1. 1. How Many Mics do you give With Teeth

• 1 Mic - Not Worhty of the NIN name
    • 2 Mics - Average
    • 3 Mics - Very good, comparable to other Reznor works
    • 4 Mics Excellent, some of his best material
    • 5 Mics - Classic, leaves Skinny Puppy in the Radioactive Dust

What do you think?

Ill post my thoughts later, im listening to it right now

You can stream the entire album for free, btw, just go to nin.com (the official website) and click on the link.

I didn't think the album was all that special. The second to last track was probably the most interesting.

fraggle said:

There doesn't seem to be a "0 - worthy of the NIN name" option.

I'm not exactly what you would call a total NIN freak myself, but, seriously man, what have you got against them? Have you even heard most of what they've done? If you're not going to contribute productively to the thread, then don't post in it, simple as that. I know you're a mod and all, but come on...

On topic...stream it for free, eh? Then why the hell are they even bothering to release it commercially anyway? I'm guessing the free stream isn't that good in audio quality (bit rate, I mean). That would be the only logical explanation.

the new NIN album is pretty uninspiring. compared to the fragile, it's pretty shallow water.

edit: apparantly fred durst thinks it's great. that's reason enough for me to assume the opposite stance.

It's an above-average pop-rock album. Perhaps early Radiohead if they decided to go Garage. The lo-fi sound puts me off-- not in the post-production itself, but the fact that NIN music is being put in that context. The songs themselves are simple, straightforward; no experimentation, no imagination. I expect that this is Trent's answer to the post-grunge that's emerging onto MTV these days, as if to say, "Look, I can crap out stuff like this in my sleep, and it's still better." Unfortunately for him, it's not better. It's barely visible.

mallis said:

edit: apparantly fred durst thinks it's great. that's reason enough for me to assume the opposite stance.

Fred durst. Heh. Nuff said.

kristus said:

Fred durst. Heh. Nuff said.

To be fair he's said that he likes all NIN releases.. and the past one's were awesome. "Do as I say and not as I do" and all...

I've only heard "the Hand that Feeds", I'm waiting until I can listen to it on my own stereo after I've paid Mr. Reznor for his work. I wasn't crazy about the fragile, but it was still a good album, just not as dirty sounding or imaganitaive as Broken or The Downward Spiral... THTF was... different. I felt his vocals could have went further than they didn, but it grew on me after a while. The lyrics, though not his best, were still chill inspiring to me. Needless to say, I look forward to With Teeth and seeing him in Chicago on May 6th and 7th! : )

Lüt said:

This is the stream I was talking about.

And no, the quality isn't all that great, and it would be a pain in the ass the skip to a specific track (if you even can, I didn't try).

I think he realises that he's going to make a fair bit of money no matter what, so he just threw it out there in an imperfect format to give people a preview. Pretty cool of him if you ask me, although I now know that I'll skip buying it.

I only heard the hand that feeds. I found it too popish. If I can say that. I hope the new album has a s powerful lyrics as the downward spiral. I doubt it though.

Worst NIN ever. Total horrible garbage. Complete shit. The saddest part is how dissapointing most of the songs are. They are ALMOST good but because of one or two minor details, they sound like ass on rye. Trent Reznor has totaly failed it.

Xenphire said:

Great stuff. Change from the same old angsty-goth-kill-me-now bullshit.

Sorry for the double post, but you really think this? I'm on my second listen-through of the album and to me the lyrics seem pretty "Man, I'm so sad, I wish I would just die already."

Indeed. It's like he's doing a bad job of pretending to be calloused. If, however, he had written a narrative about Jerald McGee and the Hundred-Dollar Horse, I'd have been impressed.

Danarchy said:

Worst NIN ever. Total horrible garbage. Complete shit. The saddest part is how dissapointing most of the songs are. They are ALMOST good but because of one or two minor details, they sound like ass on rye. Trent Reznor has totaly failed it.

Does one or two minor details really make the who thing "total horrible garbage"? I'm not saying it's not, as I haven't heard it yet...

I want to hear him do a cover or the wallflower's "one headlight". Heh

Scabbed Angel said:

Does one or two minor details really make the who thing "total horrible garbage"? I'm not saying it's not, as I haven't heard it yet...

That's what amazed me. I'm just stunned that you could so horribly fuck something up just because of some bad mixing or using the wrong instrument at the wrong time. The new NIN is like the perfect example of what I learned about in my recording class about how you can fuck something up.

And this has nothing to do with what direction the band has taken. Each NIN album sounds different from the last and I listen to many band that change their styles over the years and still remain good. This just plain fails it.

It started blah, listened to it some more, it's growing on me. It's no Fragile that's for sure.

For those that have listened to it, don't go out and buy it hoping that the packaging will be cool. It's not. It's total shit. It was released in Australia today. Some of the singles have had a better packaging treatment than this.

GooberMan said:

For those that have listened to it, don't go out and buy it hoping that the packaging will be cool. It's not. It's total shit. It was released in Australia today. Some of the singles have had a better packaging treatment than this.

Who buys CDs for the packaging? I tend to buy CDs for the music.

exp(x) said:

Who buys CDs for the packaging? I tend to buy CDs for the music.

You obviously haven't listened to the album in question then.

Well, I listened to the stream again after hearing a very short piano clip from the album on NPR today (a story on using the 'net to hype music). I can say that I liked it better the second time. The album is very stripped down, which unfortunately highlights just how odious a lot of the lyrics are, but it does have a handful of fairly catchy songs on it. Unfortunately it's got quite a few lame songs too.

I think the album would have been greated with a lot less open hostility if he released more than one album per century.

I was driving with my friends earlier today and Beside You in Time came on the radio. They said it was the most repititious song they ever heard. They don't really have the best taste in music, but I don't know if thats a good or bad indicator here.

I've only heard the "Bite the Hand That Feeds" single so far, and to my untutored ears it just sounded like middle of the road electro-pop, doesn't really help me understand why so many people are obsessed with this band.

Heh, it's not great... AFAIK "Bite the hand that feeds" or whatever is in the top 10 in the charts over here. Meh.

Danarchy said:

I was driving with my friends earlier today and Beside You in Time came on the radio. They said it was the most repititious song they ever heard. They don't really have the best taste in music, but I don't know if thats a good or bad indicator here.

I don't think that song is extremely repetitive, although it depends what you compare it to... Compared to nu-metal, probably; compared to something like late 80's RevCo, NO. That's one of the songs that I liked from the album, although I can't tell whether it'll get old in a week or stand the test of time for me.

The Hands that Feeds is a pretty dumb song.