Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueSonnet

Writing Contest Number one (oh yes)

As promised. The first writing contest starts now.

The rules are faily similar to that of the art contests, mostly common sense really. The 3 big ones
. You can show more than one entry but only one can be entered.
. Nothing you dug out your drawer. New works only
. No stealing other peeps work unless you're asking for trouble.

That aside i present the topic, along with guidelines.

Fiction: Entering Hell

. The themes involved would be macabre, horror, thriller or good old-fashion action, that sort of stuff. You can tweak it a bit to your liking as long as it matches the title, but if you still fancy scaring people shitless or whatever with your work be my guest. Speaking of tweaking..

. Whilst it'll probably strike people's boat if you write about badass demons and marines blowing shit up, your entry doesn't have to be fanfic orientated if you don't want it to be. Figured i'd be a bit open for our first one, for although we probably will have proper fanfic orientated contests in the future, your entry doesn't have to be about Doom. Just keep it related to the above themes.

. Minimum word length is 100 words. The rough maximum word length is 2000-3000 words. Its ok to go a bit over the max. Just don't post a fucking novel in the time given if you catch my drift :P, and if you do you're probably breaking one or two of the above rules stated above anyway.

. Contest ends in 2 weeks from now.

Any questions i advise you post them here for me to answer, before you sudmit your entry preferably.

One last thing. As with the art contests, these are for fun, and i hope you enjoy yourselves.

You're free to start now :) Good luck.

Do you want the entries to be posted directly into this thread or linked to (due to the length)?

I guess it would be preferable if you could post a link to the entry, especially if the fic is quite long. If it isn't possible then just post it here. Shouldn't be too taxing for viewers to just scroll down. Heh

You know I'm tempted to try writing for this contest, though with my writing record I'll have the first half done within the next year... ^^;

How about reworked old stories (i.e. edited for sucky content)?

Job said:

How about reworked old stories (i.e. edited for sucky content)?

Short answer: No
Long answer: We're talking major makeover of the original work here, necessary for the entry to be allowed in. The only thing similar to the original would be the basic plot; description, wording etc would be difference. And of course it'll still have to relate to the contest theme.

Again your entry doesn't have to be donkey-years long guys. It's just gotta work if you know what i mean.

What's the policy on profanity for this? I've written about 500 words of my entry so far and used a fair amount of it already in my dialogue. I'm not putting cuss words in it just for the sake of swearing, I just feel that space marines confronting demons in a high stress environment would speak in that fashion.

Ah fucking hell i never fucking thought of that. Though i never imagined for a fucking instant that some fucking miserable cunt will be giving us fucking stick every fucking time i say Shit-bollocks-pissing dick in the ass. Fuck the fucking cocksmokers.

Um yeah i don't see there being a problem. If it is really bad (and i mean really bad) you might wanna put a warning of some sort beforehand. Hmm, i should practise what i preach :P.

No, the swearing isn't too excessive, certainly not as colorful as your first paragraph. :) My entry is 95% done, I went over the word limit a bit though (3,420 words at the moment). I'm going to try to tack the final version down at around 3,500 words after editing. I'll probably post it up tomorrow or Wednesday.

Okay, here's my entry. The final version ended up being just shy of 4,000 words. After editing, I whittled it down to 3,699. I hope that's not too much.

Nice submission, beyond the & n b s p things (yuck, fix those). I haven't had too much success doing prose, so I guess it's back to fiction I go. I don't think I'll be able to beat that story, though.

You shouldn't be seeing the "& n b s p ; things" unless you're looking at the source code.

Slayne said:

They appeared in the page itself, probably Firefox's damned fault.

They don't for me in FF, it appears normal.

Wish I'd known about this earlier. I'll give it a shot.

Edit: Yes, I'm done already. And I did a pretty good job, I say.

http://box43.net/~micah/archive/hell.html

Yes, I know it's Micah's webspace, but he wanted to put it on his site so instead of uploading to MINE I just went ahead and linked to his :P.

I have something I typed up, and as soon as I find somewhere to host it, I'll have a link for you guys.

Maybe while I'm still in a writing sort of mood, I'll finish up my fanfic series. Or maybe I'll go back to lurking. Whatever's easier.