Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

Doom Movie Not This August

why? were they worried about crappy summer blockbuster sequels taking over?

also, i'm bring zach de la rocha with me to the movie. just in case it turns out to suck.

Is this extra two months going to make it not suck? It probably has something to do with a halloween ad campaign or something.

Speaking of movies, that reefer madness banner at the top of the page is kind of stupid. It's not really a movie you advertise for. I bought it at borders for 5 bucks and I've watched it once. Yeah it's kind of funny because of the absurdity, but I really don't think it's worth wasting money on an ad for.

There are a couple of possibilities. They could be trying to tie it into a big Halloween promotion. However, Land of the Dead was moved up to the summer, which leads me to believe that Universal has a bad feeling about Doom and wants to make as much money from Land of the Dead in the lucrative summer months as humanly possible. I hope it's not that bad, but the film's bastardization doesn't bode well for it.

I saw an interview of Todd Hollenshead and he said they were done shooting the movie, so they might be touching it up some with special effects. On a side note, he says he feels Doom fans should get a kick out of it, so I wonder, maybe this won't suck too much?

Jello said:

Is this extra two months going to make it not suck? It probably has something to do with a halloween ad campaign or something.

Speaking of movies, that reefer madness banner at the top of the page is kind of stupid. It's not really a movie you advertise for. I bought it at borders for 5 bucks and I've watched it once. Yeah it's kind of funny because of the absurdity, but I really don't think it's worth wasting money on an ad for.

We don't pick the ads that get shown on DW, in fact we have no control over them in the least.

As for the Doom movie delay, uh, oh no?

Cyb said:

We don't pick the ads that get shown on DW, in fact we have no control over them in the least.

But i have control over them, at least on my computer ;)

Cyb said:

As for the Doom movie delay, uh, oh no?

Sorry, i dont get it o.o

For the delay:
I have no problem with it, more time trying to find a whole green uniform and a beige(?) helmet for me *g*
Maybe we get enough people together for invading Cinemax Essen as a marine squad!

The DOOM movie already came out a LONG time ago, it was called Event Horizon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6305222916/qid=1113628911/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-6076992-3208052?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

Infact I'm not sure why this movie is using the DOOM title at all...

...the plot has to do with an elite team, lead by non other than crappy actor # 5,010, the Rock, which is supposed to go in, and take care of some sort of virus outbreak that turns men into monsters, some of which "slightly" resemble those in the DOOM video game.

All I can say is I HATE Corprate Whore$. Marketing kills art, marketing kills the consumer's imagination. Why must everything be dumbed down? Oh ya, forgot, I live in a country full of morons. ;)

XDelusion said:

Event Horizon

ahahaha that movie gave me the creeps, it was obviously some inspiration for doom 3 and likely system shock 2 as well

certainly the only film paul anderson ever made that didn't make him look like a hack

XDelusion said:

The DOOM movie already came out a LONG time ago, it was called Event Horizon:

Ok, just to get that straight for me.

Doom is about a Mars Science Station that plays around with teleport technology and accidently opens a gate to hell.
The station is overrun and one man, or a small team for the sake of conversation, doing the cleaning job by eliminating the demon forces.
(Thats the chassis of the story, everything else is just fancy stuff that makes it interesting.)

EH is about a ship that utilizes nuclear fusion(that one with the 2 hydrogen atoms ;) ) to bend the fabric of time. Accidently they open a rift to hell and now all goes down from here.
There is a team that has to do the cleaning job by finding out what had gone wrong.

Many similaritys in the story, but its still not doom. Period.

Well ya...

Anyhow go waste your $9.00 at the theaters when DOOM comes out, then rent and watch Event Horizon again, and you'll see what I mean.

This is going to be one of those movies that make me wonder,"wouldn't that few mill that it took to make this crappy movie, be used for better uses, such as paying our third world slave labor better?".

XDelusion said:

[...] $9.00 at the theaters [...]

Umm, Cinemaxx is €10.00, that should be roughly 14 bucks. Why does everything needs to be so expensive in Germany! >.< *bite into the desk*

XDelusion said:

This is going to be one of those movies that make me wonder,"wouldn't that few mill that it took to make this crappy movie, be used for better uses, such as paying our third world slave labor better?".

Because that wouldnt yield any money for our greedy world.

xdelusion, be quiet. before you go spouting off how bad the movie will be, why don't you wait for it to come out first? are you an expert on the movie? have you seen it? did someone sneak you an advance copy?

no, i thought not.

me? i just KNOW the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy movie is going to be awful. i'm gonna see it anyway, towel in hand, and if i get thrown out of the theaters for shouting "wrong! WRONG! WRONG DAMMIT WRONG" then so be it.

event horizon is dissimilar to doom in terms of story (sort of... but plot elements are certainly there), but if you were to take some of the stuff from event horizon, and compare it to doom 3, there's some clear similarities, example being dr. bertruger/dr. weir. the scene where D.J. gets strung up by dr. weir, and all the bloody symbols on the wall- that sort of thing is so in doom 3.

it's not fair to compare EH to a movie that's not even out yet, but there's certainly a connection between EH and doom 3.

dethtoll: You serious, you that Zealous over a hollywood production?

You shoudl start your own religeon. ;)

Anyhow, you'll see, my powers of phrophecy are unbeatable..

...besides the Rock's in it, he sucks.

XDelusion said:

shoudl religeon phrophecy

i haven't seen any of the rock's films, so i can't say anything about his acting ability, but i bet he can spell pretty good.

Oh, he does very good actings, like in the rundown. Also, XDelusion, why are YOU so overzealous as to how this movie will suck. I am no mod, but it is my personal opinion that if you continue this type of attitude, you may very well be banned (PLEASE tell me you will cyb)

I'll get banned for stating that the movie is going to suck because it folllows NOTHING from the DOOM Bible?

Maybe I'll get banned for not being able to spell too?

You won't get banned for stating your opinion, but rational people might respect you less for making unsupported (by concrete evidence) comments about a movie that hasn't been released yet.

XDelusion said:
Maybe I'll get banned for not being able to spell too?

If it encourages you to go back to school, sure!

Actually, I will be going back to college this fall. Now that I'm 30 and all, I figured I'd better. I tried college right after high school, but I was so burned out on school that I quickly quit, but I'm heavily motivated now, so I figure I might as well take advantage of the vibe.

As for the movie, actually a lot of what I say is based on fact, I mean it is commen knowledge that the movie is not following the script for the game what so ever! As DOOM fans, I'd figure everyone would be upset.

Anyhow it is just a movie, and I'm just having a laugh, life's too damn short to be so anal retentive about everything, I mean if you are going to loose hair over a comment some random dude like myself makes about a movie...

...well then you need to seek help, rip off your suit and tie, your no fear T-shirt, your gator shirt, what ever, burn the thing, and go streaking naked in wal-mart, something, anything for christ's sake. Loosen up!!!

BTW how's my spelling?!?

XDelusion said:

I mean it is commen knowledge that the movie is not following the script for the game what so ever!

Not common knowledge, common belief. Barely anything plot-related is actually known for sure, and almost everything that people are moaning about is just rumours and speculation for the time being.

Lolol tHis MOviE iS GOING tO sUcK!
Now I am so cool!

Seriously. All you people who keep hitting the Doom Movie threads with "omg this will suck" posts are "starting" to sound incredibly retarded.

What shaviro said, I'm frankly getting tired of all this. I'm not expecting the Doom movie to beat movies like Terminator or anything. But I am going to give them the benefit of a doubt and see the damn thing and if it sucks then I can say "Well, that sucked."

Doom is a game, not a movie. And doom the movie, is just a movie that hopefully will have a story about hell and demons taking over a Mars/Phobos/Deimos base in the year around 2145 or something.