Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vile

n2m7-017 -- Return of the thing glide

This is another edition of the trick research that Dash has been a major player in, as he has been verifying some theories about possible tricks that haven't been fully explored. This one is related to a recent thread made by Grazza that demonstrates the "thing wobble" trick in a Grenian map:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31050

What we have here is the ability to gain a speed boost, or at least to charge up an ST50 run, by strafing against an enemy. This allows some jumps already made possible by ST50 to be accomplished easier, or to cross some dangerous linedefs without activating them. What did we end up with?

dashevil.sytes.net/stx-Vile/n2m7-017.zip

This improves the previous nightare speed record by Johnathan Rimmer by 4 seconds and equals the UV record. Nifty. :D

PS: It isn't the smoothest run, but it's hard to accurately guess how fast this jump can be pulled off... perhaps the UV record can be surpassed. :)

Haha, amazing. Who needs rocket launchers?

I hadn't realized the e2m7 jump fitted the criteria for this trick so perfectly.

Schneelocke said:

Cool stuff, as usual. ^^ Are you going to upload the UV version to c-n as well?

I can't, the quota was filled, but bahdko made an exception for those two runs. It's okay if it gets delayed until after the update.. got some other stuff I can upload then, as well.

The UV run isn't pacifist, and it would probably take a good bit of luck for a pacifist run using this trick to be as fast as the normal speedrun. It's always more convenient to shoot the monster dead once the speed has been built up.

Vile said:

I can't, the quota was filled, but bahdko made an exception for those two runs. It's okay if it gets delayed until after the update.. got some other stuff I can upload then, as well.

It's still exceeded? Damn.

Map05 was nice. Seemed effortless to get the glide. Sedlo's run sure is quick.

hmm.. this thing-glide brings up many possibilities... especially in Cooperative mode.
Map03 pacifist -- off the chaingunner into the teleporter?
Map07 -- maybe a thing-glide instead of a rocketpush?
Pl01 pacifist coop?

Opulent said:

Map05 was nice. Seemed effortless to get the glide. Sedlo's run sure is quick.

hmm.. this thing-glide brings up many possibilities... especially in Cooperative mode.
Map03 pacifist -- off the chaingunner into the teleporter?
Map07 -- maybe a thing-glide instead of a rocketpush?
Pl01 pacifist coop?

Map03's jump came up as this in my program: (I assumed the most likely jump points)

Maximum number of gametics allowed in air       -> 6 gametics
Minimum player speed required to cross gap      -> 21.0 units/gametic
Unassisted running type required                -> SR40
Map07 is extremely iffy even if you are going at fully sr50 speed and are angled perfectly, as was already covered. I seriously doubt you'll be angled perfectly when you come sliding off the mancubus.

Btw, Opulent, are you aware of any coop tricks that use the BFG to launch the other player? My calculations on that say that it would give a 245 unit/gametic boost (aprox), and that kind of a speed boost gets me all interested in what kind of tricks are possible.

none that I know of.
timing a RL hit is usually hard enough. :)
then you would have to take the BFG damage....

Opulent said:

none that I know of.
timing a RL hit is usually hard enough. :)
then you would have to take the BFG damage....

Yea, it would require invulnerbility, but for maps with both it could be interesting to see what potentials there are.

I don't know if somebody haven't mention it somewhere before, but I did the map 7 in -nomonsters too (ST50 + Rocketpush of the column inside) and it was surprisingly easy, because I got it on a third try.

TheHappySpoon said:

it would require invulnerbility

Or (at the risk of stating the blatantly obvious) for the corpse to reach the exit. Or (for the pedants) for the other player to exit before the corpse of the BFGed player stopped moving.

Opulent: You mentioned pl01 pacifist coop - I can't see how the thing glide would be faster than the "standard" method with one player rocket-boosting the other.