Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bank

Doom Board Game (possibly Virtual)

Hey, I just sparked an idea earlier this week, a doom board game. Now, I know that one was made over at Fantasy Flight, but, it wasn't exactally the kind of game I was thinking of, I was thinking of the traditional Board game, you know, role the dice, move forward, if the tile you land on says to do something, you do it, if it says draw a card, you do it, ya know, the classics. So I set off to make a board, and rules (of course), and came up with some stuff.

Rules:
Object: The first one to pass through the teleporter at the end of the level wins.
Players: 2-4 (still under thought)
Movement: The player rolls a single die (or spins a spinner, I dont know) and the ammount on the die (or spinner) is the ammount that the player moves foreward, in the case of a fork, the player may choose which way he/she moves. If the player moves on to a trap space (lava, radioactive waste, crushing ceiling, etc.) than the player must pick up a "Tricks and Traps" card from the appropriate deck. If the player lands on a space with a monster, he/she must pick up a "Baddie" card.
Decks:
Tricks and Traps: If the player lands on a trap, than he/she must pick up a "Tricks and Traps" card, the card is always bad, it can range from starting at the begining of the level, to moving back X spaces, etc.
"Baddies" If the player lands on a monster, he/she must pick up a "Baddie" card, these cards can read as such "Player defeats monster" "Player is defeated by monster, pick up an "Oh Damnit!" card" or "Player evades monster, move foreward X spaces"
"Oh Damnit!" cards are not always negative to the player, but can be benificial to others. "Oh Damnit" cards are drawn when a player looses to a monster, or lands on an "Oh Damnit!" space. These cards can read as such, "You got squashed...go back to start you hippie!" "Oh Damnit! Your closest friend uses your body as a shield and moves foreward X spaces, free of harm!" "Oh well, it could be worse, move back X spaces" etc.
Winning the game:
At the end of every trail is Baphomet, the evil lord and giant goathead, before you can proceed beyond him, you must roll a 1, if you role more than a 1 when you are far away from Baphomet, you must stop at the square before you reach him, and roll each turn, beyond Baphomet is the teleporter back to Earth, cross into it, and you win.
Tiles:
The game is split up into tiles, for skill level.
Blue Carpet: Easy: A few monsters, maybe a trap,
Metal Floor: Med-Easy: More monsters, and at least one trap.
Stone Floor: Medium: Lots of monsters and multiple traps.
Limestone: Hard: Tons of monsters and difficult traps.
Supplies:
1 Normal 6 sided Die (or spinner)
Character Figures
"Baddies" Deck
"Tricks and Traps" Deck
"Oh Damnit!" Deck

Here are some pre-pre release screen shots, just two maps and the textures. (sorry for the bitmap, photobucket changed them)

The text in pics 1 and 3 is too damn tiny.

Nitpicks aside, tho, I like the idea. Still would prefer the real thing, but this should tide me over till then.

Oh...sorry, I meant to take out the text, it's unimportant, the text in number one says MAP II, the text in number 3 says "Start Here (arrow)" and "Oh Damnit!" These were some original ideas for what i'd put on the tiles themselves.

If by "expanded" you mean to the internet, yes, and if by "expanded" you mean finished, maybe. I'll need some people to help make maps, and I'll need some people who can help make an online PC version of it.

Making the game out of an actual Doom map would be cool. Certain tiles would have teleports that represent encounters, upgrades, and traps.

'Encounter' tiles would teleport you to seprate arena style rooms that you have to clear of all enemies until you'll have access to the exit teleport, leading back to the board.

'Trap' tiles would teleport you to lengthy hallways filled with lava or waste. You have to run to the end of them to the exit teleport, taking damage along the way. On the board, there may be one or two trap tiles that teleport to a crusher room, which'll kill you. Some may decide to make a trap room filled only mostly with crushers, so someone has a chance of surviving, but not much of one.

'Upgrade' tiles would teleport you to separate rooms with some health, armour and maybe an upgrade. Required weapons and ammo would be distributed throughout the arena encounter rooms.

Some of the rules that come to mind right now are:

-When you die, you must restart at the beginning of the board/map

-If two players should stop on the same tile, the one who stepped inside last is allowed to attack the other once with either Fist, Pistol, Shotgun or Plasma Rifle. The Chainsaw, Chaingun, Rocket Launcher and BFG9000 are not allowed to be used because they either don't take enough in one shot, or they kill in one shot. The Berserk Fist is the only super powerful attack allowed to be used, because it is an upgrade.

-If three or more players are to stop on the same tile. The one who stepped inside last can choose to attack one other only once. However, if the attacker possesses a Shotgun, he/she may use the scatter as best as they can to hit other players on the same tile. The players being attacked are welcome to distance themselves as much as possible, or use eachother as shields.

-Any unauthorized killing of another player, accidental or not, will result in the killer having to suffer a point-blank Shotgun blast. What I really had in mind was a forced teleport to a difficult Cyberdemon/Spiderdemon battle with no items in the same room, but I doubt this can be pulled off in the game. Plus, one might choose to kill another player if they're in a situation where they have the equipment to fight a boss, and can only benefit from their actions. edit:Of course, the unjustly killed player is allowed to return to their last space, and not have to take part in any of the traps or encounters that it may teleport to, whether or not they went there already.

edit:-The starting sector may have one shotgun placed in it to support the above rule

-The map would have to be played with the monster respawn parameter, so enemies will reappear in the encounter rooms.

-I have no idea how the number of tiles per turn are choosen, unless you want to play through the honor system and roll your own dice at home.

edit:- Intended to be played with the Ultimate Doom engine, that's why the Super Shotgun isn't mentioned. If this is made for Doom 2, I recommend the SSG isn't included in the map.

More rules to come, if I can think of any.

Kickass! I like your rules, and that could be for an "Advanced" version of the game, and I've been thinking of making my version into a virtual board game, but yours would make a GREAT tabletop game! PM me with suggestions! It's great to see enthusiasm!

Here is a new map/board, it's called the Unholy cross, it's a 3 player board.

I'm just throwing these ideas up in the air for any mapper to use. I'm not talented at creating maps for Doom, or I'd make it myself.

Johnny C. already beat you to the punch. Either that or his DW scouts snagged this idea, heh.

Not really, if you look back a few threads you'll notice a topic called Doom RPG Forum? by me, get my drift?

Wouldnt a doom board game like, totally defy what dooms about?

You know....that whole..."action" thing?

I dunno maybe I'm just not cut out for board games.

=P

AlexMax said:

Would it kill you to read the first fucking post?

Missed it. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused anyone.

*Walks across room to scribble new name on "people to kill" list*

Looks far too white if you ask me. Have you thought about using some Zelda-ish wall tiles for the edges of the rooms? You could probably do it quite easily if whatever graphics package you use can stretch/skew perspectives