Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Higher Game

What's the best resolution to play at?

I've been playing at 640x480, which makes the screen a little thicker and easier to aim. However, it's harder to hide behind walls. Sometimes I hide and get hit anyway, so it takes some getting used to.

Also, is it possible to play Doom at high resolutions from a mod or something? Just wondering.

If you take a look at ZDoom, it allows you to play at resolutions up to whatever your monitor supports. Several other source ports allow for this as well, without the screen distortion that Doom95 has (visible in the weapon graphics, etc).

I always play at 1280x1024, my desk res. no complaints.
EDIT: whoa weasel

Once you get past a certain resolution, you can't really notice a difference any more. On my 22" Iiyama, ZDoom in 2048x1536 looks pretty much the same the same as 1280x1024.

Of course, I strongly suspect this only applies to software ports. I haven't tried it myself, since I don't often use anything other than ZDoom, and haven't played ZDoomGL or JDoom since I was stuck with a puny 14"er :).

NiGHTMARE said:

Once you get past a certain resolution, you can't really notice a difference any more. On my 22" Iiyama, ZDoom in 2048x1536 looks pretty much the same the same as 1280x1024.

Of course, I strongly suspect this only applies to software ports. I haven't tried it myself, since I don't often use anything other than ZDoom, and haven't played ZDoomGL or JDoom since I was stuck with a puny 14"er :).

The only difference is less aliasing in higher resolutions - and that can be noticable - especially with software rendering.

Actually, in OpenGL the differences are far less pronounced due to the texture filtering.

Personally, I've seen little reason to go above 640x480,,, however bigger is better and now that I've got a better screen (17" LCD) I've been playing in 1280x1024 mostly.

Higher Game said:
I've been playing at 640x480

640x400 is probably a better choice, as the engine does not need to resize the sprites in any way. The DOOM graphics were drawn with a 1.6 ratio in mind; if you look carefully, you'll see standard 320x200 screenshots look squat in Windows.

I personally use 320x200; the only other choice is "low detail" for me, for the most part, though I tend to set it like that anyway on any engine except the ones with video acceleration.

I run it at 800x600, because the resizing artifacts are not as noticable, and because I run the game windowed on a 1024x768 desktop.

I usually play in a 640x480 window, stretched to cover nearly the full screen.

Any higher resolution and I don't get my precious 100+ fps.

Fredrik said:

Any higher resolution and I don't get my precious 100+ fps.

Is that really worth the low resolution? When I play 1280x1024 I normally get the full 85 Hz my monitor supports so any faster wouldn't help me at all.

I only get around 40 fps in 1024x768, and 50 fps in 800x600.

Oddly enough, 320x240 (350 fps) feels slightly smoother than 640x480 despite both frame rates being well over my monitor's refresh rate.

fraggle said:

I dont notice any difference in quality going past 640x4?0.

That depends on the monitor. On mine anything below 800x600 exhibits a clearly visible line structure.

I only play at 320x240. Anything above that looks just wrong to me. I like the grittiness of the pixels.

I play at 1024x768. My monitor is set to 1152x864 but when I play on that particular resolution in ZDoom it just looks stretched and ugly so 1024x768 is best for me. :)

I hope this doesn't turn into a war about what res is better...

1024x768 for me.

The resolution isn't a big deal for me (I don't mind using Doom2.exe's 320x200), but I generally* use whatever is the largest the program + my monitor will allow (and always fullscreen). My default port is glboom 2.2.6, and on my desktop machine I use 1600x1200. My best notebook has a maximum screen resolution of 1680x1050, so I use 1280x1024 on that. I don't experience any significant slowdown compared with lower resolutions (nuts.wad is good for testing this), so why not?

As for the "best" resolution, I'm not sure that question has a definite answer. Whatever works well on your system and that you feel happy with.

* Exceptions:
- Doomsday, where I set it to match my default desktop resolution (currently 1152x864), since it tends to resize the desktop to whatever size it was using if it crashes.
- The old Prboom 2.02, where there are some minor sound issues at certain resolutions - 800x600 is generally safe. Incidentally, Prboom 2.02 is willing to use almost any silly resolution that you ask it to, including 320x1200 and 1600x200.
- Current versions of prboom.exe (2.2.x), where I use 640x480, as it seems most stable.

800x600 is what I usually use, its a good middle ground between 640x480, the lowest i'll use, and 1024x768, the highest my monitor supports.

I always use 400x300. Anything higher, and the game seems too "empty". I have this thing where the screen resolution should match the detail in architecture.

WildWeasel said:

I run it at 800x600, because the resizing artifacts are not as noticable, and because I run the game windowed on a 1024x768 desktop.

Ditto.
I use the exact same settings. This never lets me down.

On my desktop, I always play Doom at 1280*1024.

Anything below 1152*864 starts looking like crap on my monitor. The lower you get, the worse it gets. Graf Zahl knows what I'm talking about, with the black gaps starting to appear and stuff.

On my laptop, I play at 512*384, because for some reason it will stretch it to full screen if I do that, but if I move it to 640*480 it will do the small box thing that LCD's do. Any lower res, and I can't get anything to run.

640x480 or 800x600 are good for me...
1024x768 is too high for my 15in.
I need to get an LCD, the VLF emissions are cooking my brain.

exp(x) said:

I only play at 320x240. Anything above that looks just wrong to me. I like the grittiness of the pixels.

I have prboom set to use "GL_NEAREST" mode because it doesn't feel right to me when the textures are antialiased.