Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KRoNoS

Doom3 in Doom2?

Nice to see someone resurrecting this thread that it isn't me. The project will take a while, but it's not abandoned, no way. I said that I'd make a map some weeks ago, but I were more busy that what I expected, but I'll put my best to do it next week. I trust that Dartmerc is still interesed on this (but taking a break as me), and will implement the dynamic lights and stuff to it.

We made a mistake on the development of the mod, we worked very hard, all days. Sometimes I even dreamed with stuff from the project. This kind of dedication can leave you exhaust, as an overtraining. This and the conflicts arround Edge 1.29, force us to this place. But this is not abandoned, I'm sure that all the members of the team from time to time think about doing something for the project (and just as someone get back to work, the others will do the same).

EDGE 1.29 RC1 is out. Let us know if it solves your problems, or if you get new ones!

Keep up the good work: this really is a great TC.

Yes, I am still interested and involved in this project, its just a little hard when members keep going missing..

Good news about 1.29, i've been out of the loop for a few weeks, will check it out.

You must load all the WAD files at once, in order - either through the command line or through Edge Shell Launcher. (The link escapes me at the moment.)

And another thing: if nobody has answered you, don't shout at them. Be polite about it, because SHOUTING IN ALL CAPS NOT ONLY MAKES YOUR POST HARD TO READ, IT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE AN IMPATIENT BASTARD.

2 Vegeta, Kronos and Dartmer-sorry guys but my real life stuff and 2 other projects (KDiZD and Haze) are occupying too much of my attention. <_< I promise to get KDiZD out of way as soon as possible and I'll go back to those sweet Doom 2.5 sprites :-)

In response to Nmn, nice to see that you are still are around here, I never doubt it though :-) Yeah real life seem to hate DOOM projects. I must finish my damn map.

And in response to toyowolf with his odd avatar, sorry, here are the instructions.

-Download the mod right here http://www.doom25.cjb.net/ So far it works better on Edge 1.28 (the code is designed for it, you can make it work with 1.29 but you'll find some issues when reloading and probably on monsters behaviors).

-Unzip all the files into your Edge directory (be sure that a copy of DOOM2.wad is there

-Run DOOM25.exe and click in "play"

-Start a new game and wait till Edge build the GL nodes. Your comp must support Open GL for the full experience. To reload a weapon just fire until the clip is empty then Edge reload automaticaly, on this version you can't reload manually (that will change in the next one). At the start you don't have any weapon (not even the fist), that's not a bug, so far you progress you'll turn into an armed guy.

We want people to like it, so any problem running it feel free to ask here.

Lately i've been getting a bit burned out of Doom, mainly because of how sick I am of the weapons, so when i read the first 8 pages of this i was completely psyched, probably more than i am about the long awaited KZiZD thing. I've *heard* of edge but until reading this thread i saw no reason to go beyond Zdoom as far as source ports were concerned.

Well to keep it short, i've skimmed through most of the thread but

1. im not sure if this is a weapons mod or a TC itself (or both) because i've been hearing stuff about 'maps' and stuff about 'weapons'. Can someone enlighten me on what to use if i just want the weapons mod, and what to use if i want both (if there is both).

2. A good frontend for this would help as well.

3. Being unfamiliar with Edge and reading about you guys having compatibility issues with the later versions of edge (.28 and .29 or something), im wondering what version i need to run this as stable as possible.

-Sorry if any of this has already been asked or if i missed something, and thanks in advance.

EDIT: Yep, must have been tired because most of that was answered in the post RIGHT above mine, sorry =). Still...a good frontend and the straightening out of the map/weapon thing would be welcome.

There's a frontend, it's a TC, that mean new weapons, monsters, textures, sounds, levels, and hopefuly menu graphics (currently new m_doom and titlepic).

The reason of the issues with 1.29 is because the code for that version it's a bit diferent for 1.28.

If you don't like Edge, then this is a good chance to give it a try. I disliked it either, and so edge mods because of how hard to install are some of them (look at UAC en Hapal, or something), and how unsmooth are others. But this mod (DOOM 2.5, previewsly called "DOOM 3 in DOOM 2", it's easy to install, and as smooth as DOOM.exe (really, trust me).

If you want some screenshots..
http://www.wadsinprogress.info/index.php?a=listwads&wad=519

Yea thanks man, played a little bit of it and i thought it was very well done. Never in a million years would have thought the doom engine could still scare me =). Edge isn't that bad of a port, was just a bit hard getting adjusted and fine tuning the mouse sensitivity being used to zdoom.

-Being one that has played doom 3 (but been too much of a wuss to play past delta labs) it's pretty damn accurate too, least up to what i've played.

Anyway...I LOVE the weapon models as well as the enemy sprites and sounds, is their any way to get those separately to work on other wads? Think i heard something about that earlier on the forums, i mean it did start out as just a weapon addon.
-

To play this wad in normal doom maps(IE turn it into a weapons/enemies mod).

In the d3d2_25c.wad, remove the data lumps "RSCRIPT", "DDFLEVL" and "DDFGAME". It should work and play normal doom but the new weapons and enemies will stay.

Is there some kind of tutorial to explain exactly how to do that? I opened it with notepad but i couldn't find the data you were talking about.

Oh and i wasn't quite sure if you meant just use d3d2_25c or use d3d2_25a through d3d2_25g.

Ah, well thanks for the XME recommendation, managed to delete what Nick told me to, but playing just the d3d2 _25c wad after that REALLY screwed things around, it was still doom 2.5 but all the textures and guns and stuff were gone.

Well anyway, i appreciate the help from you guys.

Yes, you need to play it with all the files, you can probably still use the frontend. Just delete those files and play with all of the wads.

EDGE is finally getting the respect it deserves. The EDGE team works really hard and always listens to the doomers/modders, and the engine itself is capable of great things, like this mod here.

Well i tried doing that, used XWE to delete RCSCRIPT, DDFLEVL, and DDFGAME, and used all the other wads that go with it, and it still isn't quite working the way i want it to.

It still puts me in doom 2.5, but now the script is gone (obviously), so no text or anything.

I don't know, i think there might be some other stuff that has to be deleted. Well, heh, sorry im not trying to sound helpless or annoying or anything, it's not even that big of a deal, but i don't want anyone else reading this to do the same thing.

Which brings me to my next point, although a little off-topic, any weapon mods out there that are close to this style for either Edge or Zdoom? I'm into the same kind of weapon deal as the original (well..similar, but not the same) with well done models (like this) but with enough differences in the weapons to make them feel a bit different from the standard boring shit.

Killionaire said:

Which brings me to my next point, although a little off-topic, any weapon mods out there that are close to this style for either Edge or Zdoom? I'm into the same kind of weapon deal as the original (well..similar, but not the same) with well done models (like this) but with enough differences in the weapons to make them feel a bit different from the standard boring shit.

Come on over to the Doom Armory forums, we specialize in this kind of stuff.

Thanks Nick, been very helpful.

And thanks wildweasel, i'll check it out (had heard about it before but didn't know the url)

Did you get Doom 2.5 working without the maps? To do so, just delete the maps from the wad with maps in it, since you've already deleted rscript, ddflevl and ddfgame.

yay, I finally remember my password = I can finally post replys to the forums.

Okay, seeing as alot of you people seem new to this thread, I'll give a quick rundown of the TC in general.

Originally KRoNoS began this as a weapons mod with the help of Nick Perrin.

The weapons were released, and activity died down a little.

KRoNoS, in a way that only he can, dissapeared.

I began mapping for the project, and Vegeta began making sprites.

KRoNoS came back, ripped some sounds and made the chainsaw and a few other things..

..then dissapeared again.

Life took hold of me, and progress came to an almost complete holt.

BUT now, progress has started again, EDGE is sexier then ever and the TC is beginning its transition to 24Bit.

Go the the site, doom25.cjb.net and download the newest files (actually, all you need for this release is the new d3d2_25c and d3d2_tex files, or if you want the key setup we run, get doom2_5.zip aswell). Should I add an option to the front page to play doom2 with the doom2.5 weapons?

Your mod has been DIVINED! MWUHAHAHAHAHA!

Edited by Dco16