Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tarkus

An engine question...

I'm going to start making some new maps, but I'm curious as to what's preferred as far as engines go. Should I make the maps in ZDoom format with a few extra little features, or should I keep the wad in vanilla doom format? Also, what's the most popular (flamesheild:not best) engine these days?

Make the map for whatever engine you like. As long as it's good no one will care. As for most popular, I'd say probably Zdoom, but if you want total compatibility along with extra features, go for Boom.

Skulltag for singleplayer is great as it has new weapons and monsters while having some of the ZDoom features.

Tarkus said:

Also, what's the most popular (flamesheild:not best) engine these days?

ZDoom. That's not opinion - It's not my favourite but its the most popular(which is weird because its not the easiest to use or has the most features).

Nick Perrin said:

(which is weird because its not the easiest to use or has the most features).

But it gets new features more often then some other engines *coughedgecough* because it's updated more often. It's also one of a very small number of sourceports that will play Strife all the way through without royally screwing things up, but that is not quite what we're talking about here.

Well, I've started my map with Zdoom definitions... Let's hope for the best :D