Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zodiak

ATi or nVidia

What do you think is the better card maker?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the better card maker?

• nVidia
    • ATi
    • Some no named sh*t
    • I do not give a f*ck
    • 3Dfx lol

You may as well go ahead and debate whether Doom 3 is better or Half Life 2 while you're at it. :P

I'm getting an nvidia GF 6600GT tomorrow. Currently have an nvidia GF4 Ti4200. Before that I had an nvidia GF2MX.

So yeah, kinda obvious which I prefer :P

I had an ATI 9600XT temporarily, and while it certainly outperformed my ti4200, I actually prefer the nvidia card because the ati drivers were terrible.

I've got a GF2MX in my main comp. For either my next rig or a near-future upgrade to this one I've been eyeing a Chaintech GF6600.

Oh, and my test comp/server has an S3 Trio64V+. BEAT THAT, BITCH!

ATi's fast, NVidia's stable, but technologically, pretty behind. ATi's actually best geared to CAD, not gaming. That's why IBM and Apple use them pretty much exclusively in their workstations.

i like ATI better. if you are crazy and want to spend 700 bucks (US, god only knows about europe), then ati has the technically best card. it really depends on the games you want to play. doom 3 runs better on nvidia cards (although i have a radeon 9700 pro and doom 3 runs just fine for me on high detail), however, far cry (if anybody still plays that), and half life 2/counter-strike: source run MUCH better on ati cards. honestly, i played cs:s at my friends and couldn't believe how horrible it looked on his 256mb nvidia, compaired to how it looked on my 128mb ati.

ati cards are also nice because their drivers actually work, but whatever.

Piezo said:

Any of the top notch cards support ray tracing yet?

Technically, yes, although it's just a novelty right now. A better ray tracing card would be a bunch of DSPs stuck on a board (a mini SMP system, basically). GPU's aren't exactly designed with ray tracing in mind.

MasterOfPuppets said:

i like ATI better. if you are crazy and want to spend 700 bucks (US, god only knows about europe), then ati has the technically best card. it really depends on the games you want to play. doom 3 runs better on nvidia cards (although i have a radeon 9700 pro and doom 3 runs just fine for me on high detail), however, far cry (if anybody still plays that), and half life 2/counter-strike: source run MUCH better on ati cards. honestly, i played cs:s at my friends and couldn't believe how horrible it looked on his 256mb nvidia, compaired to how it looked on my 128mb ati.

ati cards are also nice because their drivers actually work, but whatever.

CS is only a 32-bit High detail game. it should run fine on any card

I played Doom 3 on my friend's Radeon 7000 (or 7500, dunno which it is) and the textures looked like SHIT.

Zodiak said:

counter-strike: source. and it looked very bad, even though he has a better processor and an nVidia card that is supposedly better than mine. although maybe he hadnt' updated the drivers very well, i don't know.

nightice said:

I played Doom 3 on my friend's Radeon 7000 (or 7500, dunno which it is) and the textures looked like SHIT.

I think I have you beat. I got Doom3 to run on my laptop's GeForce 2 Go 16mb card. Now that really looked like shit, played like shit, and if it had emitted odors, it probably would have smelled like shit too. But it was still fun to do :)

Zodiak wrote:

Honestly, what game isnt a 32 bit game nowadays. That's kinda like saying "Oh that game is just hardware accelerated" in the respect that almost every damn game released now IS hardware accelerated.

iori said:

Honestly, what game isnt a 32 bit game nowadays. That's kinda like saying "Oh that game is just hardware accelerated" in the respect that almost every damn game released now IS hardware accelerated.

Doom 3 was meant to be played on ultra with a 512MB card. Yea, some 32-bit action.

I have owned three ATI cards and honestly they were the best damned video cards I ever had. Never had any of these instability or driver problems that are supposedly so rampant. Personally, I think it's just a bunch of bullshit to get people to not buy ATI cards.

gargoylol said:

PowerVR Kyro2 64mb bitches

That is such a horrible fucking card, I went back to using my ATI Rage Fury (32mb). :P

ATi all the way, f*ck nVidia. And if I hear another person say ATi cards suck just because they have 1 bug in the driver that can be fixed with something as simple as a bug report... GAH!!!

Anyways I run an ATi Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro 128 MB. Have not gotten to try Doom3 on it yet sadly, I dont have it and the demo is WAY to freaking big for my dialup. I have some friends though who have it, one got it even though he doesn't play games (??), the other can't run it and he doesn't want to upgrade his PC because he doesn't have alot of interest in modern games. And I will NOT be getting HL2 at all probaly, and if I do, it will not be for a while. Why? Guess.

But yeah, ATi all the way.

MasterOFDeath said:

ATi all the way, f*ck nVidia. And if I hear another person say ATi cards suck just because they have 1 bug in the driver that can be fixed with something as simple as a bug report... GAH!!!

At least they give a reason why they like a specific card.

From my experiences with both cards, Nvidia and ATI both offer lovely graphics, but NV always had slightly better visuals and a definitely higher level of reliability.

The problem with judging which card is actually better is pretty difficult, given that no two systems are exactly the same and what one card does on one machine can be completely different on another. I tweak all my systems and software for optimum performance and stability, and NV has always panned out best for me. That's just me, though. Everyone's different.

11 posts and already trolling… at least can you explain your opinion?

No, the one that can run my games the with the highest degree of speed and quality is the best. These two companies have traded #1 spots a couple of times, and will continue to do so as they contniue to compete with each other.

However, ATI gets props for giving us free food and drinks at 3December :P

Zodiak said:

Doom 3 was meant to be played on ultra with a 512MB card. Yea, some 32-bit action.

how is this a defense of your previouse statement, lol?

i agree with you iori, i've never had a driver problem with my ati card. well, exept that one time i tried out the Omega drivers. i'll stick with Catalyst, thank you very much.

Zodiak said:

Actually, Doom 3 was probably built to run on SLI'd 512's, considering it was built on 380+ megs of texture memory, which means that the card had to have roughly 760 megs of RAM (iirc, 1/2 of a video card's memory is dedicated to textures).

Doom 3 was also more than likely built on dual Xeons, because it supports dual processing.

And in that case, NVidia's only the better choice because Carmack whores for them.