Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
balanco01

Weird editing things you did when bored.

A few times, I took the linedefs of one map, opened up another one, and ploped them in the same space of the second map. The result was two levels that looked like they were tangled up with eachother, and there was slime trails and HOM galore. This looks best if the floor/ceiling hights are about the same with both maps.

The only odd habit I had was adding areas to maps which couldn't be accessed without cheating. One example is a sewers map I made back in '95 or '96 which had an incoming waste chute near the exit. I was bored and designed an entire incoming/processing receptacle for the waste on the other side of the chute, as well as a window looking out into a city from this receptable. The player could never get there unless they no-clipped through the chute.

I always try to place the monsters so that the player gets caught in a extremly big cross fire and dies at least once, or put in traps that instantly kill the player. I know this annoying to many players, but I always got my kicks off watching people struggle on a nearly impossible level. :P

Stealthy Ivan said:

I always try to place the monsters so that the player gets caught in a extremly big cross fire and dies at least once, or put in traps that instantly kill the player. I know this annoying to many players, but I always got my kicks off watching people struggle on a nearly impossible level. :P

That's not wierd .. just annoying :P

I'd have to say the wierdest stuff I've done was by accident, when I was learning how to make maps. Oh, the slimetrails, the horrors!

Lüt said:

The only odd habit I had was adding areas to maps which couldn't be accessed without cheating. One example is a sewers map I made back in '95 or '96 which had an incoming waste chute near the exit. I was bored and designed an entire incoming/processing receptacle for the waste on the other side of the chute, as well as a window looking out into a city from this receptable. The player could never get there unless they no-clipped through the chute.

that's a cool idea.

I sometimes find myself adding detail to monster "container" sectors (you know, the sectors from which monsters are teleported into the playing area) that the player will never see.

balanco01 said:

Weird editing things you did when bored.

pretty much everything i've made for Doom.

EDIT: god i worded that shittely.

balanco01 said:

A few times, I took the linedefs of one map, opened up another one,
and ploped them in the same space of the second map. The result was
two levels that looked like they were tangled up with eachother, and
there was slime trails and HOM galore. This looks best if the
floor/ceiling hights are about the same with both maps.

Stop hitting your enter key.

Anyways, I once was so bored that I spliced a big chunk of E1M1 and randomly attached to it to the huge outdoor area at the end of E1M8. Good times, good times :D

I made a map with Yadex that was a huge map with about 1000 monsters with all their backs to you & you had to walk past them all strolling :).

I still have it if anyone wants it!

PrBooom. It was a huge long corridor with 3 right angle bends!

Lüt said:

Man, I wish more people did this. I always enjoyed noclipping around maps when I was younger and always hoping I found something that I coudln't normally get to.

bejiitas_wrath said:

I made a map with Yadex that was a huge map with about 1000 monsters with all their backs to you & you had to walk past them all strolling :).

I still have it if anyone wants it!

PrBooom. It was a huge long corridor with 3 right angle bends!

Dude! Send it my way!

bejiitas_wrath said:

That's pretty nuts!

Ich plåyed around the first map of DOOM 2(tm), and mixed all the sectors and linedefs my eyes closed.It was one shitty wad :D (i still remember it altough it was 3 yrs ago)

When making a "city skyline" skybox for a ZDoom map that I never finished, I was checking the scale by walking into it and finding which angle and position would work best for it (with the IDMYPOS command). It amused me to be walking over my buildings and such with the greatest of ease, leaving gigantic decals with my rocket launcher - then I had the bright idea to summon some monsters. Two Cacodemons and several Zombies later, my city looked like the aftermath of a bad B monster movie.

I once made a silly joke wad recreation of E1M1 in a satire of the Doom movie and the then recently released news pertaining to it. I was just bored and the idea came to me, so I ended up just making the entire thing in one day. However, unlike some other joke wads that are just a random assortment of sectors that are made to be looked at for a second and then discarded from memory forever, I put a little thought into mine. I'm not a great mapper or anything, but I think had it been released then when news of the Doom movie was still fresh, people would have been amused by it a little longer than normal than some of the joke wads coming out now. I did put some effort into it. :P

However, when I tried uploading to the idgames archive, it was rejected for being an edited id map, when clearly it wasn't. When I emailed the guy who maintained the archive and told him it was not an edited version of id's E1M1, he told me that it was just a stock rejection message and that it wouldn't be accepted because it wasn't funny, that I'd never be a part of the community if I thought people might have liked it, and then claimed I was racist. In all honesty, I do think it was a bit better than some of the joke wads in the archive right now, but oh well. Better luck next time, maybe. :/

AlexMax said:

Man, I wish more people did this. I always enjoyed noclipping around maps when I was younger and always hoping I found something that I coudln't normally get to.

Yeah man, back when I was 8 I loved doing that. :P

I once took every e1 map and merged them together into one huge map. Not just a copy and paste job either, made sure each level linked to the others properly, had times where the player ran across the surface of the moon too (this is like a year or so before Doom 3 was even mentioned). Was quite the undertaking, especially with the key cards and tags that had to be changed. Used zdoom to allow for more key doors and better level links. Wish I could remember where that wad is today... chances are it got nuked with my old doom 2 directory when the hd fliped out. ;_;

Foofoo said:

pretty much everything i've made for Doom.

in my case, 50% of things I've done for Doom.