• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mikedm92

Killzone 2 - Prerendered or In-Game?

If you haven't seen it, check it out yourself:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/killzone2/index.html?q=killzone+2

Click on Game Demonstration.

Now, there is a lot of doubt here and there about whether this is in-game or not. I would think that the particle effects shown in that video would be too much for any PS3, X360, or computer to handle. But then again, I'm no expert so I guess my opinion is invalid. What do you guys think?

By the way, Gamespot had a rumor mill on it:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/killzone2/news_6126204.html

Also notice that the FPS stays at a perfect 60 throughout the whole thing. Even when the car explodes and the airplane crashes. That can't be right; there are too many particles coming out to run that smoothly.

Judging by the PS3 specs, I don't see why that couldn't be an ingame video.

Prerendered OF COURSE. And even if it was running in real time, which it's not, it's quite obviously not a "real" gameplay demo, everything is much too smooth and perfectly flowing.

Whether this demo is pre-rendered or not, with a processor speed of 3.2, and a 3D card better than any 3D card currently commercially available for the PC, the PS3 will certainly be capable of doing this in real time.

Pre-rendered: The developers themselves said at E3 that the video was "representative of possible gameplay".

There's no way that could be real.

(Holy crap, did you see that frickin' chopper explode?)

Janderson said:

The Earth? Round? Impossible!!

I think the phrase is "unpossible!"

Linguica said:

Prerendered OF COURSE. And even if it was running in real time, which it's not, it's quite obviously not a "real" gameplay demo, everything is much too smooth and perfectly flowing.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=9051

GamesIndustry.biz: One question on the lips of many people at the moment: how much of what we saw in the PlayStation 3 demos was actually running in real-time?

Phil Harrison: Everything in the demos was real-time.

And what about the game footage clips?

Not all of that - in fact, none of it was real-time because it was all running off video. If you make a presentation to two and a half thousand people, you're going to put some of it on video just to be on the safe side.

I've been asked this question a lot. The way we put those videos together, everything was done to specification. Everything was done to PS3 spec. Virtually everything used in-game assets; some things were rendered.

So it was realtime rendered on hardware done to PS3 spec. Heavenly scripted but real time rendered.

But.....

OH LAAAWD!!

*DaJuices suicides*

First off, there is a huge qualitative difference between Gears of War, which I have no problem believing will run on the PS3, and the Killzone video, which to me screams rendered sequence.

Some more clues as to why many people think it's fake: The liberal use of polygons. Like Doom3 Gears of War makes use of normal mapping. You can see the facets on the models. The KZ video seems to use actual geometry for all the detail. That doesn't sounds right. What other next-gen title has indicated that you can now just write-off things like polygon-budgets?

Then there is the perfect sampling on the motion blur, The flawless anti-aliasing when many of the PS3 demos are reported to still show aliasing. Or how about what appears to be some beautiful dynamic soft shadows from indirect light sources?

I'll admit that some of these effects could possibly be faked convincingly. I just don't think Guerilla would be the guys to pull it off, and you gotta take into account that they didn't even have dev-kits last August.

Then there is the fact that the Sony PR guys have given bullshit side-stepping answers when asked about this. Also, reputable industry folks on cgtalk have reported that the video was in fact done by an outside studio, but because the studio is under a NDA from Sony they can't say shit.

Yeah.

Zoost said:

So it was realtime rendered on hardware done to PS3 spec.

Some guy said:

none of it was real-time because it was all running off video.

I interpret all this confusing talk as "offline rendering that's supposedly representative of what the game will look like running on the PS3 someday". Which I guess is sort of a lame way of showing off your game ideas. But hey, that video is damn exciting to look at.

Gears of War = instant hardon.

The final word - it was pre-rendered out by a company out over in the UK.

Don't be fooled,Sony is trying to fool everyone into thinking that the PS3 will blow the Xbox 360 away.

NiGHTMARE said:

ROFL, as if Microsoft never used bogus video footage for anything!

Not only that, but Microsoft made a really stupid move during the E3 press conference. When they were showing off Xbox 360 games, they made Dead or Alive 4 the center piece, even though the graphics in that video could easily be rendered on a modern day PS2, yet they only showed like 30 seconds of Gears of War. I don't give a shit about Dead or Alive, show Gears of War you dumbasses!

mikedm92 said:

Not only that, but Microsoft made a really stupid move during the E3 press conference. When they were showing off Xbox 360 games, they made Dead or Alive 4 the center piece, even though the graphics in that video could easily be rendered on a modern day PS2, yet they only showed like 30 seconds of Gears of War. I don't give a shit about Dead or Alive, show Gears of War you dumbasses!

Hm...boobs or violence? The eternal question.

Pfft, that's not a mistake that's your opinion. Gears of War = Unknown element, It's a new game that's only been unveiled now. As in E3. A lot of games get that at E3, funny that :P. We don't know enough about gears of war to make an opinion and it's not even close to finished. Dead or Alive? It gets a new title every console launch, it's been around a long time and is a damned fun game to boot. As for those graphics on a PS2? PFFT. HAHAHAHAHA. You know the problem with statements like that? Ignorance. Ignorant people making dumb claims.

Go play Tekken 5 and pay close attention to everything, from the fighting to the backgrounds Look at things that happen then go take a close look at the Dead or Alive footage. Tekken 5 is gorgeous, no doubt about that but please, not even fucking close.

Oh and Zoost. Is that yours? Or is that what you found? Come on, if he expected that on a PS2? He was never going to be any less than fucking disappointed. I remember the Getaway launch, it was supposed to be the Vice City killer hyped on how realistic london was ingame. Pity that it was far too ambitious for it's own good. San Andreas doesn't even look close to that good. The renders in that images are the realm of the Playstation 3. Although I could imagine that the PS3 could easily surpass those renders easily. Given the people are sprites and the buildings close to the camera are flat. The car doesn't even look that good. What you'll find is those were mock ups that the artists got together to help gel the game's concept for the rest of the team. Hype promoted those screens.

When it comes to marketing it's right out of the dev teams hands straight into hype. Marketing unfortunately never really has a clue what it's doing, it just wants to sell things never mind things like facts getting in the way. If he wants to be bitter to sony for all time about something he should of seen through. Pfft to him.

Comes back to what I just said. Ignorance.

LorD BaZTArD said:

When it comes to marketing it's right out of the dev teams hands straight into hype. Marketing unfortunately never really has a clue what it's doing, it just wants to sell things never mind things like facts getting in the way. If he wants to be bitter to sony for all time about something he should of seen through. Pfft to him.

Heh, it was pretty funny though "and then it came out".

Pfft, of course that's done real-time on PS3 hardware. Hell, probably PS2 hardware. Doesn't anyone remember? The emotion engine is supposed to be able to be so powerful that it can express emotions on characters' faces!

[/sarcasm]

Also remember that when the PS2 was announced, we had footage then that people thought was in-game. Sony was side-stepping things then, too. And look at PS2 graphics today (and that isn't a shot against the PS2 graphics).

I don't really doubt that that is ingame footage, but it's obviously not real gameplay. Hence, no AI, no physics being calculated, no real anything really, at least how it looks to me. The map doesn't look much bigger than that little bridge area, and I doubt the animations are actually going to be that fluid and realistic when you actually play the game. It's like one giant scripted scene where everything is planned.

Has anyone played the original Killzone? I haven't, but I remember hearing supposedly how the it looked very impressive from screenshots but ingame it didn't look as good.

It looked as good ingame, but the framerate was often less than silky. (Often 25-30 FPS). Also, detail layer transistion wasn't always accurate.

However, it wasn't a one trick pony: It plays pretty damn well.