Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zodiak

Import><Export

I'm a NEWB to textures and stuff. So, this is probably a stupid question so don't yell at me but how do you get Textures from photoshop CS into DoomEdit?

Doom3 doesnt simply import things like other games. It's a much more involved process. The absolute simplest way is to make your image, save it as a TGA and then make a material file that identifies that image as a diffuse texture.

textures/my_texture
{
diffusemap    textures/my_texture_d.tga
}
The above would be a normal textfile saved as my_texture.mtr (for example). This wont have any normal/bump mapping or specular mapping applied to it of course.

Here's a more complete tutorial: http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=482

All your .mtr files should go in doom 3/base/materials. All textures should go in doom 3/base/textures.

Its very unlikey the textures will work with just the diffuse map alone. Without the bumpmap at least, your texture will always appear black in the game.

I've seen people use textures w/o any bumpmap. Of course, maybe they used a single color image for the bumpmap, but why would they do that?

They work fine with only a diffuse color on models. I've done it myself. Can't imagine why it wouldnt work on a brush. It wont look very good of course. Also the editor will complain if you dont have a downsized version for display in the editor. Like kristus said, you could specify the same image as specular and normal if you're unsure about anything.