Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
insertwackynamehere

T. Rex Tissue Found

Damn, that's pretty amazing. It boggles my mind how something that soft and delicate could exist for 70 million years. They better discover some amazing stuff because of this, or I want my money back!

Before reading the freakin' article, I thought this was another eBay sale (a Kleenex that bore the shape of a T-Rex head). But this...this is cool, but I don't know how it'll contribute to overall scientific progress...

Needless to say this is a huge breakthrough. I mean people thought it would be impossible to get dino dna in mosquitos and here we are getting it straight off the bone, from an excavation? Thats pretty amazing.

What stopped it from decomposing. The mammoth was frozen. This was in sand stone. I'm assuming the bone also did not go through fossilization either, which would also contain DNA then.

I wonder what excuse the religious groups who claim dinosaurs are some fake conspiracy will come up with now.

To quote the report on BBC News...

Inevitably, people will wonder whether the creature's DNA might also be found. But the "life molecule" degrades rapidly over thousand-year timescales, and the chances of a sample surviving from the Cretaceous are not considered seriously.

insertwackynamehere said:

That doesn't make sense... if there is still tissue, wouldn't there still be DNA? ugh maybe I'm completly wrong :P

Yah there is but like the mammoth its decomposed pretty bad. At least with the mammoth they could fill in dammaged strands with elephant DNA. Rememmber from Jurassic Park. They filled in missing cromosones with African Frog DNA.

Xenphire said:

I wonder what excuse the religious groups who claim dinosaurs are some fake conspiracy will come up with now.

They've had a bunch already, long before this. Like, dinosaurs did exist, but god killed them in the flood...or you have old-earth creationists that believe in evolution being gods handiwork...and you still have the fucks that will flat out say this t-rex tissue is the work of the devil. You cannot reason with many of these people, and no amount of scientific evidence will convince them I'm afraid.

Technician said:

Yah there is but like the mammoth its decomposed pretty bad. At least with the mammoth they could fill in dammaged strands with elephant DNA. Rememmber from Jurassic Park. They filled in missing cromosones with African Frog DNA.

They actually made a mommoth? When was this? How could they know where the broken codes begin and end to patch them?

Piezo said:

They actually made a mommoth? When was this? How could they know where the broken codes begin and end to patch them?

No they didn't. I watched the bio on the Mammoth corpse they found. If they can get a strand of DNA. Meaning they can fragment it together with elephant or piece it together, It is possible to create a mammoth through about ten generations of elephants. Each Generation more mammoth then the last. I hope they do one day.

Knowing what we know now, it would have been much more prudent for the Jurassic Park scientists to have patched dinosaur DNA with bird DNA and not frogs. Frogs are separated from the dinosaurs by hundreds of millions of years of evolution, whereas birds are a relatively recent descendant. Birds also don't spontaneously change sex, which would have prevented that whole nasty reproduction thing ;)

Actually some scientists were served mammoth steak once, taken from an extremely well-preserved Siberian specimen. The article said it was pretty tough meat, though ;)

why did I think of " louisiana" when I read the "fry 'er up" post?

anyway, this is a major breakthrough, bla blah blah.

Well as far as the mammoth went, we aren't hurting for mammoth specimens, they still find those things frozen in Siberia and elsewhere. Also, there was a lot of meat, and they didn't serve even nearly all of it :P I think it was a publicity stunt for research funding or something.

Quasar said:

Actually some scientists were served mammoth steak once, taken from an extremely well-preserved Siberian specimen.

And that, my friends, is why mammoths are extinct.

Well, that IS actualy one of the theories. They still aren't quite sure what happened to all the megafauna.