Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheHappySpoon

Is map07 possible in pacifist style or -nomonsters? [edit: Map07 UV pacifist done]

Looks like impressive work indeed. Now we just need someone to prove that Cam's bizarre map30 idea does actually work and there'll be no obstacle (in principle) to a 30pa run.

Most interesting read, Chris! I especially liked the included WADs and .lmps; very convincing.

One question: in theory, can it be done with strafe-40 only, alternately be facilitated with strafe-50, if the player gets a boost from a Mancubus shot?

Kristian Ronge said:

Most interesting read, Chris! I especially liked the included WADs and .lmps; very convincing.

One question: in theory, can it be done with strafe-40 only, alternately be facilitated with strafe-50, if the player gets a boost from a Mancubus shot?

If you move the player spawn spot back or forwards by one pixel in the wad, the demo will no longer work, that's how sensitive this jump is. It absolutely depends on the players "foot" hitting the very edge of the platform at a high velocity.

In theory, yes, getting a blast from a Mancubus shot would give you the extra speed boost required, but if that Mancubus didn't shoot you from directly behind the boost will be in the wrong direction.

All in all, I wage my bets on SR50.

Damn you, now my life will never be complete until I make this jump >:|

Grazza said:

Now we just need someone to prove that Cam's bizarre map30 idea does actually work

What's that then? Is it documented anywhere?

Lüt said:

What's that then? Is it documented anywhere?

Sorry, should have given a link (see the 7th post).

myk said:

Revenant rockets cause radius damage?

I do not believe so, but I'll look into it right now for you.

edit: I just modded the RL to shoot revenaunt fireballs, and they did no radius damage to either me, nor the trooper all grouped up in packs on map03.

The solution is to consider Romero to be a decoration and not a monster.

Pacifist Map30 is now trivial.

Also, to follow up on the Mancubus question...

Here is some output of me running away from a -fast mancubus fireshot (otherwise you run faster than it) and getting hit by it.

#179 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 16
#180 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 16
#181 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 16
#182 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 16
#183 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 16
#184 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 24
#185 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 23
#186 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 23
#187 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 22
#188 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 22
#189 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 21
#190 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 21
#191 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 20
#192 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 20
#193 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 19
#194 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 19
#195 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 19
#196 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 19
#197 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 18
#198 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 18
#199 Distance traveled: x = 0, y = 18

I got an instant 8 unit speed increase, and it trickled down slowly over a period of about 1.5 seconds.

This means that if you were running _normally_ at full clip and got one of those suckers in the back just as you were on the edge, you would be able to make the map07 platform jump.

Food for thought.

[Re revenant missiles killing the boss brain:] It sounded like Cam had somehow tested that aspect of the idea ("I proved the jump into the brain is possible and if your dead body is lying there the rockets will kill the boss"), but perhaps the mechanism was different from what he thought.

Might the homing missiles have curled down following the player, and some of them thus impacted the brain directly? Another question is whether homing missiles continue to track the player once he is dead.

Grazza said:

It sounded like Cam had somehow tested that aspect of the idea ("I proved the jump into the brain is possible and if your dead body is lying there the rockets will kill the boss"), but perhaps the mechanism was different from what he thought.

Might the homing missiles have curled down following the player, and some of them thus impacted the brain directly? Another question is whether homing missiles continue to track the player once he is dead.

Those things are deadly, what did he predict? 13 of them or so? I sincerly doubt he was talking about direct hits if that is how many he supposed would be needed.

Yes, I'm saying that he may have misunderstood the mechanism. In some test he did (maybe with a modified map) he got 15 to go in there, a few of them hit the brain and killed it (the rest missed, and did nothing), and he (wrongly) assumed it was combined splash damage from all of them that did the trick.

How else would one account for his statement, assuming it wasn't mere speculation?

Grazza said:

link (see the 7th post).

Jeez, that's even crazier than the map07 jump.

...yeah, you guys have fun with your pacifist runs now :P I'll look for the outpouring of frustration sure to come in following weeks :D

dashevil.sytes.net/stx-Vile/pa07-041.zip

Map07 has finally been beaten pacifist style. :)

Though you can probably imagine as much, but after this experience, I've become quite a bit more open-minded regarding possible tricks. I never imagined that a nomo run would be possible on this map, let alone pacifist. When we want something done, we'll find a way to do it, dammit. ;)

I'm just speechless. This is simply awesome!

Rini said (in his P1M73008.TXT):

"Now there are only very few "out of the base" maps left in COMPET-N:

ep4-nm the D1S challenge
t4m6 the ultimate tyson challenge
pa29 the ultimate pacifist challenge
pa17 "impossible"
pa26 "impossible"
t4m7 maybe even harder than t4m6
t4m2 this is definitely easier than t4m6 or t4m7
pa02 is this really not possible?
p1m6 the one I would try next (if I would try any)
p4m1 "impossible"
t2m9 who wants to try this?

Most of those will propably never be completed, but I'm pretty sure that some of them will.

[...]

PS: I consider p2m8, p3m1, p3m9, p4m6, pa07, pa30, ty30 not even possible when using all cheats you can think of.

Hahahahaha.... :-P

Another "historic" date. Congratulations, Drew! (and Chris too, of course, for the rigorous analysis)