Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Submerge

Another 'first' question.

Yeah,yeah, everyone has answered questions about the first time they saw doom, played deathmatch, etc etc. Now here is a more abstract question:

What is the first thing you SAID after seeing doom for the first time?

Personally, I said:

'Is that Spear of Destiny?'

Yeah, I'm a dork. I know.

i saw it for the first time over 10 years ago. how am i supposed to remember?

I saw it for the first time 10 years ago. I remembered. So why shouldn't other people?

For you in particular though, I may blame head trauma or chemical abuse :P j/k

I dont remember what i said when i played it, but i remember when i heard my friend had it: "You have DOOM? wow!, i gotta come round and try that out!", i couldnt belive i was gonna experience such a godly, and unattainable game in mere days rather than years. 2 years later i got my very own version on the playstation, and in 1999 finally got a PC and the 'real' version

I was pissed off because I was stuck in the first room of E1M1.

(I was only about 8 at the time and I didn't know the door was a door.)

(This WAS my first time seeing Doom: It just happens that I was playing at the same time :))

My first reaction was like 'What kind of stupid shit is this?' and left the game alone for 2 weeks.

After playing for real I changed my opinion. ;)

"Wow, this looks just like Wolfenstein...but with demons, stairs, and stuff."
- My first reaction when I saw my cousin playing it.

TheDarkArchon said:

I was pissed off because I was stuck in the first room of E1M1.

(I was only about 8 at the time and I didn't know the door was a door.)

(This WAS my first time seeing Doom: It just happens that I was playing at the same time :))

haha me too but I was like 4

Actually the thing i said was "ah thats MUCH better" because I got doom just for higher res than the snes... and higher gamma as well.

I said something like "why are those monsters shooting at me, how do you shoot back"
Yeah I know I was a bit of a dork back then...still am actually hehehehe:)

The first time I saw it was in a magazine preview (PC Format I believe), and upon examining the first screenshot I believe my initial thought was something like "woah, those stairs look great!", closely followed by "wow, lighting effects!" :)

I'm not sure what my first thought when actually playing the game was, but I remember encountering that first Imp on the ledge in E1M1 and thinking something along the lines of "crap, this thing is going to kill me". My immediate reaction upon meeting the Barons for the first time was "run away run away run away".

I really don't know, probably..."Wow! This Moniter is so big, the game looks great!" At the time, the moniter was huge, now, it's the piss-ant stuff that JC Penny Clerks use.

I actually received Doom and Doom2 at the same time, so I thought "Well, the sequel's gotta be better." and played doom2 first. Big mistake. By level 4 (The Focus) I could barely move in the seat from the "atmosphere" of the game. Yes, it had scared me shitless, but I thought it was heaps better than wolfenstein.

Then me and my Dad tried to get a network going. Do you guys remeber the coaxil and those damn terminators? Pain in the ass to set up. When we got it working, it brought both our 386 and 486 to their knees with lag. But we were amazed that we could see each other and shoot eatch other.

So I had said after playing Doom that "How can you get a more technically advanced game?"

I never spoke a word during the game because my dad wanted the best atmosphere out of his game. I watched him play, on HMP, until he got the chaingun in E1M2, when I finally uttered:

"That's the chaingun?! Weak!"

You see, I'd been spoiled by the one in Wolf3D.

When I first played DOOM on the PSX I didn't say anything, but my brother was playing and he walked up to a door and said "WOW!!! whats that!!!!??"

First time was Doom II... Didn't say anything, I was so sucked into the game... But thought to myself "THIS ROCKS!!!" (Compared to Wolf 3D)

I was in eighth grade at the time I bought the shareware version of Doom I. My parents had bought a computer at CompUSA some six months back, around the same time I saw Doom II released there. After I finished E1M3 around 11 PM that night, I took a shower and relived what I had just seen. I was speechless, but I knew once I finished my shower I had to go back and play some more.

I remember buying Ultimate Doom two summers later and while the feeling of awe wasn't quite there, I had a blast going through the four episodes, one by one. I didn't get Doom II until about 21 months ago, strangely enough at the same CompUSA where I first saw Doom II eight years ago.

MacWadMaker said:

First time was Doom II... Didn't say anything, I was so sucked into the game... But thought to myself "THIS ROCKS!!!" (Compared to Wolf 3D)

You didn't like wolf 3D? Or just comparing the two?

When I first played Doom, I was scared shitless by the Demons (I was six...). It was the SNES version.

I hid the cartridge somewhere where I would never see it again. I ended up finding it again four years later. I put the thing back in and it didn't scare me anymore. What I didn't realize was that there was a computer until I saw a Doom Shareware download on the internet 1 and a half years ago. I bought the Collector's Edition the same week.

I said something. I was hooked once I blew up a guy with the rocket launcher so I may have said soem thing good.

I tried DOOM for the 1st time in a PCstore of some name I can't remember. They had it on display on a monitor/keypad for customers to try out. After some other kid got forced off cuz his momma was gettin' impatient, I tried it out. It was on the "Phobos Lab" level where the game's music score was at it's CREEPY-ist. It was one of the only few times I ever played ANY kind of game on a pc and "0" experience gaming on a keyboard. And DOOM was something NEW and OUTLANDISH thing happening on in the pc relm according to some the PC magazines they had in the store. I got killed pretty quickly, and I just shrugged off it and moved on to other areas in the store. And no matter how many times circled that pc section of the store, (It had to be a least 7 or 8 times!) I kept finding myself back in front of that pc monitor, looking at it. Staring at IT! GLARING AT IT!! HARRRDDD!! And the pc geek at the pay counter was really gettin' uncomfortable(like how you white people ALWAYS get when a black person is wondering around in your stores) So he says, "Are you OK?" "What do you mean, Am I Ok?" I said back. "Why you kept staring at the monitor for?" he asks. I said "What's the name of this game?" "OHH!" he said relaxin' "That's "DOOM" my man". I looked at it some more, "DOOM?" Is that all?" I said. He takes off his glasses and looks at me hard with wide and wild psychocic eyes. "Well, isn't that enough?" It keeps callin' you doesn't it. It's a weird feeling in your heart and pit of your stomach. Like a SICK addiction. Even after your long gone from this store and your back home in your room and things are quiet, your gonna start thinking about it. Thinking about DOOOOOOOMMMMMM!! It keeps calling for you. Like it did to me. Like it does to everybody. Your gonna get possesed and your gonna become "DOOMED"

Damned if he weren't right, I've been DOOMED ever since.

Tsar,

Something like:
'Dad, look out for that man'
I was about 5 watching him play

First time I saw DOOM it was DOS DOOM and it blew me away! I really couldn't get into WOLF 3D the graphics were just too cartoon-ish. Went right out an bought it (DOS DOOM)!

The first time I played Doom I thought that the imp in the last room in E1M1 was a boss.

I knew what it was the second I seen it being played! I said "holy shit that looks awsome"! Let me play!
After years of computer gaming I was waiting for doom's release, I was sick of playing games like Raptor, Aces over Europe, Iron Cross, and Commander Keen...

Probably something like 'Can I play.'
My Dad had a disk with a whole lot of crappy games on it and Doom2 was there. I used to be very scared playing it so I used to enjoy watching the demos during the titlescreen.
I also used to get my dads friend to play so I could watch him.

I used to watch my dad play the shareware version, and each night I would anxiously wait for him to go into his computer room so I could pull up a chair and watch.
It's funny because I remember constantly going "OMG I THINK THATS A SECRET OVER THERE!!!" and he would go over to a wall or something and press on it and nothing would happen. I did it over and over and eventually I pissed him off to the point where he gave me my own copy. Heh.