Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timmie

New SYL = sweetness!

If you don't know that SYL means Strapping Young Lad, then get the hell out of my thread since you're clearly in the wrong place ;)

So I (finally) picked up the new SYL album "Alien" the other day. My god, this album is pure awesome. Two standout tracks (imo) are "Skeksis" and "We Ride". I've been listening to it pretty much nonstop for the last couple days. I find it much more catchy than their last album and City, but it has the same intensity as City. Overall, it's my favourite album of theirs now, although I haven't picked up their first yet (Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing).

If you're a SYL fan and haven't picked it up yet, I heartily recommend it! Can't wait for May 14 to get here now, I get to see them finish their tour here in Vancouver :)

edit: sample track from their website: http://mp4.centurymedia.com/audio/syl_shitstorm.mp3

Cool! I heard the last album was just a bog-standard death metal album, so I didn't bother with it....

timmie said:

If you don't know that SYL means Strapping Young Lad, then get the hell out of my thread since you're clearly in the wrong place ;)

Way to encourage people to actually generate interest in said group ;)

YES, I was very, very, very, well-pleased by the album, and I can only suppose your feeling was similar since you went so far as to post a thread about it :D

david_a: the last album was indeed disappointing ("death metal without the cookie monster", as LΓΌt put it once), but this one is as good as City - maybe better at times. "Skeksis" is one of their best songs ever.

Dodge said:

Way to encourage people to actually generate interest in said group ;)

It was, uh, reverse psychology! Yeah :)

I have it, I don't like it quite as much as city, but it's certainly an improvement over their previous album...

Lord FlatHead said:

Got my copy =) Pure, uncut awesome it is.

- CUTTED BECAUSE WRITER NEEDS NEW GLASSES - (done by writer ;) )
BTW: Bought in germany... only we have that stupid lable on the disc telling that its for 16 or older

To the band, i dont know them.
What music do they play?
More like some sort of microphone eater (bad and not even emuleworthy) or more melodic like nightwish and co (good and buyworthy)?

Bastet Furry said:

- CUTTED BECAUSE WRITER NEEDS NEW GLASSES - (done by writer ;) )
BTW: Bought in germany... only we have that stupid lable on the disc telling that its for 16 or older

To the band, i dont know them.
What music do they play?
More like some sort of microphone eater (bad and not even emuleworthy) or more melodic like nightwish and co (good and buyworthy)?

SYL sounds nothing like Nightwish & co. Thank higher powers for that.

Bastet Furry said:

What music do they play?

Check out the mp3 that I posted to find out yourself! It's, um, a bit aggressive, but I really like the melodies in it.

http://www.metaleater.com/album_reviews-syl2005.html

timmie said:

Check out the mp3 that I posted to find out yourself!

/me downloads
/me checks in WinAMP
/me hears first 10 seconds, jumps into the middle
/me stops WinAMP
/me kills file
/me gets out a Gamma Ray Disc and hears that to return his sanity

Hehe, that was pretty much my reaction when I got sent a bunch of Devin Townsend tracks.

Danarchy said:

Hehe, that was pretty much my reaction when I got sent a bunch of Devin Townsend tracks.

I dont like metal where the singer is munching his mic.
Ok, then there arnt many bands left for me, but as i dont only hear metal... ;)

* Currently playing: Sammy Deluxe - Weck Mich Auf

(Very nice politic hiphop song. The truth about our world in one song.)

Danarchy said:

Heh, Devin Townsend's the frontman. But yeah, this is about as uninspiring as their last one. Thank the metal gods for the new Judas Priest.