Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erleom

how do i make rooms and doors?

i have no idea how to make doors and rooms and when i think i got a room and i go into 3d mode(need help on how to get out of 3d mode) and click on a wall i dont get it...

Draw at least 4 lines, in lines mode, and make them join into a square, there, a room!. Now make another room and make a small room in between, joined onto the walls of the two rooms (dont know how to join sectors in doom builder), and make the two lines where the rooms join the door into "Local door open" lines. You CANT make rooms or things in 3D mode, only change things like textures, texture alignment and lighting

Erleom, Here are simple ways to create a room and a door. I had a similar problem, too, when I first started building my wads. As deathbringer said, to create a room, just draw a square in line def mode. Inorder for you to create a door is very simple. I do not recommend that you connect sectors with a small extension. First create two sectors(Size really does not matter). I recommend that you create a medium sized hallway which will connect the two sectors/rooms. Next, in middle of the hallway or one side of the hallway, make a small box(do not connect the box to the grid; take off the snap to grid option). Do not draw the box so it is penetrating the extension hallway; it must be within the sector or there will be a lot of glitches. Make sure that the little dashes on that small box is facing outward. This enables the use of the door. After creating this box, carefully attach the vertices of it to the grid(You may now enable the snap to grid option). After doing this, make sure that the sector(Which is the door now) is connected properly. If it is, you may go into 3D mode and modify the the look of the level.

P.S.: To get out of 3D mode, press "w" on your keyboard. (This can also be used to go into 3D mode.)

-Alando1

It's best to just fool around and you'll eventually get a hang of it all. Looking up tutorials and help revolving on this can help at times.

I too play around with Doom Builder to get the feel of it. It is another wise choice for Erleom. Getting the feel of it is most important, I do agree.

-Alando1

Those are two good editors I have used, to good effect, they have wizards of sorts to help with making stairs and doors and lifts. Give one of them a try.

Maybe even look at Doom Builder.

Good, luck I hope to see your maps when you make them!

I think you are deepsea. It is no really for you because later you get many lineDef errors and etc.
I say just something:

DOOM BUILDER!!!!

It is the best editor 4 newB´s (like me) It is really easy and later you can get another editor for doing more details (then deepsea).
I make maps 4 doom Legacy and it is fun!!! you can create the lumps and put it inside. It marks your code in many colors and shows you what´s wrong (debuggin´).

If I were you , i would take doom builder. If you have problems , go to yahoo! for example and write on the search bar :
"Doom Builder Guide".
That´s all

[offtopic]
It's still cool to see that new mappers pop into our community even though Doom has almost 12 years on its back :)
[/offtopic]