Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aseph

Resurrection Of Evil

I wanted to ask a couple questions about the ROE expansion pack, so all of you hardcore Doom fanatics who bought it the day it came out and have already beaten it, listen up:

First of all, how well does it compare to Doom 3? Is it long enough? Are the new monsters/weapons/items/levels good, and is there enough new stuff to consider it a worthy expansion?

Second, I already heard that you went back to Hell, but I was wondering if you were there any longer than last time. Because I personally thought the Hell part in Doom 3 was way too short, considering that it was only one level and in the old-school Doom games you would spend at least ten levels in Hell.

Third, I've heard several times that you don't play the guy from Doom 3, but someone else. Who is he, and how is he different from the other one?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Its pretty much like Doom3. The levels in ROE however are a lot larger and non cramped like Doom3. There are also less Imps as well. The new weapons and monsters are quite excellent, and the Grabber plays an important role to the gameplay. Also I think imo that ROE is far more similar to classic Doom's gameplay (lots of monsters).

Most of ROE's theme is cavern/Recycling type levels. In the end you fight though 4 Tech/Lab levels and then Hell as the last level. However, there are two hell levels for DM games. The new marine is none other but a marine :P

Jehar said:

Is it me or is calling Doom and Doom][ "oldskool" a little wierd here?

Well, Doom is old.

Can someone post a description of the new monsters (including bosses)?

Jehar said:

Is it me or is calling Doom and Doom][ "oldskool" a little wierd here?

I hate the term old school in video games. That and vintage. And that whole retro bull shit shoved down my throught. Dumn you G4!

And for monsters: The vulgar, bruiser, and hazmat zombie we all thought were cut from the final were added. Vulgar acts like the new imp. bruiser is a mix of the hellknight and mancubus. Goats like appearance but with rocket launcher arms. And the hazmat is a zombie in a hazmat suit.

Vegeta said:

Can someone post a description of the new monsters (including bosses)?

I'll tell you about the last hunter you have to kill. It's a pretty freaking beautiful fight. Blue electricity covering his body, in this dark, large room. Hugh generators in the corner.

I won't get into the tactics on how to beat him, but it's a really nice-looking battle.

Don't forget the Forgotten, the old school (sorry) Lost Soul.

EDIT: heh, no pun intended.

I didn't understand the berserker hunter. Was there a strategy that you had to use to beat him, or did you just shoot him anywhere until death?

I remember trying to make that battle deeper by only shooting his heart or whatever, but I think he dies no matter where you shoot him.

You're supposed to use the artifact to slow down time, and then shoot the glowy thing in his chest.

Of course you don't have to do that, but it makes the battle a lot quicker and easier.

I found that simple/intermediate strafing moves and a good regimen of Super Shotgun blasts did the trick rather well.

That, and jumping around like crazy.

Dodge said:

I thought he was a COMBAT ENGINEER.

Exactly. In ROE, you are a combat engineer sent to Mars to both protect and keep an eye on Dr McNeil.

you are a combat engineer sent to Mars to both protect and keep an eye on Dr McNeil.

Untrue.

AgentSpork said:

Untrue.

Actually, it is true. I read this in a PC Powerplay magazine.

Actually, it isn't true. I've played the expansion.

You do play a combat engineer, but he and the other team members were sent to Mars to help retrieve the artifact (which involves exploration, blowing up walls, etc), not to protect and keep an eye on Dr. McNeil.

NiGHTMARE said:

Actually, it isn't true. I've played the expansion.

You do play a combat engineer, but he and the other team members were sent to Mars to help retrieve the artifact (which involves exploration, blowing up walls, etc), not to protect and keep an eye on Dr. McNeil.

I guess that I should never trust the mags then.

William said:

I guess that I should never trust the mags then.

Yeah 'cause that was a totally bogus synposis you got from that mag. You are only with Dr McNeil for about a minute towards the middle.

Anarky said:

Yeah 'cause that was a totally bogus synposis you got from that mag. You are only with Dr McNeil for about a minute towards the middle.

I'm not reading those mags ever again. The people who write them are bullshit artists!