Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZardoZ

The UDooM project.

Hey!!!
I will expain what was UDooM.
UDooM was a Mod/TC of DooM in UT engine.
We was made the weapons, a bit items and a DM Level (DWANGO5 map01) when we recibve a emial from Id about taht we must stop because copyrights .....
So UDooM now are death.
I see your Freem DooM IWAD (awesome!) and i thik that ... Guys, you ahve problems wich Id about copyrights when made FreeDooM ??
And perhaps.... we can make a Mod/TC of FreeDooM in UT Engine. Using the HigRes textures, of DooM ReTexturing Project and yours textures, plus yours sounds & levels and the weapons models from Abbs and pther models like that use Risen 3d and DooMsDay. We can make a SuperB mod wich SP, CooP, DM, TDM, CTF , Domination and Assault modes

What think guys ???

Unreal is inside Unreal Tournament . In the fact, the moenters we can based in the Unreal Monters (taht are in UT 99).

How i can put some screenshots that i made from the old UDooM ?

ZardoZ said:

What think guys ???

Think we all Your base are belong to us.

Good! Good !!!!

For the moment the only problems is that we can call it UFreeDooM because have the forbiden word "DooM"
[quote]
------
As you might have suspected, this is not a project that we can allow you to make. Using media and the name DOOM are violations of the EULA for the game and infringe on id's copyrights and trademarks. Therefore, please cease work on your "DOOM TC for Unreal" immediately. This is not a formal letter, but a polite notice before you put in tons of work only to be disappointed. Accordingly, I must reserve all of our rights and remedies and nothing herein shall constitute a waiver of any right or remedy of id Software, Inc.

Please confirm your compliance with my request via return email.

Sincerely,

Todd Hollenshead
CEO
id Software, Inc.
------
[quote]
I Thought in "Rising Hell".

My ideas ::::

For the weapons i made , i will adapt or change a bit to be :
- First ---> I will change for a knife (need to model)
- ChainSaw ---> I will convert to the Disc Saw that have FreeDooM (need to model)
- 12 mm Pistol (a model that i have)
- SPAS ShotGun (a model that i have.. need retexture it)
- Shorty (a model that i have.. need some work)
- MiniGun (Unreal minigun model but in proces to adapt the Abbs model)
- Rocket Launcher (Abbs Model)
- Plasma Gun ---> Now will be Positronic Rifle using the Abbs alternative model for Plasma Gun
- BFG9000 (Abbs Alt model) ---> Now will be PTL 8000 (Plasma Torpedo Launcher 8000)
- I will add a kind of Rail Gun taht can penetrate small walls. I will call it PGC (Penetrating Gauss Cannon) (need to model)

Monsters :
- Zombies (no armed, Armded wich a pistol , ShotGun and minigun ) - Risen 3d models
- Imps -Risen3d models
- Serpent like, Imp of FreeDooM (need to model)
- Demon - Risen 3d model
- Minor Demon (Demon of FreeDooM) (need to model)
- Spectre - Risen 3d model
- Skeletor (Reveneant) - Risen 3d model
- CacoDemon - Risen 3d model
- Lost Soul - Risen 3d model
- Tentacle Demon (Cacodemon of FreeDoom wich out balls fire. Tentacles atacks) (need to model)
- Portal of Pain (Elemental Pain) - Risen 3d model
- Mancobus - Risen 3d model
- Sluger (FreeDooM mancubus, looks great) (need to model)
- Great Demon (Hell Knight) - Risen 3d model
- Knight Demon (Hell Baron)- Risen 3d model
- Spider - Risen 3d model
- ??? (Free Doom Spider wich Rail Gun) (need to model)
- Hell Necromancer (ArchVille) - Risen 3d model
- Great Spider (Master Mind) - Risen 3d model
- Cibernetic Demon (Cyber Demon)- Risen 3d model
- Lord of Hell (like a gigant minotaur wich a axe) (need to model)

For the levels, i can convert the FreeDooM levels geometry (like any DooM level) wich conservating the spatial relations (looks equal of big in the diferent engines). I will write a text about how convert DooM maps to Unreal / UT engine.

For items, use some risen 3d models and models of a polish guy that make some amazing models.

Too bad no Unreal engine game ever has had an "open" license. It wouldn't be "free" doom.

In short, you could try having similar gameplay, but original character/weapon/environment design concepts. Don't take other's to convert.

It doesn't hurt to be original, ya know. UAC belongs to the Doom series only.

insertwackynamehere said:

Heh id Software sure is all over these new mods popping up based on a ten year old game :P

No, his mod was for Unreal Tournament, so Your heh is misplaced :P

ZardoZ said:

Yep.... so i can use your stuff in textures & sounds ???

Yes, you can use the textures and sounds, and base things from them, but the licence applies to your derivative work: so you must let people use the same things from you, too.

Note to self: a clear, explicit licence on the site.

Cool !!! Not problem. I always put the credits of the people that make the stuff and im agree wich the idea of free software , stuff, etc...

In the fact, the original idea of UDooM was creating a base that permit that nay guy convert DooM levels to Unreal Engine keeping similar textures (better), items, weapons and sounds.

Now, ican use the stuff of FreeDooM to make a unofficial UDooM, that will bea clon that not use anything of Id, but can permit convert DooM maps to Unreal engine and looks and feel like DooM maps plyed in 3d source ports like DoomsDay or Risen 3d, but wich better Internet gameplay (UT have one of the best Multiplayer handlers that i see) and better graphs. And will run much betterr that the source ports (Need less computer to run the same detail vs a source port like DoomsDay or Risen 3d)

Jon said:

Yes, you can use the textures and sounds, and base things from them, but the licence applies to your derivative work: so you must let people use the same things from you, too.

Note to self: a clear, explicit licence on the site.

There is a clear, explicit license: everything is under the modified BSD license.

This isnt viral like you say. All that freedoom asks from contributors is that the copyright notice be kept attached (and hence, the contributors credited)

fraggle said:

There is a clear, explicit license: everything is under the modified BSD license.

This isnt viral like you say. All that freedoom asks from contributors is that the copyright notice be kept attached (and hence, the contributors credited)

Hehe

note to self: read the clear, explicit licence :)

(and link to it from a prominent place on the site design + wiki)

I said, that ALWAYS put the credits of the people that contribute, so i put the credits of FreeDooM.

I begin to prepare the textures to pakc in .utx format of Unreal engine.

PS: I apart of the reference to FreeDooM in credits, i will put a FreeDooM carpet wich the license and credits txt of FreeDooM. Its ok ?

PSS : All my works is free, so the new textures or modifications of it, we can use all people. I will modify or create a bit new textures, it can send you for HighRes textures.

insertwackynamehere said:

Heh id Software sure is all over these new mods popping up based on a ten year old game :P

I sometimes wonder how far id would be able to legally challenge some of these mods...

ID Software: "Hey, can you stop making your mod it bears a simliarity to our game Doom"

Modder: "How so?"

ID Software: "One of your monsters is clearly based on our Cacodemon"

Modder: "No, actually it's based on the head of a monster from the cover of a D&D manual (which is where you stole the idea)"

ID Software: "Some of your textures are clearly a copy of our GATE textures"

Modder: "No, actually they are based on pictures from that Necronomicon paperback that was published ages ago (which is where you stole the idea)"

ID Software: "Your shotgun is a blatant copy of the one from Doom"

Modder: "No, actually it's a scan I made, from a photo I took of a toy shotgun, that just happens to be from the same manufacturer that made the one that you photographed and scanned for doom.

etc, etc

What DooM media are create by Id ???

I can say that some of the sounds of the Imps and Zombies not are original media from Id.

I listen much of these sounds in cheap CF and Horror pictures of 90-95 and in "Red Dwarf" serie (1990) i listen many times these sounds.

I see many games that reuse or catch material from other games or brands.
I rember a aventure game (i cant remeber the name), that you can see Feline-Humanoids that her face are too like some characters of Wing Commander II and the ship that fly the player is a Warp Nacel of Entrerprise A !!!! Wich a rect wing. And these game was gift wich Cumputer Gaming World magazine a lot of years, soo was a Comercial game and i dont see that Paramount or the creators of Wing Commander said any thing.
And now Id is very (i dont know the word in english) "receloso" wich her supuest original media.

:S

Yeah, also the 'spitting' noise when the bossbrain gives out a spinning cube is often used as a fire sound effect in TV programs. I think a lot of them came from some royalty free sound effects collection.

ZardoZ said:

What DooM media are create by Id ???

I can say that some of the sounds of the Imps and Zombies not are original media from Id.

That's right. For instance
-imp's death (DSBGDTH1) is also used in Exhumed (PSX/Saturn) as Camel's sound (one of 3)
-Bast warriors (females with the heads of wild cats) in PC Exhumed use the Hellknight's sound as a death sound (slightly changed)
-Unreal's cows howling is very similair to zombie's deaths
-Zombie's groan (DSPOSIT2) was used many times in many games
-Duke Nukem uses a slightly changed Zombie sound
-DSPISTOL sounds like a tuned version of a 357 caliber magnum Shooting
-The door and lift sounds were used in a variety of places (for instance in catoons-like "Mask" and in other games-like Resident Evil 2 (door opening sound at the end in the laboratory))
As You see the list goes on.

Maybe I'll buy Doom3 engine, perhaps if we all do this, it would make them happy, at least for now.

Nmn said:

As You see the list goes on.

I'm presuming that if you pay for a CD of royalty free sounds, you can do whatever you like with them - including use them in something like freedoom. In which case, maybe it's worth investing in one! (suggestions for *which* one are welcome)

Jon said:

I'm presuming that if you pay for a CD of royalty free sounds, you can do whatever you like with them - including use them in something like freedoom. In which case, maybe it's worth investing in one! (suggestions for *which* one are welcome)

Are you sure it works like that? I remember back in the day seeing a CD full of high-quality videos of explosions (yes, explosions - they're not that easy to come by, ya know) that cost well into the 4-digits. I think you could use them anyway you wanted to once you bought the CD (I'm pretty sure that's where the Duke3D explosion is from), but I suspect they would have been kinda miffed if someone bought it and released all the content for free.

Jon said:

Professional sound packs cost a bomb ($100/$1000s), and I bet there are still restrictions on their use.

Here's just such a license (only the relevant parts quoted):

1. The audio samples shall remain the property of Sound Effects Library Limited or its Library partners and are licensed, not sold, to you for use on your audio equipment.

2. A right to use the audio samples is granted to the original purchaser (end-user) of the product (the Licensee) and is NOT transferable.

4. This license expressly forbids resale or other distribution of these audio samples, either as they exist on this Web site, or any modification thereof. You cannot sell, loan, rent, lease, assign or transfer all or any of the audio samples to another user, or for use in any competitive product or competitive web site.

6. Provided the particular audio samples have been purchased from this Web site and from no other source, use of the audio samples in isolation such as in video game soundtracks or web sites or library music clips (where they appear in isolation or as stand-alone sound effects) is permitted subject to clauses 1 to 5 above.