Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheHappySpoon

Demo website I was considering building:

I was thinking about making this website (with a modded prboom, cgi, etc) that would give demoers each their own page. You could upload demos for any iwad you wanted, and selected pwads. The website would give you a form for this, and upon uploading of the demo it would run it (really fast) through a console only prboom that would shit statistics out into a file. How many kills, etc, what catagories it qualified for. Then it would automagically place it in the respective catagories in your table.

There would also be a master table that would grab the best times from everyone.

It would allow for uploads from every skill level, 1-5. So even people who are horrible at Doom could have their own little page o' fame.

Just an idea that has been floating around in my head. I've not gathered the will to do the respective coding yet, maybe you guys could change that.

What you're describing sounds like a (slightly beefed-up) version of PDANG. If you're volunteering to become an admin of PDANG, then you should probably contact Ryback...

that does sound very cool.
one issue is that most people play with ports (which varies the difficulty and results a bit)... but that isn't an insurmountable problem.
One thing I really liked about Pdang was that you get points no matter what (just maybe not many points). I miss those days.

Yeah I liked Dashiva's Mirra point system, which is why I started running the site. I think though you should put a cap on points because otherwise too many people will play the same map for cheap points and less popular maps will be not worthwhile. Just an idea.

That does indeed sound a lot like Pdang.

You might want to get in touch with AdamH, or df, or whoever it is who has the current version of timer.exe. From what I've heard of it it'd probably do what you want prboom to do.

Ryback said:

That does indeed sound a lot like Pdang.

You might want to get in touch with AdamH, or df, or whoever it is who has the current version of timer.exe. From what I've heard of it it'd probably do what you want prboom to do.

Well, the problems with that are...

1) Timer.exe isn't headless.
2) Timer.exe isn't multiplatform.

PrBoom is multiplatform, and making it headless would be relatively simple. Being multiplatform is important because not all servers run Windows, and not all servers run on x86 hardware.

But what I want is really simple, just for PrBoom to analyze a demo, determine the time/catagory, and add it into a database. Wouldn't take much time at all to code that in.

But it is all a matter of motivation, I guess.

TheHappySpoon said:

But it is all a matter of motivation, I guess.

That definitely. I had a similar idea sometime last year (I think I briefly mentioned it to Opulent in one of the threads here), but I never did anything except working on a database schema. I'm just too lazy. ^_^

Feel free to IM me if you want to exchange ideas, though.