Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dittohead

Siriusly good music

Serius satellite radio, that is.

Honestly, I can almost always find something that I like on this sucker, at any time during the day. Whether its Heavy Metal, talk, or comedy, there's always something on - which is more than what I can say about anything FM/clear channel related. For 130 dollars a year, this thing more than pays for itself.

If you've been looking into possibly getting Sirius or XM, I highly recommend it and you won't be disappointed. I'm actually listening to a live stream on my computer, right now. :D

I'll have to get one in 2006 when Howard Stern's current contract is up. Yes, I'd subscribe just to listen to his show. Shut up. Besides, I hear there are good Ambient and Progressive channels on it.

Although I really have no complaints about Clear Channel-- they don't hold weight around here. Philadelphia has its own affiliation: WYSP (The one with Stern on it) is Infinity, everything else worth listening to is Greater Media or college-owned.

EDIT: I'll take this moment to profess my love for an awesome New Jersey station, WDOX. Back in the day, they played ALL alternative/indie; they did a damn good job of keeping months ahead of any pop/rock stations, so I could form opinions of up-and-coming bands before the airwaves became saturated (or they faded into obscurity). They're responsible for most of the leftfield bands from the 90's I've liked: Dovetail Joint, Grandaddy, Primus, Tool, King Missle, EDO, to name a few. Nowadays they've slipped, playing more mainstream stuff to keep numbers, even though it's still pretty balanced. Even so, it's STILL the best damn station to listen to when you're down the shore.

The Green Marine said:

I've thought about it. I'm poor though, so I just listen to my cd's and dream...
:P

Sirius is about $12 a month. Once CD might cost you that. So for the cost of one CD a month, assumming the typical CD length is 30 minutes of music, you could listen (if you listened 24 hours a day for 30 days) to like 720 CD's worth on Sirius. I suck as math, but you get the point. One CD a month for a year is 12 CD's, the same price for Sirius would be thousands of tracks and CD's worth of music, and you don't need to keep up with what's new, and store a giant booklet of CD's. I haven't bought a new CD since I got Sirius because I simply don't need to. Let them but the CDs! :)

Sirius has a funny mascot. Where's yours?

Fantatic: who buys cds anymore?

Meh. I have digital cable and they gave us like 100 channels of music and they all suck. Dunno if that's the same thing, but if it is then I really don't think it would be worth it. Hell, the local alternative station even plays better music than them. I can even get industrial Sunday nights from a local college radio. I bet Sirius doesn't even have an industrial/EBM/Darkwave channel. Anyway, it's a waste of money since I have like every song I want to listen to ever on CD or mp3 (and I intend to buy every CD that I have in mp3 format eventualy).

CDs > *

Danarchy said:

Meh. I have digital cable and they gave us like 100 channels of music and they all suck. Dunno if that's the same thing, but if it is then I really don't think it would be worth it. Hell, the local alternative station even plays better music than them. I can even get industrial Sunday nights from a local college radio. I bet Sirius doesn't even have an industrial/EBM/Darkwave channel. Anyway, it's a waste of money since I have like every song I want to listen to ever on CD or mp3 (and I intend to buy every CD that I have in mp3 format eventualy).

CDs > *

That's no sirius on your digital cable. I know Dish network has _some_ of the sirius channels, but none of the metal ones.

And yes there are industrial channels on sirius.

I love my CDs too, but this comparision is for sirius vs any other fm station. In which case, it blows it all away.

Dittohead said:

And yes there are industrial channels on sirius.

Black metal?

My problem is that I listen to more local and elusive music than anything else. I doubt (but do not know for sure) that Serius would have most of what I listen to. Maybe though...

Go to sirius.com and click the "Listen" link, I think they still have the 3 day trial. Subscribers can listen online for free (XM charges you for it).

I mostly listen to 27/Hard Attack (usually 8+ hours a day), they have a pretty good variety and they take a lot of requests.

I'd have to agree that anything is better than local FM radio stations. That's why I was so happy to discover online radio stations. I don't know if I'll ever get XM or Sirius, though.

Fanatic said:

I suck as math

And at too English :P

Danarchy said:

Anyway, it's a waste of money since I have like every song I want to listen to ever on CD or mp3 (and I intend to buy every CD that I have in mp3 format eventualy).

Shouldn't it be the other way around? Get the CD first and THEN encode into MP3 so legality won't be an issue?

Preferring CD over MP3 is like preferring VHS over DVD.

SnakeNet radio keeps me satisfied when I'm on the 'Net.

Fantatic: who buys cds anymore?

A huge CD tower is my penis compensation.

Shouldn't it be the other way around? Get the CD first and THEN encode into MP3 so legality won't be an issue?

Have fun listening to Underground (anything) that way. Even in the 80s, there was tape-trading.

Dodge said:

what?

What the hell are you talking about? MP3 is a lossy compression format!

Piezo said:

I'd have to agree that anything is better than local FM radio stations.

That all depends on where you live and what kind of music you listen to. The jazz/blues station here is awesome and commercial free (public station based at a community college). I even gave money during the pledge drive because I'm so satisfied.

Northern Orlando radio stations suck. The only one I like is this one being broadcast out of this college in Winter Park FM 91.5MHz. Unfortunately their signal is weak so there isn't enough signal strength most of the time. They play all kinds of stuff, most of which I've never heard of but still good, which is what I like about it. The only advertising is for nonprofit organizations and seldom companies, and it's all done by some dopey college chick live on the mic. :)

Dodge said:

How can I know if something is good enough to buy if I haven't listened to it before? Hell, half the stuff I listen to isn't even sold in stores. I only found it because I downloaded their stuff off the internet and whenever I scrounge up the money to buy a CD it has to be done over the internet.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. MP3s are compressed CD tracks (usualy). Compression = loss; loss = missing sound. And of course that means the quality of the track will be worse than it sounds on CD. Not to mention the fact that CDs are easily portable and you can listen to them at a friend's house if you want to since only obsessive music lovers have mp3 players. Saying mp3s are better than CDs is like saying .avis are better than DVDs.

Danarchy said:

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. MP3s are compressed CD tracks (usualy). Compression = loss; loss = missing sound. And of course that means the quality of the track will be worse than it sounds on CD. Not to mention the fact that CDs are easily portable and you can listen to them at a friend's house if you want to since only obsessive music lovers have mp3 players. Saying mp3s are better than CDs is like saying .avis are better than DVDs.

Well, it all has to do with the sample rate. CD tracks are always 192kb/s, and the highest quality mp3 I've heard of is 128kb/s. I think it goes higher, but that may be mp4 or ogg. If you had an mp3 that was 192kb/s, then it would be just as good as a CD track.
Also, compression doesn't denote data loss, otherwise archives like zip and rar would be worthless. :p

Also, compression doesn't denote data loss, otherwise archives like zip and rar would be worthless. :p

Those are lossless compression formats. Mp3 is lossy. It removes some of the data to make the files more compact.

I have numerous 256 and 320 kbps MP3s.

If you're ripping stuff yourself, I strongly recommend using OGG instead of MP3.

Piezo said:

Well, it all has to do with the sample rate. CD tracks are always 192kb/s, and the highest quality mp3 I've heard of is 128kb/s. I think it goes higher, but that may be mp4 or ogg. If you had an mp3 that was 192kb/s, then it would be just as good as a CD track.

what the motherfuck? you have no idea what you're talking about. MP3s encode up to 320kbps and are never ever CD quality.

Are you saying CD quality is higher than 320kbps? If so, I'm afraid you're wrong.

Danarchy said:

I bet Sirius doesn't even have an industrial/EBM/Darkwave channel.

Actually, they do. We've got Dish Network which comes with a bunch of the Sirius channels, and on 6022 is First Wave, which is all sorts of alt rock, nu-wave, darkwave, et cetera. Lots of good bands on that channels too: New Order, Depech Mode, The Smiths, The Ramones, Echo and the Bunnymen, David Bowie, et cetera et cetera. It's actually the only Sirius station we listen to in the house (although at six a.m. my mom blasting it while exercising is not fun).

I've already resolved to get it. I just need people to quit getting me fired from my jobs.

And, to continue with the off-topic MP3 vs. CD debate: MP3 sucks compared to CD, and all digital audio sucks compared to analog. Granted, yes, being a synth kinda guy, I do understand there are some things you can do with digital that you can't do with analog, but I'll take my old 33's and 45's any day of the week.

/me goes and puts Led Zepplin II on the turntable.

Liam said:

what?

I think that he's comparing DVD to MP3 and CD to VHS in terms of modernness, not in terms of quality.

That said, MP3 competes with CDs whereas VHS does not stand up to DVD in any way.