Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Azriel

MAP01: Entry released!

Hi everyone.
I'm working on a tribute to the original Doom2 levels. So far I've got map01 done.

It looks alot like the original entryway from Doom2 but I did that because many people say that map01 is one of the best DM levels ever so I think it's great to start the megawad with that.

Anyway, your're free to test it and give comments/suggestions.
Thanks.

You can find it @ azriel.50megs.com

Not bad, as for a 1994-like WAD. Two things - needs more texture variety in the last hall (the one with Imp cages), and the SHAWN-textured enterance fails it.

Yeah maybe you're right about the shawn texture. I'll see what I can do. As for the variety of textures in the room with the imp cages, what do you suggest then?

A few places where BRONZE and ASHWALL overlap, cooperate and such. You know, to make the texture shift a bit more gentle. Hope You know what I mean.

It did look alot like the original entryway,I liked it.
Those shawn textures don't fit in there I should't replace those by bronze textures.
Too bad there is a plasma gun in there,if this was my project I did not use it until map05.
If I remember correctly the plasma gun was first used in map05.
Good luck with the other 31 maps :)

dutch devill said:

Oops your right sorry,I forgot to check the original map in doombuilder.

Why don't you just play through it? It ain't long.

dutch devill said:

It did look alot like the original entryway,I liked it.
Those shawn textures don't fit in there I should't replace those by bronze textures.

Exactly what I had in mind :)

ellmo said:

A few places where BRONZE and ASHWALL overlap, cooperate and such. You know, to make the texture shift a bit more gentle. Hope You know what I mean.

You mean they should be better aligned instead of choosing other textures?

But on the other hand, it is a tribute to the original Doom2 so a couple of mistakes in design are allowed I think. If the level is really made perfect, it doesn't fit in doom2 anymore.

The purpose of this tribute is to make levels that could have been made for the original Doom2 but with my own little ideas worked into them.

ellmo said:

Why don't you just play through it? It ain't long.

Do you really think im going to play a level just to look if that weapon is in there or not.
Besides looking with an editor goes faster...yes it does so don't you try to quote me.

I like it, it feels like a true tribute map! Don't change a thing with it execpt some texture work like ellmo suggested.

Use3D said:

I like it, it feels like a true tribute map! Don't change a thing with it execpt some texture work like ellmo suggested.

Will do. :)
BTW, I could also use some deathmatch comments. How does it play in DM? I've tested it this afternoon and i think it may need a couple of medkits and the chainsaw should be placed more out of the way because it's quite annoying when you grab the SS and accidently deselect it by walking over the chainsaw.

@Xenophon: thanks for the report. I'll fix that :)
But normally you can't shoot them out. Well if you don't use cheats that is. Did you get in the cage when you fired?

Azriel said:
the chainsaw should be placed more out of the way because it's quite annoying when you grab the SS and accidently deselect it by walking over the chainsaw.

Well, in Entryway the Chaingun plays the same role; if you're not careful at the bend you often end up with it in your hands instead of a more powerful weapon.

myk said:

Well, in Entryway the Chaingun plays the same role; if you're not careful at the bend you often end up with it in your hands instead of a more powerful weapon.

Yeah but there's not much action around that corner. In my map the chainsaw is placed in an area where more likely many players will fight at the same time.