Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nekr0s1s

I want to create a source port

i downloaded the doom source code yesterday, but i need some help.
which program i should use to modify and compile the source code?

my basic concept is to create a combination of Zdoom with Jdoom.
this means that you'll have all the zdoom features, plus the Jdoom features. also, i want to make zdoom and jdoom levels compatible with my port. so, you could play zdoom or jdoom levels in my port.

what do you guys think of my idea?

Do you even know what your getting into? You're trying to combine two very different programs, while making the final result compatible with both of them. Good luck.

EDIT: 100th post!

Step 1, learn to program. If you don't know what you need to edit the source code then you obviously don't have a clue about programming.

Try making a few crossword puzzles, then move on to the Doom engine.

where i can find a good program to modify and compile the source code? and where i can learn about programming? (ex: a website with tutorials, a .PDF document, etc.)

also, i decided to call the source port, LEdoom. (LE stands for the initials of my first name.)

Listen I hate to burst your bubble, but if you don't even know how to compile and edit the source you are probably not ready to create a source port. C and C++ are not easy languages to learn, and I have barely even gotten past console programming with them. This is not something you can probably do immediatly. It is a lot more complex than you may think. You will need to know basic C++ and graphics in windows and you will also need to learn OpenGL. Merging the two ports will not be just copying a few lines of code.

However it is a great idea to learn a programming language. In fact it may one the best decisions of your life if it works out :) Just don't expect to be producing stuff like this immediatly.

Might as well stuff in PrBoom, now that you're at it!

Hmm,

IMO, Risen3D has already combined BOOM with JDoom succesfully with a couple of extra tricks such as 3D floors. Why hasn't anyone but me started to mod for it?

Because, creating 3D Floors for Risen is a pain in the ass, that's why. It's a completely different system from any other port that uses 3D floors, and it was not designed with Doom in mind.

At least, that's my personal reason why I gave up on making a level for Risen.

Other than that, however, I love the sourceport. It's my number 1 choice for playing regular Doom/Doom2/Boom levels, since it's the only GL source port that displays most software hacks correctly, and plus, it runs the smoothest (best FPS) out of all of the GL source ports.

Graham really did a great job in optimizing it so it wouldn't be anywhere near as taxing on your PC as other GL source ports are.

Nuxius said:

Because, creating 3D Floors for Risen is a pain in the ass, that's why. It's a completely different system from any other port that uses 3D floors, and it was not designed with Doom in mind.

No one says you have to have 3D floors in a level if a port supports it. Just use dynamic lighting and ambient sounds. Or isn't that made for doom?

Anyways, Dudu Crazy, Good luck. Hope it gos well. Don't get discouraged. Unlike me. Heh

Might as well stick with jDoom then, since more people tend to use it. Even more so when we get 1.87 with Boom support (finally!).

None the less, Risen will probably always have it's place for playing stock Doom/Doom 2/Boom levels for me, even if I don't ever make anything for it.

Also, if you're impressed with the editing features Risen provides, wait until you get ahold of Vavoom. 3D Floors + Slopes + High Res textures + Poly Models + Dynamic Lighting + Ambient Sounds + ACS scripting, etc etc.

I'm not really to keen on it as far as playing Doom levels goes, but when it comes to a TC, this engine is great.

Nuxius said:

I'm not really to keen on it as far as playing Doom levels goes, but when it comes to a TC, this engine is great.

^

I think that sums up Vavoom perfectly. The engine has a lot of potential but unfortunately for just playing Doom it is rather useless due to various technical issues.

But: Where are those TC's?

Exactly. I don't really like it all to much. Doesn't look the best either IMO

dynamic lighting would be great. And better support for md2 models (and better models... sorry to say but they're ugly)

Fredrik said:

Sounds like a great idea!

I'm looking forward to seeing your port in action!

EDIT: Don't mind the people trying to put you down, they're just jealous because they didn't think of it first.

I had thought of an idea like this before, just never thought that anybody would EVER devote that much time into making it.

DuduCrazy said:

where i can learn about programming?

Jesus man, your way in over your head. I think the best place for you to start is with the unnoficial doom editing specs by Matt fell. For resources you can do a basic google search and turn up about 1000 web sites that will outline stuff.

Now that i think about it, instead of trying to do a sourceport, try your hand in doing stuff with vavooms progs. There you can cut and paste stuff from hexen, heretic and strife directly into doom. If there is a problem, the compiler will most likely tell you. This way you can build an understanding of what the code is doing and learn at the very least how to read what is going on.

skadoomer said:

Jesus man, your way in over your head.

lol he has humor though :P . Starting with a 3D engine is a bad thing. But i have a PDF of 400 pages that teaches you how to create a 3d engine in directx 9. Email me: robindegen@gmail.com . Oh yea... Visual C++ 6 or Visual C++ .NET is required.

Thank you to the various people who have provided helpful information in this thread. You know, I started out thinking DOOM was a good way to learn C too. It wasn't, but it WAS a good motivator to learn it quickly.

well i did pick up some things while programming with the wolf3d engine, but before that i had years of experiance with basic, visual basic, and various scripting languages (like php, wdl and cs)

Backseat modding is hardly any way to earn brownie points around here, you know :P