Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
niguel

PREY back in development?

i remember seeing screens of a game called Prey in this french gaming magazine i bought in frace around 1997 (it had preview of Unreal too). i didnt hear anything about the game after that. im not sure if this is a different game with same name, but if it is the same game, new screenshots would indicate the developement has been started back from the beginning (i didnt even know it was a first person shooter). it seems to use DOOM3 engine and looks so goddamn good (and bit DOOM3ish). DISCUSS

http://games.tiscali.cz/clanek/screen.asp?id=8897

EDIT: ahh its being developed by 3D realms so it must be the same game, since Prey i knew was being developed by same company. Oh, and im seeing threads like "is this is the same prey" in 3d realms forums.

AND prey.com anyone else get some kind domain site and suddenly a black hole like flash opens up and theres a face flashing and it disappears?

Heh, looks pretty cool. Sure kept it quiet. Hope it's better than Doom 3.

As long as it still has naked chicks looking at themselves in mirrors, I'm cool with it.

Ninja_of_DooM said:

I thought this game died years back. Why did they dig it up anyway? I thought they were working on Duke.

I heard DN4 was actualy nearing completion or something. Maybe they realised this and thought "oh hell, we can't actualy FINISH this! That might mean the end of the universe!" So they put it on hold and started working on Prey again.

i remember seeing screens of a game called Prey in this french gaming magazine i bought in frace around 1997

I remember playing a Demo of a game that was still being developed called Prey around the same time. It was going to be a Quake-like game but you were in a flying machine (kinda like a Quake version of Descent). I could be mixing things up; it was some time ago...

The screens look great

Back when DukeNukem 3d came out, on the disc there was a folder of preview screenshots- some for prey(which looked like quake but less brown), some for shadow warrior(with weapon sprites not used in the final game, good for ripping into doom) and some other game.

I never knew what happened to Prey, but I guess they decided to license the Doom3 engine and make it again!! It's kind of dumb, though, how they made it look ridiculously exactly the same as doom3(at least from screenshots, anyway). I mean, obviously its the same engine, but the textures, environments and monsters? It's almost plagiarism.

Xenophon said:

Heh, just another excuse for them to take longer on Duke Nukem Forever.

I thought the whole idea of Duke Nukem Forever is that it's taking forever, as if it's a pretend project. Sure seems that way.

This is a good page outlining the history of Prey. Some of those videos are quite cool keeping in mind how old they are...

So does the secret message in that page mean that 3D Realms realized Prey was the way to go, rather than Duke Nukem 3D?

I would like to see a Doom 3 engine-based game that actually looks different than Doom 3. Both Quake 4 and this look like Doom 3, only with stupid looking monsters.

Infinite Ammunition said:

it's vaporware, fag

we invented the language. Americans bastardized it. Pants are not trousers. U is a fucking rightous part of words that you retards rip out because your tiny american brains can't handle the U. And fag is fucking ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER, DO YOU SPEAK IT?

spank said:

he's english, fag

And that, my friend, is a mistake you only get to make once.

Better bring back the KMFDM soundtrack the orignal had...

3D Realms are not the actual devs on this project AFAIK, they are still focused on dnf. It's more like a quentin tarantino presents type thing I think.

Use3D said:

Better bring back the KMFDM soundtrack the orignal had...

KMFDM made a soundtrack for it? Was it released?

No it was never released. One of those idiots at 3dRealms has it.

Bah...late 90s KMFDM that's going to waste? That's almost a crime against humanity.

The KMFDM soundtrack is only 3 tracks, one of which can be found in the 1998 E3 video on the page I linked earlier. Not really anything to get excited over.

This is how it went.
Prey got put down in 1999 because of shit happening, and the engine was a major pain in the ass to get to work right.

2001 they picked it up again and this time under Doom3 engine. This is however a secret until this year.

Duke4 is uisng a seriously reworked Unreal2 engine and it was restarted in 2002 or 2003.

Human head is the company making Prey,
and 3dRealms is the company who'll work years on Duke4 showing off lots of stuff that will impress llame geeks all over the world that dream of being a sexist ego asshole who kill aliens and whatever else he can come across. then they realise that some other game that is coming in about 5 or so years look better and they ditch everything to start over.

darknation said:

we invented the language. Americans bastardized it. Pants are not trousers. U is a fucking rightous part of words that you retards rip out because your tiny american brains can't handle the U. And fag is fucking ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER, DO YOU SPEAK IT?And that, my friend, is a mistake you only get to make once.

... I have to agree. however, a counseling centre is something I'd be calling if I were you.

Theyd better get that realtime portal tech poppin properly