Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Ancient WADs

Where can one find some really old UDoom WADs?
I'd like to see what kind of levels people made when there were no source ports.

UAC_Dead!!!

FUCKING RULES! I have the U.D. version and the DOOM II version, both = THE BEST FUCKING WAD!!!!!!

Pffft. Back in the day, everybody made shitty Doom2 conversions of their big Doom maps, just ignore them.

FUCKING RULES! I have the U.D. version and the DOOM II version, both = THE BEST FUCKING WAD!!!!!!

Is it possible to merge them together ?
(What is the purpose doing that ? I don't know, just ignore that silly question...)

It can be done in multiple ways, but I did it the hard and dangerous way.

I opened the wad up in Wintex, change the map name from E#M# to Map##, then I merged the modified Doom 1 pwad to a Doom 2 pwad. Then basically all what's left to fix is the undefined textures from Doom 1 that are not in Doom 2 such as STONGARG and some others. That's how I made No Limits and The Tower II.

There's also a few programs that you can download that can convert wads from U.D. to Doom 2.

That reminds me.....is there a program that converts Doom2 levels/maps to Doom levels/maps?
I'd be really interested in that, even if the converted maps didn't quite look right without the Doom2 textures and enemies.

That reminds me.....is there a program that converts Doom2 levels/maps to Doom levels/maps?

There was something called WAD1TO2 that you could use to convert Doom maps to Doom2 maps, however you could also edit your own TXT files that you could use to convert anything to anything. I wrote one to convert Doom2 maps to Doom, as well as Heretic to Doom, Doom to Heretic, and some other ones using custom textures as well.

It's been years since I've used it though, I dunno if I still have those files around or not.

I don't think you could change things either, so you'd have to manually remove Doom2 things from a map if you were to convert it to Doom.

Where can one find some really old UDoom WADs?
I'd like to see what kind of levels people made when there were no source ports.

The place to look at would be:

ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/

Also my site has some level reviews:

http://doomcastle.cjb.net/

I'd be really interested in that, even if the converted maps didn't quite look right without the Doom2 textures and enemies.

I think i've seen a few in Doomworld/utilities, Thats the first place i always look. I once tried to convert a Doom map to Heretic, but the result was a WAD where nothing worked.

There was something called WAD1TO2 that you could use to convert Doom maps to Doom2 maps,...

Yes, I'm the author of Wads1to2.wad (and Wads1or2.wad)
You can look at that hellish page if you want...
http://forums.newdoom.com/UBB/Forum9/HTML/001253.html

And if you don't want to go where there is no light, as a stupid guy has said, here is the simple link:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jiveforyou/Zip/wads1to2.zip

Sorry about my stupidity!
I have made a search about WAD1TO2.
Here is what I have found :

"WAD1TO2 simply maps DOOM1 levels, textures, music, and wall patch entries, that no longer exist, to their DOOM2 counterpart or a close replacement.
The program uses an external text map file(WAD1TO2.MAP), which is customizable, to input the mapping information. Alternatively, a map file by a different name can be specified."
Tracy F. Thonn, 11/9/94

You can download it at :
ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/utils/wad_tools/wad1to2b.zip

When I make a mistake, I try to repair...!