Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jon

hi-res sprites: which ports, etc.

I am interested in starting some sprites. Before I do, I'd like to know if any ports support hi-resolution sprites, and whether I should keep this in mind.

One of the original reasons the freedoom project was started was to get a pool of high-resolution textures. At the time no ports supported them, but it was a chicken-and-egg situation, so we tried to create some and then there'd be motivation for the ports to support them. Unfortunately it didn't *quite* work out like that.

So, looking around I see mention of hi-res sprites in doomsday and EDGE but I'm not sure about them. What's people's advice?

EDGE has supported "higher detail" sprites for quite a while, by using a scale command in DDF (so all sprites of a monster need to be the same dimensions).

The up-n-coming 1.29 release allows more colours with PNGs, which are defined in IMAGES.DDF, so you can't just replace the existing sprite lumps with png images (other ports may allow this, I haven't looked into it yet).

It would be great if Freedoom could have higher resolution and/or higher colour graphics (not just sprites, everything). In a separate package, of course. Some of the sprites I've made I should be able to create more detailed versions.

Wonderful! Do zdoom and jdoom need the frames to be proportional to the originals for scaling, too? By any factor or a fixed one - in the former case, do you think 2x or 4x is enough or should I go for something cur-azy?

edit: I will actually be non-lazy at some point and read up on the ports you've suggested. I also think turning out some kind of doc for the FD wiki is a good plan, for this and whatever the current state-of-the-art is for textures and graphics, too.

I know for ZDoom scaling of sprites is done using a dehacked or decorate lump and indicating Scale = 1.00 ...where you can chose scale by decimal value and not just 2x 3x or so on.

So you could use the scale command in Dehacked aswell? How and were? That would give me Alot more freedom in my endevour, endevor, however its spelled

Scuba Steve said:

All you have to do is add

Scale = X.X

in the object's entry and it will work. It's very simple.

God Bless you, lol