Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mikedm92

Whats the name of this scream?

I want to do a little research on the infamous, "YEERRRRAAAAAGGHHHH!!!!" scream but I don't know the name of it. It's in Weird Al's Jurassic Park song and I also heard it in the Quake 4 E3 trailer when the Strogg is dragging a marine. Can anyone name this scream?

EDIT: And no, it's not the Willhelm Scream.

Fredrik said:

You mean the one you also hear when you jump from a tall height in Dark Forces?

Yeah, exactly.

It's a stock soundbite. You'll hear it in action movies made in the last 50 years of varying budgets. It's actually risen to gimmick status in the Star Wars series (as you should be able to hear it at least once per episode). I've found that there's three of these screams, though-- always in the order of "ARRGH" "AIEEE" "AAUGH".

Also, try the Indiana Jones movies.

Numbermind said:

It's a stock soundbite. You'll hear it in action movies made in the last 50 years of varying budgets. It's actually risen to gimmick status in the Star Wars series (as you should be able to hear it at least once per episode). I've found that there's three of these screams, though-- always in the order of "ARRGH" "AIEEE" "AAUGH".

Also, try the Indiana Jones movies.

No, you're thinking of Wilhelm Scream,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream

oh the randomperson falling from a height scream. i love that one. I used to push stormtroopers off ledges in jedi knight just for that.

Jehar said:

oh the randomperson falling from a height scream. i love that one. I used to push stormtroopers off ledges in jedi knight just for that.

Heh, yeah. Either falling a long distance or on fire. :D

You can hear that scream in Starcraft as well. You click on the Terran Academy, IIRC.

EDIT: Crap. Never mind. I was thinking about a different scream sound...

Lizardcommando said:

You can hear that scream in Starcraft as well. You click on the Terran Academy, IIRC.

They must be working very hard indeed. OR else they are being tortured.

Kochipahk said:

They must be working very hard indeed. OR else they are being tortured.

More likely being experimented on by mad scientists.

Lizardcommando said:

EDIT: Crap. Never mind. I was thinking about a different scream sound...

Zuh? That scream is there isn't it?

Oooh, wait a second. He is talking about that scream! (Not the Wilhelm scream) Haha! Ok, that is the same scream from Starcraft. I was getting confused with what screams people were talking about...

Ok, so it is the scream from Starcraft where you click on the Terran Academy...

It's also the scream in a game when you set some one on fire. Can't remember which one. It's also been heard on australian television on a wide variety of ads. In short, it's a generic sound bite freely available, I'd say when a sound guy needs a sound effect that sounds like a nasty scream? Insert that. It's generic, but damn it's still effective.

Actually the way it was mixed in the Quake 4 trailer was pretty dumb and ineffective.

Yeah, it does sound kinda obvious in the trailer and it doesn't help I've heard it many many many many times before.

What about the scream that is used in so many wads in place of the doom marine's standard scream? It seems like it's in every other deathmatch wad, and for some reason I want to say it was from Blood, though I can't be sure.

Bloodshedder said:

I believe that one is from Hexen or Heretic.

Sure enough, that was from Hexen. The cleric sounds the least filtered, i.e. the closest match to the DM wad scream. What's funny is that it's used in radio commercial for a local classic rock station, though the "woosh" sound that the Icon of Sin cubes make are in those damn WB 18 commercials.
I read up on the Wilhelm scream last night from the posted link, I kind of noticed that in the Star Wars movies, though it's funny that it's so commonly used. Most sound effects aren't, they're just tired. :-/

I think that would be the one this thread is about.

EDIT: Now that I think, it might be a different one.

EDIT2: Nope, that's it all right...