Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheHappySpoon

Episode 2 demos

(Sorry for the needless thread, Hit the wrong button.)

What is an "r demo"? It just looks like a speedrun.

Dashiva, explain what you mean by this term, or stop using it please. It is only causing confusion.

Wait, wait ... TheHappySpoon is Dashiva!?

EDIT: Having watched the run, it's not bad at all. Except, the E2M2 route is poor (you probably lost a second there)...

Oh yes, and please please, always include a .txt. :-)

Grazza said:

Dashiva, explain what you mean by this term, or stop using it please. It is only causing confusion.

Causing confusion? I am confused by your reference to me as "Dashiva".

Well, finally got some luck with the RJ again. I knew I would because almost everything was going wrong in this run, it was almost hilarious. Demon clogged the hall in e2m5, missed the invis in e2m6..

In fact, when you see me shoot the demons at the end of e2m6, that's because I hate them and thought it'd be funny, after all I was just about to miss the e2m7 RJ, right? Right.

Guess I had better continue, maybe I'll get lucky and one of my decent runs will snag an exit.

http://www.geocities.com/acronycloser/e2-0451.zip

I too, am very confused. Just what exactly is an "r" demo? I was thinking the same thing Kristian was...

r = Reality?

Nah, Dash gets hit by the monsters quite much during the speedrun referred to in the text file. Besides, he uses the Plasma Gun without restriction. Recording demos, perhaps?

Earlier that made me think back when I had thought to call demos otherwise, mainly just recordings, since they aren't literally demos of anything. Their name derives from the three (or four) lumps included in the game, which are demostrations of the game in action. But we use our recordings mostly for purposes of competition or entertainment, except sometimes when they are used to demonstrate engine quirks, playing tricks, or specific paths. Though, tangential etymologies are valid anyway, of course.

Yes, I'm fairly sure he just uses "r demo" to mean what the rest of us simply call a "demo". While this may be intended as a clarification of a mildly ambiguous term, it is evidently having the opposite effect.