Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

Japan makes a walking robot!

I'm a little disturbed by that MINIGUN on the side of the thing. The fact that it fires goosh-balls doesn't explain the fact of why it's even there in the first place.

Looks like Mechwarriors aren't too far off into the future.

Heh, pretty cool, but also a little scary. Of course we all know it was just a matter of time before this happened, so what's the next step, real life Ghost in the Shell type stuff?

Mogul said:

Fekking timeline, people. :(:(:(:(:(

It's dated april 5th, shut up.

Mogul said:

Fekking timeline, people. :(:(:(:(:(

It's not like this is ancient history or anything. If this news were, say, a year old or something, sure. Feel free to spew out that retarded TIMELINE statement. This isn't even a month old, so shut up.

[ON-TOPIC]I wonder how long it will be before giant hulking battle mechs (like the ones shown in real live japanimation!!!) become a reality![/ON-TOPIC]

DooMBoy said:

Heh, pretty cool, but also a little scary. Of course we all know it was just a matter of time before this happened, so what's the next step, real life Ghost in the Shell type stuff?

I hope so. I love the ideas behind cybernetics.

walking machines are the worst idea ever for warfare. First off, they would be horrendously unbalanced. You're in your mech, laa de daa, first shell impact you are on your back waving your big mechanized legs in the air like an upended tortoise.

Second, battlefields rapidly turn into sludge pits. After a night of shelling and rain it's a quagmire. Now, these machines would be pressing down much tonnage into square inches of foot contact. You'd sink as you took your first step.

A 2-legged walker would probably fail, but I think one with 4, 6 or more legs would work well as an all terrain vehicle, though the precision needed would be rather nuts.

mallis said:

Second, battlefields rapidly turn into sludge pits. After a night of shelling and rain it's a quagmire. Now, these machines would be pressing down much tonnage into square inches of foot contact. You'd sink as you took your first step.

There's always jetpacks and jumping (ala gundam).

Toyota partner robots have already made plenty of progress in bipedal motion. It'd be interesting to see what they can do in reaction to recoil/concussive force.

BlackFish said

There's always jetpacks and jumping (ala gundam).

Don't make me even get started on the impracticality of such equipment. Aerial warfare is always best done with dedicated vehicles (i.e. jets and helicopters).

Wasnt a 4-legged one made years ago, i saw it on some show about robots, it was designed as a lorry, of all things, it had 4 stubby short legs, a cab at the front (looked like the cab on this thing) and a big rack on the back, like a milkfloat, was intended for use delivering aid/militatry supplies to warzones are natural disaster areas, and it was also suprisingly fast (well, like 5 mph), reminded me of a real-life AT AT, with short legs.

Alternativley, people could just use Land Rovers, no not shitty SUV shite, i mean REAL Land Rovers

I think the most likely combat use for something like this would be for scaring the shit out of people.

Not this one in particular though, looks too silly.

chilvence said:

I think the most likely combat use for something like this would be for scaring the shit out of people.

Not this one in particular though, looks too silly.

Most early attempts of things do.

They need to make a Puma,put some hellfire rockets and a 50 calibur machine gun on it and Deliver my pizza's like that haha

Janderson said:

Metal Gear!?

How did you know about that? That's one of the government's most secret black projects!

mallis said:

walking machines are the worst idea ever for warfare. First off, they would be horrendously unbalanced. You're in your mech, laa de daa, first shell impact you are on your back waving your big mechanized legs in the air like an upended tortoise.

Not to mention it would not be able to meet the requirements the Military would want for manuverability on multitudes of terrain. Try using that bastard in a rice paddy or a Bavarian mountainside, see how long before R2D2 needs a new headgasket or some shit.

Gokuma said:

I believe Japan also made a wanking robot.

Germany made a robot you can have sex with. I'd post the link but I don't want to get in trouble.

Danarchy said:

Germany made a robot you can have sex with. I'd post the link but I don't want to get in trouble.

can you at least give a hint? google gave 'nichts'