Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Erik

texture extraction

Ok, I have the following situation and I need help to find the fastest way to accomplish some things:

I have 2 wad files, let us call them map.wad and tex.wad. map.wad contains one single level and tex.wad contains a bunch of custom flats and textures, some of which are used in map.wad (but no way near all of them).

What I want to do in the fastest possible manner is to take the textures and flats from tex.wad that are used in map.wad and append them to map.wad.

Which tool(s) can acomplish this without having to do it manually, and how?

I use NWT for that, but it bugs a lot in my system, for some reason. When it doesn't work I use DeuTex, but i guess that Wintex would be better.

The question is, is there an automated way to do this specific task, or do I have to copy every texture and flat by hand? (this will take ages, at least twice the time it took to make the level).

The question is, is there an automated way to do this specific task, or do I have to copy every texture and flat by hand? (this will take ages, at least twice the time it took to make the level).

Yes there is an automated way to do this - use DeePsea's Import/Merge.

Press F7

1. Select Import/Merge.

2. Select a target file (can be your existing level or a new name).

3. Select Add Lump Files (this is your texture wad).

4. Optionally, Delete anything you don't want from the list shown (if any)

5. Press Save and it's a done deal.

==========================

Wintex and XWE also merge, but in a different way.

ok, nobody even understood was I was asking for, so I provided a link to the texture archive in the txt file instead.

ok, nobody even understood was I was asking for, so I provided a link to the texture archive in the txt file instead.

I thought I understood the 1st one, but for sure I don't understand the above:) Care to explain?

The original problem was that the texture archive was 2.5 megs or so and the map around 200k. Including all the textures would not be an option as this would make the file size very silly compared to the playing time.

I used maybe 30 textures and 10 flats from the texture archive (out of 200+/40+) and I wondered if there was an automated way to extract THOSE 30 textures and 10 flats without having to look at the level, make a list of textures and flats by hand and then delete the rest after I append the file.

Well, I used another approach this time. But could be nice to know if it's possible or if someone care to implement something like it.

I used maybe 30 textures and 10 flats from the texture archive (out of 200+/40+) and I wondered if there was an automated way to extract THOSE 30 textures and 10 flats without having to look at the level

Thanks for the explanation. I thought that's what you may have meant, but I got confused:)

An interesting thing to do - very similar to simpler question that asked for a text file listing what textures were used. Forgot all about it, since I was going to do that too. Now you just made it harder.

Pfft...

There was I time when I had to spend an hour just building the texture lump for like 300 patches... then Tarin created p2t...

There was I time when I had to spend an hour just building the texture lump for like 300 patches... then Tarin created p2t...

Only thing is that has to have lumps already in the doom graphic patch format - leaving that grunt job still to be done before you can use it:)

Basic idea was good though - that's why I made the bmp-to-textures/patches tool in DeePsea a while back. Also does the lumps to patches for anything in a PWAD that is not already used in a texture - editable of course as to what is finally selected.

Got delayed a bit adding the basic texture/flat usage command - as easy as I thought it was - the last stage for what this poster wants be a bit more hassle. Will finish that later.

Ok, got all the reporting stuff done, but ran into an interesting twist that's will be obvious once I mention it.

If you have animated replacements those will show up as "unused". So be careful when you go to remove resoures that show up as "unused". Not sure if I want to automatically remove stuff because of this issue.

Hopefully, will post this mod and a lot more changes in a few days. It's in F7:Rename/Ins dialog. Will change the button name .. not sure what the button name should be.