Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Made with SLADE

That Slayer guy has released a new version of his experimental Doom editor SLADE, which is complete with all sorts of nifty features, including 3D mode. The fact that it's only to version 0.4a shows that it's not nearly done, but it should be functional in most respects. It's coded using OpenGL and SDL, which means it should be rather portable (in fact, he's looking for someone to port it to Linux right now).

I'm so tempted to work on the Linux port...but have too many of my own programming projects to consider at the moment.

Hopefully the Linux port will follow shortly. I've been dying for a Linux editor with 3D mode.

add a sector based editing mode alongside the vertex editing mode so that i can use both and this will be my favorite editor probably.

This looks quite promising. I very much like the ability to see the things in 3D mode.

Ralphis said:

add a sector based editing mode alongside the vertex editing mode so that i can use both and this will be my favorite editor probably.

Press the spacebar in 2D mode and you can add sectors just like you would in Doom Builder.

Heh I think he means like in WA. I plan to add that style of editing sometime ;) Just gotta get WA again because I've forgotten how it works.

This looks nice... and here I was being depressed about DB's non-portability.

The interface is clean and nice, and I like your ideas on 3d mode interface. line\sector outlines are nice.

Keep up the good work, and I may find myself with an awesome linux doom editing enviroment.

Well, DB is actually adding things to 3d mode in the next version :P

Though I wasn't expecting a release of this editor so soon, going to give it a looksy in a minute.

SlayeR said:

Heh I think he means like in WA. I plan to add that style of editing sometime ;) Just gotta get WA again because I've forgotten how it works.

Yes that's what I meant :P

This reminds me of DEU, and not in a good way. It seems obtuse, and I couldn't figure out how to do anything. Also, in some cases, I was finding that some menu options were not working (like close map).

However, this looks incredably promising. Keep at it.

i think this editor would appeal to old-school doomers who grew up on dos editors. which is really cool i think. Slayer, please keep this style in SLADE!

MasterOfPuppets said:

i think this editor would appeal to old-school doomers who grew up on dos editors. which is really cool i think. Slayer, please keep this style in SLADE!

Yeah, like me. The style isn't going away ;)

Also, the 'close map not working' bug is fixed for the next version. Oh and read the text file, too, if you're not sure how to do some things. Line drawing is actually simpler than in DB because you don't even have to be in linedef mode to start it ;)