Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil and Xbox Doom 3 In Stores

Starting at midnight last night, the expansion pack for Doom 3, titled Resurrection of Evil, and the Xbox version of Doom 3 were officially put onto store shelves and available for purchase. This of course does not affect those of you whose stores were either foolish or foolhardy enough to have put the games up for sale before the predetermined time. Xbox Doom 3 comes in two flavors: a Doom 3-only package, and a Limited Edition package that also includes the original Doom games that (unlike Doom 3) can be played in splitscreen multiplayer.

As with last year, id employees were on hand to sign copies of Doom 3 and give out other promotional items (such as t-shirts and posters) in a store (Game Rush, in this case) in Dallas. According to Gamespot, Todd Hollenshead confirmed that Quake IV multiplayer will be revealed at Quakecon this year, and that id's next project will still be what they do best, a first-person shooter.

Since the expansion pack is now available in stores, we're lifting our restriction on posting of RoE spoiler-ish material in our forums. Make sure, however, that when posting threads with spoiler content, to indicate them as such, thanks.

For those of you who reserved the Collector's Edition...

...you WILL NOT be receiving a DOOM figure. I asked the store what happed the the figure I was promised when I reserved my shit, and they said the stores ran out country wide, which I find HIGHLY ironic as this is the first day of the game's release after all.

I'd assume they ran out a long time ago and just used the figure as a ploy to get us die hards to pre-order.

Anyhow I E-mailed the company a nasty letter, so I hope I get a responce.

As for the port itself...

...absolutly AMAZING, runs better than it does on my PC, and still manages to keep about all the graphic and lighting details. No regrets there!

Also they are considering porting the Mission Pack to the XBOX as well. :)

Cool! I don't have an Xbox but my friend'll probably end up renting it and I can try it out.

(I can't run Doom3 on my pc, or rather I can, just in stop-motion!)

I had a choice of getting Doom 3 on my X-Box or RoE, and since I've already beaten Doom 3 I decided to get RoE. I just started and watched the opening scene and I'm really looking forward to playing it. I love how it gets right into whats happening.

Doom3 runs terribly on my PC and my little brother is getting it for his birthday next week. Coop will hopefully be great.

RoE is great, but has the same fatal flaw as doom 3: NO CAPTIONS.

i emailed the doom3[CC] team, and they said they're all too busy.

frankly, i could care less about dialogue, but captions for audio logs are a must.

that's been my major gripe with id- if you're going to rip off system shock, do it right.

From what I have played of this expansion pack so far, it is shaping up to be a really good add-on.

Some things of notice:
- The super shotgun is awesome
- Pretty cool new enemies so far (excluding the Forgotten Soul which, from what I have seen so far, isn't any different from the normal lost soul
- The Grabber is actually fun to use, unlike the Gravity gun in half-life 2.
- I played some CTF for a little while. It's pretty good.
- Alot of the levels seem a bit laggier than the normal Doom 3 maps. Rather than running at 60fps most of the time, it runs at 40-50 (which isn't bad, but still)

Awesome. The big gaming sites have already begun their "how low can you go on this non-valve fps?" limbo contest. The review on IGN is particularly dumb. If you've played the game and read the review, you know exactly what I mean. So far, the average gamer review says it's a 94% game, though.

You're right, that IGN review is really awful. IGN in general just has terrible editorial quality. I love how the VERY LAST SENTENCE of the review is saying that RoE isn't as good as FEAR... when FEAR isn't out yet.

It seems that both IGN and Game Informer have a problem with reviews, for which reason I don't take them to heart.

I would figure if all you did was play video games from beginning to end all day, you would eventually get REALLY bored, and it would begin to feel like you are playing the same game over and over again.

It is not fair to rate a game under these conditions. I think each game should be graded as it's own thing, rather than how it compares to the experience of another game, or how it lacks in originality or what ever, because some games are not striving to be original, they are just striving to be fun which is a vital point Game Informer misses over and over again.

Linguica said:

I love how the VERY LAST SENTENCE of the review is saying that RoE isn't as good as FEAR... when FEAR isn't out yet.

heh yeah.

Also, the score is way too high compared to what the review says.
Here's another instant classic:

Reviewer said:

....and you're actually rewarded for exploring and finding little bits of ammo and armor, instead of being punished every single time with a monster closet/teleport booby trap like in the original game.

Okay, maybe it wasn't every time that hellbeasts appeared in a flash of orange lightning right up my arse every time I picked up an armor shard sitting in the middle of the room, but it felt like it. Sadly, Resurrection of Evil does not buck this trend, and the monster closets are just as prevalent as before.

So first he says Roe doesn't have as many monster closets/traps as Doom3, and then that it does!?
There are only about 3~5 monster closets in the expansion.

How about a flamethrower, or pistols akimbo, or SMGs akimbo?

I really, really hope that's some kind of joke.

My favorite bit is how he ends the review with "[...]in my opinion." It's not even a bad review, it's just plain bad writing.

RoE has been interesting so far. I find it a bit more difficult than Doom 3. The grabber isnt the focus of the whole game either, which is nice.

pistols akimbo

Heh, this lead me to ask: why can't the marine hold a pistol and a flashlight at the same time? What does he do with his other hand when not reloading, or holding a bigger weapon?

One reviewer said that RoE was brighter than Doom3, but it was still darker than in HL2 and Far Cry. :p

Can't wait to play RoE, I don't have Doom3, but I played it at my friend's house and it was awesome. I'll probably go over there to play RoE when he gets it. I've been eagerly awaiting the X-Box Doom3, my other friend is getting it and I bet the coop will be awesome. It just proves that id makes the best fps games.

Its strange how the IGN review talks about how you rarely get to use the ancient powers when you want to. I've just beaten the third hunter and I've passed probably 30 bodies without needing to charge the powers...

Wheel said:

Its strange how the IGN review talks about how you rarely get to use the ancient powers when you want to. I've just beaten the third hunter and I've passed probably 30 bodies without needing to charge the powers...

I know, he must really suck at the game to be out of ammo for it constantly. Or he's pulling stuff out of his ass.

I just finished the expansion today and I love how it's changed from the tone and gameplay of Doom 3. It's a bit short, but overall it's a lot more engaging and challenging and it was definetely worthwhile.

yeah, the expansion is kinda difficult, kept getting my ass wupped by the third gaurdian and last boss. I liked the ending, just beautiful ;)