Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pattoni

Another WAD... Do you really care?

Hi folks, it's been a while... Well, I've been doing some hard disk backup and just found this level I was working on last year (15 months ago to be more precise) when I discovered about Doom Builder (great WAD editor, simply great). If you DO care, then i will continue working in it. Doom editing has always been fun, maybe that's why we still discuss about this 12 year old game.

Some screenies... since it's WIP, some of the areas needs more detailling.

http://img118.echo.cx/img118/387/collision011wq.jpg
http://img118.echo.cx/img118/4990/collision024vh.jpg
http://img118.echo.cx/img118/994/collision038st.jpg
http://img118.echo.cx/img118/5586/collision049at.jpg

Just one more thing, what's worse: my english or my level? Thanks for your (possible) feedback. See ya.

I care!, this level looks intriguing, I think it may hold promise. Oh and I've heard much worse english on these forums, yours is fine.

Your level is actually quite impressive, as are your English skills. The curved walls in Screenshot 1 are something that I surprisingly haven't seen done often, and the lighting in Screenshot 2 is also quite good. I'll agree that Screenshot 4 needs a bit more flavor, and I'm indifferent towards Screenshot 3.

In conclusion: your mapping skills and your English skills are pretty evenly matched.

One of these days, I gotta release a map.

All this needs really is floor and ceiling variation. Theres so many possibilitys of floor and ceiling mixups when using the flats and ceilings in those screenies. Shadowing and Lighting is always fun to look at too, try and think atmospheric.

Your map it's very impresive, I'd like to see it finished. But it's up to you, DOOM editing it's for fun, to continue or not depends on if you find it tedious or fun.

Oh, and don't mind, your screens have enough floor/ceiling variations (probably I'd add one or two dead marines on some places. I think it's better this kind of natural floor/ceiling variation than to force it adding unnecesary and empty of content variants when it's not needed (like a lesser floor height with diferent texture in the same sector you added some lights).

Thanks for your feedback. The issue about Doom editing (at least for me), is that if you add detail on floor, it becomes tricky to add detail on ceiling and vice-versa. Consider adding some lighting, then it becomes a real nightmare. Anyway, i'll do it. :-)

I've been playing those "WADs of the year" for some inspiration and ideas. Some of these WADs are really impressive.

My goal is to make an decent WAD using only Doom's II original textures. I'll probably import some of Ultimate Doom's textures and lumps and combine them all together. Unfortunately when the matter are FLATS, we've got a problem here: there are not so many.

As far as progress goes, i'll update this post with new screenshots based on some of my ideas and your suggestions.

Tchau!

okay the architecture is bleh but WHAT IN GOD'S NAME IS THAT LIGHTING?!?!? the shadows are amazing. what the hell engine is that running in?!?! cause really thats whats making the quite ordinary wad look stunning.

Foofoo said:
where have i been. :(

I remember now... you were in the losers Forum.

Little Faith said:

Your work reminds me of Doom_Dude.

That's not very nice thing to say. :p

some of the areas needs more detailling.

It does? It looks just fine to me.

I think it looks lovely! A good clean look all around, with nice lighting. I'll play this one when it's done.

I care too, I think there is a lack of cool/impressive/inovative wads for
too many weeks now...
You wad seems not HYPER-DETAILLED but classy in details.
As for me, it's not needed to have a ton of details, you just have to use the more expressive ones.

Xenophon, yeah I don't really understand
too the rage of reviewing 1994 wads....
I don't say there is nothing interesting in.
But if those reviews appears is it because there are no more new wads to review?

I don't like alot of detail. It makes me NOT want to play a level. I think its because the gameplay MAY be put next to the detail. This map seems to have the perfect balance between detail and,um, underdetail. If you have good gameplay in this map, you'll have a winner ;)