Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Demon Hunter

My video card is broke

I'm having problems with my video card. I ran Quake 3 on my machine and it ran very slow, which the froze the system which then prompted a reboot, yet when upon restarting everything is..well bleached white. The screen is so damn bright I can't see a damn thing! I adjusted the moniters controls which didn't do anything but make the problem worse. Anybody have any sugggestions?

Have you checked the gamma settings? Sometimes some programs will leave it ramped up if not exited properly.

As for Quake 3 bombing like that, it could be for several reasons. Hard to say without more information.

Never heard of any programs fubaring the gamma... O_o
Did that ever happen to you?

Jehar said:

Yeah. I've had Quake 3 fuck my gamma up numerous times. JDoom does it too.

wierd. never happened to me.

must be those silly SIS cards :P

edit: don't you just love those silly people who ask a semi-silly question then never make another post in the thread?

Jehar said:

Quake 3, Wolfenstein: ET and Thief 1 & 2. I need to restart after this happens each time. So damned irritating.

why do people get SIS cards?

they are crap buggy as hell...

my suggestion?
get an ati or nvidia card. forget about SIS.

I've had this happen on several brands of cards, it's not limited to SIS chipsets (which I've had). ATI and NVidia are not immune to it. Someone once explained to me that it's actually a windows issue, but I cant confirm this.

Normally you can fix this by simply going into your display properties, clicking on the settings tab, then clicking the advanced button. From there, it's dependant on your card, but you should be able to find a tab that deals with color. Try adjusting your gamma slider (or in some cases, a gamma wheel). You could also try restarting if you havent done so already (you probably have). If neither of these fixes the problem, then I cant think of anything else.

Jehar said:

why do people get SIS cards?

they are crap buggy as hell...

SIS chipsets are often used on pre-packaged machines sold by various companies (I know sony likes to use them in the Vaio series). So usually, if a person buys a prebuilt machine, they dont have a huge choice about the card. For the record, I've never had an issue with an SIS integrated video card, though they certainly dont stack up to NVidia's and ATI's latest and greatest.

AgentSpork said:

Yeah. I've had Quake 3 fuck my gamma up numerous times. JDoom does it too.

It only happens with me on Interstate '76 Nitro Pack, where it will dim, then brighten again. It's because of my crappy monitor though.

Usually launching another opengl game fixes the gamma thing (It works for me when doom3 crashes).