Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ToyoWolf

DooM 3 monsters are HOW much different than DooM II's?

I know the CyberDemon's attacks (and power) are VRY different than DooM II's, but what about the other returning monsters?

For the most part, the returning monsters from the 90s DOOM games all do the same stuff that they did then. A couple of them have some new abilities I guess, but overall, as far as they function, they're pretty faithful, I think.

As far as how they look, you can pretty much look at them and be able to say, "Oh, that's this demon or that's that demon" or whatever.

Overall, they suit the gameplay pretty well, they look fantastic, and of course, it's neat to see updated versions of these things you grew up with.

Thanks everyone. Now...I heard the Pain Elemental (my 2nd fave,design only) is not in DooM3. Is this true?

ToyoWolf said:
Thanks everyone. Now...I heard the Pain Elemental (my 2nd fave,design only) is not in DooM3. Is this true?

Read a FAQ. It should answer all of you doom 3 monster related questions.

Generally they are similar to the classic Doom monsters, but more evolved.
The Imp for example doesn´t just slowly walk arround and throws straight flying fire balls at you anymore, in Doom3 he is more agile, can perform dangerous leaping attacks, dodges from time to time (not very often though) and crawls occasionally on the ceiling before he attacks you, and his fire balls are arcing instead of straight, so it´s more interesting and in a way more 3D to fight him.

In terms of gameplay they are basically a step backward from Doom and the games around that era. No more triple prodjectiles you have to manuver to avoid, no more getting chased to a safe area, no more trying to sneak around etc. (although they did retain the heatseeking missles)

Most monsters are reduced to just melee attacks, which become very annoying

Its misleading to speak about AI, becuase its never used, lietally almost every encounter (99.9%) is a surprise attack, so it doesnt matter how the monsters act in any sized area

even the zombies (of all things) are smplified (if you can imagine) because they have no guns so theres no dodgin shots

One *good* thing ill say is that Visually the monster design is good, very different and I wont spoil anything.

Wobbo said:

no more getting chased to a safe area, no more trying to sneak around etc.

I agree with you in this point, and it´s really the one thing (besides linear level design) that I really disliked about Doom3´s gameplay: they cut and crippled it to a slow pace and took control out of the players hand, so that he doesn´t have other combat tactics available then just crawl arround slowly and shoot.

But this is not the fault of the monster design! The monsters are generally more evolved and better then the old ones, as I was trying to show with the Imp example. It´s the fault of the player physics: very slow walk and run speed, no "always run" option, stupidly high falling damage, and the overdone disorientating damage effects.

Wobbo said:

even the zombies (of all things) are smplified (if you can imagine) because they have no guns so theres no dodgin shots

This is really misleading. The equivalent to Doom´s zombie troopers are of course Doom3´s Zsecs, and not the civilian zombies, which are a new monster class on it´s own. And again, the Zsecs are clearly more evolved and fun to fight then the Doom1 cannon fodder zombies. They weild pistols, machineguns and shotguns, some of them use sheilds, and they behave reasonably more intelligent then your typical zombie.

Captain Red said:

Read a FAQ. It should answer all of you doom 3 monster related questions.

Why do you call the Sawyer zombie bezerker?

Reap said:

Why do you call the Sawyer zombie bezerker?

My love for you is like a truck
BERSERKER!
Would you like some making fuck?
BERSERKER!

but be wary, as the revenant knows (get this) KUNG FU. When close enough, a revenant will martial-arts your butt into the ground

What? Did this guy even play the game? Commandos wear safari helmets? Arch-Viles teleport? The Vagary is a "reincarnation of the Spider Mastermind"?

Revenant100 said:

What? Did this guy even play the game? Commandos wear safari helmets? Arch-Viles teleport? The Vagary is a "reincarnation of the Spider Mastermind"?

The Arch Viles DO teleport in ;)

Revenant100 said:

fuor Wurds fur thet gy thet rote the fak. Idoits can't rite faks!/mockery

Scabbed Angel said:

My love for you is like a truck
BERSERKER!
Would you like some making fuck?
BERSERKER!

Ok. . .