Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dark_Shadow4002

Fatal Disaster Updates

Here is a couple of links to my screeshot pages for fatal disaster. and a link to the description.

E1M1

E1M2

Description

Since WIP is inaccessable for me now i have to use my forum and DW exclusively to give updates and info :) So feel free to comment or give some suggestions.

Amazing as usual. You really should put your efforts into doom3 or HL2 mapping. If someone can refer me to someone who puts better(not more, but better) detail into their maps I'll be impressed.

P.S. Catch me on msn, I'd like to beta test the rest of what you've done!

i suck at 3d mapping :P i am trying to learn how to do it....but i am not to worried about making maps for D3 when the ports for classic doom are getting better and better :)

I really hope this doesn't turn into another "OMG RIPSZZZ SUK" thread, then again, with these hi-rez beauties, they look nothing like rips, jag-less and all.

Dark_Shadow4002 said:

i suck at 3d mapping

While I havent really learned how to use a builder that well, it's not that hard at all. Once you have enough experience with 2-d editing, going into 3-d editing is like a walk in the park. It's just more complex and relys more on scenery and textures/flats, rather than more sectors to make detail.

Ive seen the weapons in action, there sweet go with the 32bit textures well. And the mapping is amazing as well.....

I have no idea why people have trouble with 3d editing. Maybe they lack a dimensional sense? Hmph.

Oh, those weapons are cool.

And screenshots kick ass. Dark shadows rocks at mapping :)

@bloodskull,

Well, to be honest, i love doom3 don't get me wrong, but i feel i should leave the 3d mapping to the pros..IE, Agent Spork, Kaiser and Kristus. I will sooner or later learn how the damn doomedit works :P And i still lvoe good ole classic doom, teh ease of editing and since sourceports are getting better and better as time goes on, hell its making classic look like doom3 and still easy as hell to make maps for :D

@NMN,

Its not that i lack "dimensional foresight" its just i lack teh "talent" with the editing tools for full 3d games :) Yes, with time i could get decent with them, but i am comfortable with regular old doom mapping :)

If onyl 3D editing was as simple as adding one more dimension to 2D editing, most 3D editors have FOUR screens for ball shitsnakes sake!, whereas as creating a 2D doom map is like drawing up a floor-plan, dead easy

PS, Map looks amazing, release anytime soon? (Gotta carry on with Rig doom)

I had a lot of trouble with 3D editing at first. Then I sat down and started really working on it for an hour or two. Now basic 3D editing is a snap for me, although I'm still not good at it enough to create masterpieces

Bloodskull said:

While I havent really learned how to use a builder that well, it's not that hard at all. Once you have enough experience with 2-d editing, going into 3-d editing is like a walk in the park. It's just more complex and relys more on scenery and textures/flats, rather than more sectors to make detail.

Yes, sure it is. Cough. I prefer 2D stuff.

I have no idea why people have trouble with 3d editing. Maybe they lack a dimensional sense? Hmph.

Exactly.

It is also the reason why people love 3D preview mode that some Doom editors have. It's because they have a poor understanding of three dimensional space and can't see in their minds eye what the level will look like from the 2D "floor plan".

Right there Dani

I always wondered what it would be if DB had a side-view. Doom is not only about floorplans. Wolfenstein and the likes of it were (except RoTT). In Doom we've got a variable height so we need that 3rd dimension ;)

Well, I think dark_shadow has a pretty good sense of 3d, seeing as all the extrafloors (3d floors) aren't visible in doom builder's 3d mode, so he did a good job visualizing them and tweaking them so they look great in-game(and there's tons of them for even small details!).

Anyway darkshadow, i'm still in exams right now, so when im done (monday is my last one) then it would be great if I could try your latest beta... and also I can get back to work on mouac full time.

I have a good "3D outlook" in my mapping and i utilize the 3d preview mode in DB.

MY truthful reason for not getting huge into 3d Mapping IE..doom3 HL2.etc..etc. is my laziness in learning a new form of mapping. Maybe when i get this project done i will jack around more with radient and such to make D3 maps and stuff....but not anytime soon.

And NMN i agree a "side" mode would be great for DB mainly so that you wouldn't have to switch from normal view to 3d preview mode all the time to see your height changes and relations. Also DB would be ACE if it had in 3d preview to see your 3d sectors...but i gotta use as dani said my "minds eye" to guestimate the look of the 3d sectors...now most peopel when using 3d sectors think "mathematically" when making their height variations with either regular or 3d sectors...i think outsode of the box and honestly flow with whay i feel "looks" right insted of what by the numbers appears to be right.

edit: Also, when i make my maps for the most complex bits, i usually draw out the idea in my head on some paper in full 3d so that when i make the 2d floor plan it translates MUCH easier and i can actualyl see whats being built, Like most of the shots of E1M2 are in my sketch book with guestimate heights and such...but mostly i wing the heights till they fit the map perfectly. So i guess in a sence, using my sketch pad kind of helps as a full 3d preivew in some respects but of course the drawings look crappier :P

BUMP!

sorry for the bump, but i figured i would let everyone see whats been going on the lat week or so, i have gone graphic crazy so to speak wit hediting the textures to give off a more deep doom3 feel. So if you are interested please go look at the screens links that i posted in this thread :)

Feel free to chime off some critiques :)

Darkshadow: Nice pics, about 3d editing. It doesn't take much time to learn really. Took me a week.

Yet another bump :P

I got sick of teh lame ass look of the E1m1 map i had made originally so i decided to RE-MAKE it...uits about 30%-40% complete...but it fits with e1m2 and the parts of e1m3 i have gotten done. so here are the shots of the re build of e1m1.

Shots

any thoughts?