Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DMFDxUconn

What system did you have your 1st Doom expierence?

My very first taste of Doom was on a two PC deathmatch
setup at a local computer store (Best Buy, I think).
I played it with my sister. Oddly, I didn't think all that
much about it then.

Two years later, on the family Mac Performa 460, I downloaded
the shareware version of Mac Doom. I was instantly hooked. Even
with the computer struggling, it felt like I was looking into
another world, and I was just fascinated by it. Naturaly, I
explored every nook and cranny of the game world I still remember
getting pissed and frustrated when I tried to look behind the dead bodies (which rotated :), and also when I tried to squeeze into
the little sewer pipes in the nukage area of E1M3, in my quest to
follow it all the way to some processing plant or something
(hey, I didn't know about map sizes, or any of that stuff! :)

The next year, my mom bought me a 486 66/DX, and a copy of Doom 2,
and I've been dl' new wads and playing them ever scince. :) Of course
I've gone through many PCs scince then, and I'm currently on an
Athalon XP 1.2 GHZ with 256 megs of ram.

The years were 1994, 1996, 1997....and beyond.

(forgot that the subject line dosen't appear when replying.)

gargoylol said:

Either way, destroying the Doom32x cart was a good idea anyhow since it's so crap :P

I still find it weird that a cartdrige would display
messages like echo Bus Error, when back in my day
(Atari/NES), games would just get scrambled graphics
or lock up. :)

Rom said:

386 (not sure what model, was a friends system) on 4 MB of RAM. Unfortunately, even when played in a postage stamp on low detail it only ran at only a few frames per second. Probably a lot of swapping as he was running it through Windows rather than DOS. The look of it still blew me away.

Windows 95?! That would've bogged down just about any Dos game
on such a system. :)

If it was Windows 3.1, I'm suprised he got it to run.
The game usualy would lock up on I_StartUpTimer if ran
while Windows 3.1 was running.

Arckra said:

I don't remember a Cybie in it but maybe I never got that far. I remember going as far as Spawning Vats but from there my memory is a little fuzzy.

And now that I think about it I never did see a Cybie. I remember playing the PSX version for the first time and going "What the hell is that?!".

Actually, there wasn't a CyberDemon in the 32X version as well as many of the older console ports. It seems every console port was a bit different, PSX is the best you can get without using a computer, but many of them didn't have even a SpiderDemon either.

Umm.... first quad post I have seen in a while man.
Try not to do that.

Say hello to the "edit" button. He will be your friend, and save you from flamers and the dreaded mods...

Back in early 1994 I found a copy of PC Gamer at a local market and on a whim decided to buy it. There was a review of Doom in the Shareware section and it looked amazing (a world away from Wolfenstien's untextured ceilings and blocky scenery). To my 14-year old mind it was the best thing since sliced bread and I longed to play it.

The only problem was that I only had an ancient IBM XT at the time which could barely run Lemmings, let alone Doom. Luckily my Dad brought home his laptop from work and thanks to a friend at school supplying the demo version I played Doom for the first time on an IBM Thinkpad with 4MB RAM, a 486SLC25 processor and an incredibly blurry display. It chugged like hell but it inspired me to save for a proper PC of my own....

Later that year I was the proud owner of a 486SX/33 with 4MB RAM, a dodgy Soundblaster clone soundcard and a 1MB Cirrus Logic SVGA adapter. Doom ran remarkably well and the machine only started to have problems once Hexen came on the scene.

One of my favourite moments was helping set up a Deathmatch game one afternoon at school. It was exam season and we'd got the afternoon off - and according to my sources the IT teachers had a staff meeting. So, with a null-modem cable in hand, I arranged a Deathmatch session on the as then brand new 486 DX2/66 machines... It was great until one of the teachers came back into the room in serach of something he'd left behind by mistake!

(Years later, at University, I was in the midst of an advanced calculus lecture and along with the rest of the students I was struggling to stay awake. The lecturer soon got our attention by pointing out that calculus is used extensively in Doom and Quake. I've no idea if it's true or not but it certainly did the trick - we all paid attention after that!)

I must have been like 7. In 1998 (yikes, I'm only 14 now!), I was browsing through the abysmal shit that is AOL's kids only service. I found the Doom Shareware Edition there.

Two months later, I bought the SNES version, not actually realizing that it was Doom (I bought it used, and the front label was ripped off).

Let's say my dad didn't know much about the ESRB back then.

First played the shareware v. Then bought SNES version later at a pawn shop (and yes, I am also one of the crazies who still lust over this version). Bought Doom II when it came out too. Come to think of it, I've never had a copy of the original PC Doom. I feel deprived somehow...

Oh well.

Some old 386 with 4mb ram , it ran quite poor. I was 8 when Doom came out and I was too afraid to play without degreelessness mode on lol

The Green Marine said:

First played the shareware v. Then bought SNES version later at a pawn shop (and yes, I am also one of the crazies who still lust over this version).

There's a SNES Doom mod in development.

Funny you would tell me that. I just got done posting a reply on that thread. I'm excited about it. Job, maybe you could answer the question I posted there?

SNES, back when it first came out. I always played the first level, wondering 'how the hell do I get that armor outside?' Then came the second level ... man, that music scared me.

The Green Marine said:

Funny you would tell me that. I just got done posting a reply on that thread. I'm excited about it. Job, maybe you could answer the question I posted there?

yeah. I never found any of the secrets in e1m1 until after I had beaten the whole game and then gotten big into Doom2. Later I dug out D1, and stumbled across all of them.

played the full game the day it was released back in december 1993 on my dad's company laptop, and IBM Thinkpad 486DX 50Mhz, decent ram, harddrive space, had DOS and Windows 3.1 and a spiffy soundcard... and a nice VGA screen.... i think i was 12 or 13 at the time. I had played Wolfenstein on a 286 laptop before that, as well as commander keen and such, and i nearly shit my pants the first time i saw DOOM.

So i convinced my dad several months later to buy me a spiffy Packard Bell Legend 486DX2 66mhz 8MB RAM, 500MB harddrive, DOS, Windows 3.1 w/ free Windows 95 upgrade when it was released. Nice SVGA screen, soundcard for its time....

although i think my first desktop computer was a IBM PS2 8086 8MHZ system...... heh

I was 14yo. and played Doom II on a Performa 6115CD 66mhz/32mb/300mb Hard Disk Dinosaur. At the time it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen outside of a arcade.

Doom I shareware in 1996. Had a Cyrix 120 Mhz processor, 16 MB RAM, a 1.2G HD, a fistful of vertabrae and a headful of mad.

(Ok, maybe not the last two things.)

I was 14yo. and played Doom II on a Performa 6115CD 66mhz/32mb/300mb Hard Disk Dinosaur. At the time it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen outside of a arcade.
EDIT: OOps!... Double posted... Damnit!!!

Kochipahk said:

I must have been like 7. In 1998 (yikes, I'm only 14 now!), I was browsing through the abysmal shit that is AOL's kids only service. I found the Doom Shareware Edition there.

Two months later, I bought the SNES version, not actually realizing that it was Doom (I bought it used, and the front label was ripped off).

Let's say my dad didn't know much about the ESRB back then.

Kids only? **