Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Insomniak

5 random CDs

Go to your shelf/rack/whatever and grab 5 random CD's. What are they? where did you get them from? Would you sell them for money if you had to?

i.e:

Múm - Summer Make Good. a&b Sound at Sunridge, I'm selling it today because I still have no idea why I bought it.

The Orb - Live 93. Revolution games & music. I couldn't sell it, the live mix of Blue Room is just awesome.

µ-Ziq - In Pine Effect. a&b Sound downtown just before christmas. I don't know if I could part with it. Most of it is crap, but Within A Sound is realy good.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. Revolution music. Yes, I could part with it, because it's a crap remaster.

Autechre - Incunabula. a&b Sound at Sunridge. No, I couldn't part with it yet.

BTW this is just to see which 5 random CD's you pick.

• NIN - Pretty Hate Machine. Not sure where I bought it. Possibly London, or maybe somewhere in the USA. (I'd heard NIN stuff used for Doom music, and was surprised to discover that there were lyrics too.)
  • Metallica - Master of Puppets. No idea where I bought it. Maybe USA.
  • Tim Blake - New Jerusalem. Selectadisc in Soho, London. Maybe not the best purchase ever - I only bought it because he had worked with Gong, but I had no idea what his solo stuff was like.
  • Hawkwind - Church of Hawkwind. Probably Virgin Megastore, London.
  • Megadeth - Rust in Peace. Given to me by someone who knew someone who worked in the music industry and had some freebies to give away.
Church of Hawkwind is the one of those five that I'd be least willing to sell (I imagine it would be hard to replace), if for some reason I was forced to. None of them are treasured possessions though.

Eels - Shootenanny. I can't get tired of the guy's voice and writing, even if it's the only thing that carries his music.

Devin Townsend - Terria. Bestest album ever. 500 listens or so and still going strong.

Devin Townsend - Accelerated Evolution. I really like Devin Townsend.

Strapping Young Lad - Alien. ...And some more Devy, this time with skullsplitting metal flavour.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication. The only album both me and my mom like listening to.

Dragonforce - Sonic Firestorm - Relative at christmas got me this.

Dragonforce - Valley of The Damned - Relative at christmas got me this as well.

Marilyn Manson - Smells like children SAme as above.

NIN - With Teeth Go it from Amazon a few days ago

Megadeth - Countdown to extinction - Bought it in a local music shop

• Fantomas - Delirium Cordia. 75 minute long track from Patton's band-that-fucks-with-your-mind. Got it from the Music Shop in the Valley.
  • Haujobb - Penetration single. Vastly different to the album version. Found this one in an overpriced goth fashion store. Good thing I'm not goth I guess.
  • Alice In Chains - Jar of Flies. One of the best EPs ever made. Local JB Hi-Fi
  • Soundtrack - Judgment Night. Pretty champion rock/hip-hop crossover sountrack. Movie was kinda cool too. Again, local JB Hi-Fi
  • Danzig I. Everyone does know Danzig, right? Rocking Horse in Brisbane.
That seems like quite a limited selection of all my music tastes. Also quite a limited amount of places I purchased them - a fair portion of my CDs are online purchases, and another fair portion were bought when I was still living in Sydney.

Pink Floyd - Animals. In my opinion one of Pink Floyd's best albums.

Pink Floyd - The Wall Disc 1. Its great, but not Pink Floyd's best.

Pink Floyd - The Wall Disc 2. Great, but not as strong as disc one. Comfortably Numb is one of Pink FLoyd's best songs though.

Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds. This is the first album where Pink FLoyd really perfected their sound. Again it is one of their best albums in my opinion.

HEH. Disc I burned of Pink Floyd live material.

Guess who my favorite band is?

Death - Individual Thought Patterns: Jazzy Progressive Death metal. Amazing album with some truly gripping riffs, solos and drumming.

Napalm Death - Scum: Influental pioneers of Grindcore's first album. First part is basically a mixture of Celtic Frost and punk, second part of the CD is a mix of punk and just pure fucking aggression.

Deicide - The Best Of: Satanic Death metal. Compilation of songs from all albums. Got it when I just wanted to try out all the albums instead of getting one regular one, dah. Pretty good stuff.

Cannibal Corpse - The Wretched Spawn: Newest album by arguably the most popular death metal band. Good album, some nice and sometimes technical complicated riffs. Extremely good production and great vocals that you can actually decipher without a lyric sheet.

Cannibal Corpse - Live Cannibalism: Couldn't find on Soulseek or anything, so I bought this live album. Excellent live album showcasing all the aggression of a Cannibal Corpse show.

I should probably sell The Best Of and keep the rest.

Nah, I'll keep it.

Yngwie Malmsteen - The Yngwie Malmsteen Collection. I caught a glance at it at Sam the Record Man and recognised the artist. It was only $12.00 (Canadian), so I got it.

System of a Down - Self-titled. This caught my eye at a Zellers for only $9.00. I had been meaning to buy this for a while now so I could complete my SOAD collection.

Iced Earth - The Dark Saga. This was the first IE album I bought about a year ago. I got it while sneaking over to the US with some friends to do some shopping. I found it at a Best Buy.

Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengance (Remastered). Me and a friend were lurking in the mall, that usually involves us going to Sunrise Records and seeing what they have. I found this on sale: 2CDs for $20.00. The next day I came back and got that along with Judas Priest - Ram It Down.

Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond. Maybe two years back, my aunt from Texas drove over here. She asked that I make her a list of things I'd want for birthdays and such. This album was maybe #3 on the list, even though I didn't know much about the band and which one of their albums were good at the time. This Christmas she sent me this. After reading reviews, apparently Nightfall On Middle-Earth and A Night At The Opera (both of which I own) are their best albums. I don't agree; I rank Somewhere Far Beyond the best out of the three.

I wouldn't sell any of my CDs; they're not worth enough.

RJD2 - "Deadringer" - RJ is a Columbus, Ohio-based producer and DJ for the Definitive Jux small-time hip-hop lable. I like his individual releases because he dabbles in all sorts of genres. I bought it a couple of years ago on the recommendation of a friend of mine when I was first getting into (good) hip-hop.

Sublime - "40 Oz. To Freedom" - Most people don't seem to realize that Sublime actually put out two albums prior to its self-titled one, because the "Sublime" album gets all the attention due to the fact that it was released post-humously after frontman Bradley Nowell overdosed. "40 Oz. To Freedom" was their first commercial release, and it's really lengthy, which results in a dilution of overall quality. Still, it has quite a few songs that rival the best ones on "Sublime." I bought this I think when I was out west last summer and I wandered into a five-story record store in San Francisco.

Pulp - "We Love Life" - Yes, I'm aware everyone here hates Pulp, but I tend to enjoy listening to them so fuck you all. I bought this one in Barnes & Noble in 2002, when it first came out.

Wilco - "Being There" - I bought this soon after I'd first heard "YHF" about four years ago, and it ended up being pretty much a waste of money. It was then that I began to realize how mediocre Wilco is except for the masterpiece that is "YHF" and a few good songs on "Summerteeth."

De La Soul - "3 Feet High And Rising" - This is the definition of old school hip-hop. I thoroughly love this album because De La really knew how to have fun during an era when rap and hip-hop were really becoming mainstream and as a result, much more serious. The song "Eye Know" is one of my favorite songs of all time.

I'd probably sell any CD I own, since I could just burn them again.

random? I just picked the top 5 off the pile

mike & rich - expert knob twiddlers - uh what? why did i buy this? the first song or two are pretty good, as for the rest however...

juno reactor - transmissions - classic. easily their best album. used to listen to it all the time. if only some of the songs were 5-10 minutes longer though.

grateful dead - american beauty - great album, should listen to it more often

hallucinogen - the lone deranger - goddamn great goa...probably the best

haujobb - vertical theory - meh, 2 really really good songs and a bunch of utter shit. but that's how i see a number of futurepop/ebm or whatever the hell tracks, a couple of nice shiny diamonds in the fetid rough.

the top 5 off of my pile:

jandek - the gone wait: pained moaning over totally random upright bass playing. really good.

melt banana - cellscape: noise punk with chipmunk vocals. the riffs are often atonal. good stuff.

bastard noise - throne is melting: compilation of tracks from several shorter releases. there's a lot of variety here. my favorite track is the titular song, which is two minutes of blasting noise with death vocals.

godflesh - selfless: unlike most, this is my favorite godflesh cd. it has my favorite godflesh track, the totally epic and brutal "go and spread your wings".

neil young - on the beach: probably my favorite neil young cd. it's the last of his 'ditch trilogy', and, like the others, is pretty miserable. contains my favorite neil young track, 'ambulance blues'. this album was out of print for a long time, just recently being rereleased.

Kid Airbag said:

Wilco - "Being There" - I bought this soon after I'd first heard "YHF" about four years ago, and it ended up being pretty much a waste of money. It was then that I began to realize how mediocre Wilco is except for the masterpiece that is "YHF" and a few good songs on "Summerteeth."

That album has defined the past year for me. I have it on vinyl, and I could never part with it. Such a good album.

Five CDs I left at work and decided to post in this thread about :

• Devin Townsend - Terria. Check Flathead's comments for my view on this album. eBay (two disc limited edition).
  • Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile. This was my favourite album until I discovered Devin. Shut down Sanity, Wetherill Park, Sydney. Day of release too I got it.
  • Das Ich - Lava. Latest DI album, pretty cool. Metropolis Mail Order.
  • Ice Cube - War & Peace Vol. 1. Told ya I have a wider taste :P Dr Frankenstein is a pretty cool song. Skinny's, Brisbane.
  • Kyuss - ...And The Circus Leaves Town. Got this after I discovered QOTSA, really cool album. Beatdisc second hand music store, Parramatta, Sydney.

I literaly just closed my eyes and took 5 CDs off my rack...

cEvin Key - The Ghost of Each Room I bought this at the SKinny Puppy concert I went to last July. They had this, Back and Forth 6, GWOTR, both of ohGrs albums, and cEvin Key and Ken Marshall's Dragon Experience. I picked this one cause it was on my list of stuff to get and I REALLY love Frozen Sky. I would not get rid of it. It's not the best album but really love some of the tracks on it ( a couple seem to be unreleased Tear Garden) and it's great background music.

Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animals I got this CD for Xmas or something from a friend. I wouldn't get rid of this either. It's one of two good CDs Manson ever did and when it came out I was in a very depressed and bleak time of my life which this album matched perfectly.

Nine Inch Nails - The Perfect Drug Versions I got this one day soon before the holiday season one year. I was hanging out with a friend of mine and we went to Best Buy. I had no money on me but I found this and back then the NIN singles seemed to be doing a fast circuit and I had to nab what I could when I could (like one month I'd find tons of Closer to God everywhere, but nothing else, then the next month there would be no CLoser to God but tons fo Head Like a Hole etc.) and this was at the height of my NIn craze where I was collecting all the halos. So I asked my friend if I could borrow some cash and I did, but we had to wait in a long-ass holiday line. :P It's not a great album but I wouldn't sell it cause I kind of like my huge NIN collection even though I never listen to it anymore.

Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Oz Found this used at Wherehouse when I was into Ozzy. Its one of his few good albums, but I'd sell it for about $5.

Radiohead - Kid A I bought this with my own damn money that I got with the job I had the same day I got my 120 GB HD. Man, that was great. Spending my own earned money. :/ Anyway, I love this album and I wouldn't get rid of it.

And that's it. Glad I didn't pick out one of my KoRn albums. O_o

GooberMan said:

Alice In Chains - Jar of Flies. One of the best EPs ever made.

So true. Every song on the album would be make the album worth getting for itself alone. Don't Follow is probably my favorite and it went through my head a lot when Lane Staley died. Whale and Wasp is a really great instrumental too.