Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NightmareZer0

Doom Connector shutting down

"We are sorry to bring you this bad news, but we knew this was coming anyway. Doom Connector will shut down at the end of this month, because we dont want to be involved in the multiplayer community anymore. We are often in the middle of the fights and arguing between sourceports and although Doom Connector was solely built to support the sourceports in their multiplayer ability, our support was not always appreciated by everyone. We are simply tired of the multiplayer community in general, so we quit. We thank everyone who has supported us, you have helped us making and running Doom Connector for almost 4 good years."

MOTD in lobby.

This is my fault! I cast an evil spell of turmoil on the DM community, to cause bickering and hate, when I saw Doom Connector forbore Doom.

Because I built it, I always felt the need to defend it. Even when I gave it out and put other people in charge, I couldnt let some offense go by without defending it. Also the bickering between sourceports (zdaemon vs skulltag mainly) has become quite annoying to me and to the other staff. Over the last 2 years this has become worse. In other words: It has become more of a hassle than a hobby.

The summer is coming and I dont want to spend my free summer time with that bullshit on my mind. To the people who liked it, all I can say is sorry, we dont like to work for this multiplayer community and people that love to see us go.

Im going to have a good summer, I will still be working on Doom Builder and I know some of the staff is setting up something private along with a bunch of users, im sure they will have a good time too.

I fully back CodeImp with his decision. I liked Doombuilder, but he's right, some people in this community just don't know when to stfu. A lot of people are complaining and arguing and then don't understand why everyone gets fed up.

I think this is an overreaction, but CodeImp and crew are free to do whatever they want and I respect that.

I can understand some good natured rivally amoung source ports, and I wonder if some of this so-called schism is just that. I do think it is dumb to criticize Doom Connector and the folks supporting it. I bet 90% of this jackassery is instigated by folks under 16 years of age. Given that context, I'd just tell those ungrateful shitheads to go screw themselves.

Well we also seen things said in private we were not supposed to see. You dont see that, we kept it private because the ones involved wouldn't like to see it go in public as they're not really good things and we don't need to stir it up, but it does count and we do remember. The sourceport fights have grown far behond good natured. Badmouthing the sourceports out loud in chat and forums isn't good. No, I have seen too much shit in the last year. They can have their fights, badmouthing and rivalry, but not with my support. I don't get paid for my services anyway, so its not worth the trouble.

bartwart said:

I bet 90% of this jackassery is instigated by folks under 16 years of age. Given that context, I'd just tell those ungrateful shitheads to go screw themselves.

More like 95% under 14 years. If I were Codeimp I'd probably just remove the chatting ability from it altogether. However if it has come to this, then it's probably because he simply couldn't put up with any of it anymore.

Oh, that's pretty bad... I did not even had the chance to test Doom Connector. If there's something that people usually don't show often is respect and recognition and for that i must support CodeImp for his decision. Anyway, I'm not aware of 1% of what happened.

If there's something positive on this matter, is that Doom Builder will get even better.

Bad news, but that's life.

Maybe doomers will now finally understand, that a war between two different sourceports is the most idiotic and retarded thing ever in the history of open source gaming!

Tormentor667 said:

Maybe doomers will now finally understand, that a war between two different sourceports is the most idiotic and retarded thing ever in the history of open source gaming!

Say, what's your opinion on Legacy, out of curiousity?

deathz0r said:

Say, what's your opinion on Legacy, out of curiousity?

Well, I don't use it anymore because ZDoom is by far better in my eyes. But I used to play split-screen matches with a friend of mine years ago with Legacy and it was a lot of fun. Beyond that, Legacy has a lot of interesting and useful features and every sourceport learns from other sourceports so it would be stupid to declare some of them as retarded shit!

bartwart said:

I bet 90% of this jackassery is instigated by folks under 16 years of age. Given that context, I'd just tell those ungrateful shitheads to go screw themselves.

My last post in the thread was made when I was 15. I'm pretty sure fat 23 year olds with no life who argue over which lotr-star wars crossover fanfiction is better with thier equally dumb friends are to blame too.

Tormentor667 said:
Beyond that, Legacy has a lot of interesting and useful features and every sourceport learns from other sourceports so it would be stupid to declare some of them as retarded shit!

Aye, let's be fair...

They're all shit!

insertwackynamehere said:

haha carn you own!

Well he didn't make it from scratch. Codeimp generously donated DC's base, with some modifications, for carn to use.

So, same Doom Connector, just with Skulltag only. Interesting. Well, Skulltag -only is better than none whatsoever. Great idea, Carn.

It's pretty stupid to shut a software down because people argue things only of their opinion. Arguments are what makes life is life. Arguments happen everyday in the world. People say ST sucks, legacy sucks, etc is based on their opinion. It doesn't mean DC should shut down because a group of ST haters say ST sucks. You gotta think hard over it codeimp. It helps to ask your parents about this kind of stuff.