeth
    • Anthrax
    • Slayer
    • Testament
    • You idiot, where\'s...

Definatley Slayer.

all their early albums EXCEPT Reign in Blood, Show No Mercy\South of Heaven\Seasons in the Abyss = Some of the best thrash albums ever.

Ret- said:

Definatley Slayer.

all their early albums EXCEPT Reign in Blood, Show No Mercy\South of Heaven\Seasons in the Abyss = Some of the best thrash albums ever.

except reign in blood? Seriously? That's a pretty good thrash album imo. Sure there are some slower songs on there, but c'mon.

oh, and Kreator fucking rules too, and their new albums slays.

Mogul said:

Metallica is considered thrash?

The early shit, not the newer shit. Kill 'em All & Ride the Lightning are considered great examples of Thrash.

As a matter of fact, we could say Metallica defines thrash. That they do a combination of metal, rock, punk and ballads (or whatever) now, is another matter. I don't really think Slayer is truly thrash... it's more like extreme death-like metal, but Metallica and the bands that are related to them, or obviously influenced by them, pretty much give thrash its name and shape.

eh, no i think slayer is thrash. having started out with death metal and moving backwards myself it is easy to see slayer is the base of pretty much all death metal, but its not quite there.

Dittohead said:

oh, and Kreator fucking rules too, and their new albums slays.

Glad to see anoter person on the fourms that likes Kreator. They are a great band.
Too bad they are not big in the usa. I would kill see Kreator an a arena tour.

Judas Priest,Iron Maiden, Kreator and Megadeth would be the best metal tour ever.

Endless Pain was great. It was the fist Kreator cd I ever bought. Great album. I'm glad that they pulled them selfs out of the shit heap after Endorama. I still like there new stuff. There are some changes here and there to there sound but its still desecnt thrash. Human Pranoid is a good band also.

Danarchy said:

You idiot, where\'s Ministry?

(I don't know what thrash metal is.)

Ministry's not thrash metal. Thrash is more or less like taking speed metal and marrying it to hardcore punk. Sort of. It has a few progressive elements to it, and the solos are usually insane.

Slayer's an exception, because Kerry King's a shitty guitar player, imo.

Anyway, where's Annihilator (exluding their most recent because it sucks balls) and Kreator (aside from that one mentioning - and indeed, Enemy of God fucking owns)

pilottobombadier said:

Ministry's not thrash metal. Thrash is more or less like taking speed metal and marrying it to hardcore punk. Sort of. It has a few progressive elements to it, and the solos are usually insane.

That makes absolutely 0 sense to me. By that I mean i dont even know what those other genres sound like to give me a clue. Alos, I knew Ministry wasn't thrash metal (they're industrial metal), but they're the most metaly band I like.

MasterOfPuppets said:

Destruction is a cool band

They are in the studio working on a new album right now. I hope its as good as there last one.

Danarchy said:

That makes absolutely 0 sense to me. By that I mean i dont even know what those other genres sound like to give me a clue. Alos, I knew Ministry wasn't thrash metal (they're industrial metal), but they're the most metaly band I like.

Speed metal - fast, aggresive and melodic. Hardcore punk - very fast and aggressive, and, if it's genuine punk, focusing on social issues.

Progressive is hard to explain. It's basically music that song by song is very techinical - constant rythm changing, as well as playing around with new sounds. Check out Dream Theater if you want a really good example of this.
Which is also why progressive metal is referred to as technical metal, iirc.

Also, one other band I noticed was left out: Overkill.

pilottobombadier said:

Speed metal - fast, aggresive and melodic.

So like Future Pop?

Hardcore punk - very fast and aggressive

Like Wumpscut or Cobalt 60 then?

Progressive is hard to explain. It's basically music that song by song is very techinical - constant rythm changing, as well as playing around with new sounds.

So like Coil or Download?

(What, music without keyboards? I don't understand!) :P

Danarchy said:

So like Future Pop?

Like Wumpscut or Cobalt 60 then?

So like Coil or Download?

(What, music without keyboards? I don't understand!) :P

1) Strongly doubt it. Check out Stratovarius if you want a really good example of speed metal.

2) No. Hardcore punk is mainly underground. If you want it, you'll have to look for it. I don't want it, I don't like it, which is why the most I've listened to is the crap my friend Andrew had at school. Thrash metal, in general, owns it ;)

3)No. But there is a lot of usage of synths in most prog-rock or progressive metal bands. check out Dream Theater. If you have high speed, download their song A Change of Seasons. It's 23 minutes long, but it'll give you a really good idea of what progressive metal is. Obviously, if oyu don't have high speed, you're SOL, because most of Dream Theater's stuff is over 6 or 7 minutes in length.

Anybody heared of Meshuggah. some people have called their music Math Metal, because supposedly it is all based on highly technical highly composed rythems and such. i have one of their albums, and don't see it really, but them i'm not a huge music person. i just listen.

pilottobombadier said:

<stuff>

Err yeah. My point is I'm only really into electronic music and a bunch of other stuff (no metal), and I can't even try to rationalise any non-electronic genres at all especialy since I pretty much hate the concept of genres anyway. People seem to divide the hell out of music that all sounds the same while at the same time lumping unique bands into categories where they don't really belong. It's rather annoying.

* stops trolling and goes back to listening to Skinny Puppy

Yes, Meshuggah are "Math Metal." In fact they pretty much define it.

Hey, they fucking rock. Some people argue their music is boring/pretentious/inaccessible, and whilst I do understand why they would say that - the near complete atonality of their sound forces you to pay attention to the rhythm instead and then you realize you can't decipher the time signature at all - I just tend to get lost in those details. Also, their virtuosity is notable.

Anything they did after "Destroy/Erase/Improve" is certaintly not to headbang to, but they're still very heavy. The "I" EP was awesome, and set my expectations high for "Catch 33," which should be coming out soon (if it hasn't yet).

spank said:

Yes, Meshuggah are "Math Metal." In fact they pretty much define it.

Hey, they fucking rock. Some people argue their music is boring/pretentious/inaccessible, and whilst I do understand why they would say that - the near complete atonality of their sound forces you to pay attention to the rhythm instead and then you realize you can't decipher the time signature at all - I just tend to get lost in those details. Also, their virtuosity is notable.

Anything they did after "Destroy/Erase/Improve" is certaintly not to headbang to, but they're still very heavy. The "I" EP was awesome, and set my expectations high for "Catch 33," which should be coming out soon (if it hasn't yet).

Yes, the new Meshuggah is due out any day now. And their music resembles both fusion (or "jazz rock") or even classical jazz, structure wise, IMHO.

I agree with you. I have the impression that the expression "Math Metal" was thought out by people who didn't really know better :P

spank said:

I agree with you. I have the impression that the expression "Math Metal" was thought out by people who didn't really know better :P

Yeah, odd time-changes and rhythms are like advanced math for some :)

MasterOfPuppets said:

Anybody heared of Meshuggah. some people have called their music Math Metal, because supposedly it is all based on highly technical highly composed rythems and such. i have one of their albums, and don't see it really, but them i'm not a huge music person. i just listen.

I hate Meshuggah's sound. Sound's more like nu-metal to me, structure-wise. I've been to their website and checked out their singles, and I was very, very disappointed with what I'd heard.

WAH WAH WAH where's sodom WAH WHA WAH where's kreator WAH WAH WAH where's artillery WAH WAH WAH where's pantera

WAHing aside, I voted for Slayer. Their later stuff is BAD but not HORRIBLE (like St. Anger). Still, they've done tons of classic songs imo.