Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cajun[CC]

Considering releasing my first map... (RELEASED!)

Here are a few screenies.

edit: Screens have been updated. Check below.

I've found that the hardest part of making a map is coming up with a friggin name for it. I'm open to suggestions. Right now it's "blah.wad".

edit2: Well it's been released as overrun.wad. See last post for a link.

Looks decent...

but considering its your first map, and the amount of detail...

blah is not a bad name.

It's hard to judge a map just from screenshots, but these certainly look promising.

Cajun[CC] said:
I've found that the hardest part of making a map is coming up with a friggin name for it.

You could try this. Keep refreshing it and maybe it will offer up one you like, or at least spark off an idea of your own.

I think it is quite nice for your first map attempt :) (my first attempts looked much worser, I promise!) ...but it needs more detail! Beyond that, scale is a important word for new maps! Don't make your rooms too small and too cramped, enlarge them!

Grazza said:

You could try this. Keep refreshing it and maybe it will offer up one you like, or at least spark off an idea of your own.

* Gasp *
Wow, I never even knew that this thing existed. Very thoughtful. How long has it been around?

That DOES look like a nice first map. It looks like something someone would make after a few years of mapping. Better than my first maps, atleast judging by the screenshots.

So I have to conclude either you:

A. Are a potentially good mapper.

2. HAVE been mapping for years but only recently decided to release something or

D. Mapping for doom has just become easier over the years for whatever reasons.

Which one is it?

looks pretty good for your first attempts :)

like people have said, do not release it until YOU are comfortable with it.

The level of detail...well i think IMO you should always detail to a level you feel comfortable with and then expand your detailing through out your mapping career, this way you never bog things down with useless details and an over aboundance of sectors/lindefs when you can make the same quality map with a few less of each:)

Finally focus on gameplay as well, work on the delicate balance of ammo/health/monsters so that the player (per skill level) has some what of a chance to achieve completion...

All in all have fun with it :)

here are some links to my project and see if it helps you (inspirationally) for mapping and game play ideas (sorry just screens and ideas) :)

WIP: Page http://wip.paci-fist.org/?a=listwads&wad=474

My Home Screens Page http://www.angelfire.com/games5/darkshadow2004/Screens/

For a first map that actually looks pretty detailed :D While detail is really good and all though, its annoying when people expect everyone's first map to be chock full of it and all :D

It looks pretty good,if this is your first map ever its a pretty good one.
But it needs more detail and some areas could be a bit darker IMO.
But other than that there is nothing wrong with this.

Grazza said:

Heh. Reminds me of that random DooM map-scenario creator.

Anyway, that map certainly looks better than half of the maps ever released. Good work.

Ok, I've spiced up the bare-looking rooms a bit. Those are sections I designed last, so I think I was getting a bit lazy with them. I've got a bit more work to do and then I'll post a some updated screenies.

On the fifth shot, try using contrasting textures so that your foreground doesnt blend in with your background.

I look back to my first map 15 years back (I still have them). It looks terrible. Or you practise a lot before you come out of the dark, or you have a great talent. Keep up the good work.

It's not really a matter of practice or talent. It's more a matter of being creative and really taking my time making this. I've been playing around with mapping for quite a while, but this is my first attempt at actually making a playable map that looks half-decent.

sitters said:

I look back to my first map 15 years back (I still have them).

Uh, what was that... Catacombs the Abyss map? Or a one made for Escape from castle Wolfenstein?

Ellmo

I have made in the early days 45 maps, but never release them.
They don’t have names.

Maybe you walk in those days around in a diaper ?

sitters said:

I have made in the early days 45 maps, but never release them.
They don’t have names.

Release those wads I wouldt say.

dutch devill said:

Release those wads I wouldt say.

The maps are not align properly, traps where you never come out. Hidden switches you almost never find etc. old doom2.exe, no features.

jallamann said:

And maybe you were 4 years ahead of everyone else with computer games...

Don’t say anything what is not possible.

sitters said:

Don’t say anything what is not possible.

You commented that you have been mapping since 1990. People are naturally curious to know what games you were mapping for back then.

Grazza said:

You commented that you have been mapping since 1990. People are naturally curious to know what games you were mapping for back then.

Ok the games are ( from my memory ) :

Doom2
Hexen
Power slave
Duke nukem 3D
Quake 1
Quake 2
Half life
Unreal
Unreal Tournament
Deus ex
Chaser